PDA

View Full Version : Almost new in MN

shovelhead86
12-09-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm new to this diesel truckin. I bought a 37 ft 5th wheel. Then come upon the realization that I needed something to pull it with. I have a 2011 F350 4x4 SRW 6.7 turbo diesel on order. I ordered the SRW because will only be pulling 15% of the time and I don't need to be burning up rubber just for looks the rest of the time.
I need any help anyone can offer. i am especially concerned with DEF freezing and breaking the tank or hoses or pump. It must have a pump?

MnTom
12-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Welcome to The Diesel Site!! Glad to have you here!
For the DEF, I have read it does freeze at 12*. My understanding is that you don't want to overfill the tank when it gets cold so that the DEF can expand. There is also a tank heater of some sort so that when the truck needs the DEF it will be thawed out. In other words from what I have been able to find out you shouldn't have any problems. Besides, it don't get that cold in Florida where you should be all winter!!!

stodg73
12-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Welcome to THE Diesel Truck Site. You might ask the dealer what the freeze tremp of the DEF is and if it is something to worry about. The DEF is UREA, and available at most truck stops. I don't think it will freeze as it is a ammonia solution and the freeze point is low.

MnTom
12-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Oh, by the way..... I want to see lots of pictures (in your album) when you pick it up and before you go south and get it dirty!