The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > General Diesel Forum

Welcome to the forum!
When you register you will have access to our "Downloads" section and our "Lounge" forums!

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Forum If It Doesn't Fit In The Brand Forums

Old 04-09-2015, 10:52 AM

Default electric tachometer

looking around to replace my cable driven tach on an older tractor. I replaced the engine a few years ago with a combine engine, which of course does not have the provision for cable drive!
So, looks like the next best way to economically get this tractor converted would be an 'alternator driven' tach.
Stewart Warner has a couple that are 'hall effect' type that uses an adapter that screws on the oem tach drive cable output, then sends a wire up to the tach, eliminating the cable.. And after reading several 'product descriptions'.. "alternator driven" comes up from time to time.
I'd like to find one that is the 0-3500 rpm range, hourmeter would be nice too.
3 3/8ths diameter is the size

'Faria' is an import tach that specifically claims 'alternator driven'... and they are really cheap! (too cheap??)
I sent an inquiry to SW about my predicament, and am awaiting reply.. Any of you guys know if any of SW's tachs are alternator driven?
My tractor now has an alternator that includes the 'w' terminal, just for this purpose.
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter
Old 04-09-2015, 12:34 PM
Administrator

I don't have any experience with electronic tachs like what you want, but are you going to have a problem calibrating it? All of them I looked at required calibration and needed another way to measure the RPMs to do that. I did see that Autometer has one that has a sensor that clamps to the alternator housing where the laminations are, but if you have the proper hook up then you are good to go. Just remember, these are like all other things you buy. Usually the cheaper the price the cheaper the construction.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:46 AM

A couple of newer tractors (1980's) lol, use alternator driven tachs. There is a terminal specifically for the tach hookup. ac delco calls it the 'w' terminal. I've seen it called the 'r' terminal too..
From what I can tell, there is an adjustment screw on the back of the tach, for calibration.
I could just hook it all up, and Idle the engine. ( I know my engine idles at 850) and just set the tach accordingly..
I've run this tractor too many years without a tach.. and pretty much run the dang thing 'by ear'.. But I am starting to get my kid more involved with running it.. and need to have a way to keep track on how fast certain implements need to be run.
I see there are 'flywheel' magnet versions too. I wonder how many mags are needed.. just one, or several?
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter
Old 04-10-2015, 07:42 PM
Administrator

I would think that the alternator type would probably be your best bet. If you put magnets on the flywheel what would happen if by some odd chance you lost one? If the alternator quits.... Well, you would know that.