The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > General Diesel Forum

Welcome to the forum!
When you register you will have access to our "Downloads" section and our "Lounge" forums!

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Forum If It Doesn't Fit In The Brand Forums

Old 05-11-2015, 05:57 PM

Default Winch set up help on car hauler.

Recently bought a 2 car hauler with my dad to haul vehicles to shows, firewood and what ever else comes along. I bought a 9000 lb winch from Harbor Freight(used the gift card on the purchase, thank you Diesel truck site) to mount on the trailer. The trailer has a provision for mounting the winch and has a spot in the tool box to mount the battery complete with battery hold downs. My question is how to best use the winch to load the second vehicle since the first vehicle would be in the way. If someone has a setup like this I would like to see how you go about it.
We thought about mounting it on the deck and pulling under the first vehicle to get the second one on or mount it in its intended location and use a pulley mounted to deck.
The vehicles we are pulling are a '39 Chevy Master 85 and a '33 Chevy 1/2T PU, both weigh under 3K lbs each We would drive them on but winching is preferred since they are stock with 3 speed transmissions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 116_2045.jpg (95.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 116_2046.jpg (97.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 116_2047.jpg (96.2 KB, 13 views)
2000 Regular cab 5 spd, 3.54, Edge JWA, BD 50's, BHAF, DDP Turbo, Colt Cam, Fluidampr, FASS 150, Liberty module, Clutch masters clutch with SB Hydros, Mag-tec diff cover, Pacbrake airbags and EB, Isspro's, Spyntec hub conversion, Holmes push bumper, Galaxy DX959.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Administrator

That is a nice looking trailer. Mounting the winch as low as you can would be the best way I think. If you put it in the tool box it would be able to pull the second car by running the cable under the first car, plus it will keep it out of the weather.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:14 PM

Thank you MnTom for response. We mounted it on the winch plate on the neck of the trailer. We did not want to void the warranty on the trailer this early in the game. The trailer was ordered from the factory with a winch prep package and this is where Load trail wants the winch. Going to look into mounting a pulley somewhere to keep the line under the vehicle when winching the second one on. I starting looking at the stores around here and found nothing I like. Probably find something on the internet or at a swap meet. We have a car show next Sunday and plan to use the trailer. We'll see how it goes with loading the first time and then we can get a better idea of what we can do, I also picked up a wireless remote for the winch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 116_2052.jpg (94.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 116_2053.jpg (89.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 116_2054.jpg (95.2 KB, 9 views)
2000 Regular cab 5 spd, 3.54, Edge JWA, BD 50's, BHAF, DDP Turbo, Colt Cam, Fluidampr, FASS 150, Liberty module, Clutch masters clutch with SB Hydros, Mag-tec diff cover, Pacbrake airbags and EB, Isspro's, Spyntec hub conversion, Holmes push bumper, Galaxy DX959.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Judging by the looks of things you would need some sort of pulley or snatch block to direct the cable down then to another pulley/snatch block to go to the rear of the trailer. Not sure what you could do and not cause a problem with the warranty. I'm sure there is a way........
Old 05-15-2015, 09:01 PM

We were thinking the same thing about using a snatch block. We want to try it out first with only winching on the first vehicle and going to drive on the second for the time being. Looking at it and trying to figure out a solution and actually doing it are two different animals. Next Sunday will give a better idea of what can be done. That's part of the fun of buying something, setting it up the way you want and making it your own.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABennin View Post
Recently bought a 2 car hauler with my dad to haul vehicles to shows, firewood and what ever else comes along. I bought a 9000 lb winch from Harbor Freight(used the gift card on the purchase, thank you Diesel truck site) to mount on the trailer. The trailer has a provision for mounting the winch and has a spot in the tool box to mount the battery complete with battery hold downs. My question is how to best use the winch to load the second vehicle since the first vehicle would be in the way. If someone has a setup like this I would like to see how you go about it.
We thought about mounting it on the deck and pulling under the first vehicle to get the second one on or mount it in its intended location and use a pulley mounted to deck.
The vehicles we are pulling are a '39 Chevy Master 85 and a '33 Chevy 1/2T PU, both weigh under 3K lbs each We would drive them on but winching is preferred since they are stock with 3 speed transmissions.
I like that trailer, what are you pulling it with?
Old 05-18-2015, 05:42 PM

I pull it with the truck in my sig, the 2000 Dodge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailer.jpg (99.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-18-2015, 07:08 PM
Administrator

That is a sharp looking trailer!
Old 05-19-2015, 04:06 AM

Thank you. It came with quite a few options. It has oil bath Dexter axles. 12" raised gooseneck with top deck, Premium LED lighting(more marker lights than the standard LED lighting), Winch plate, drive over fenders, 14 ply tires. It is a 34ft 14K trailer.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:54 AM
Administrator

I like the oil bath bearings. They have a lot less problems in my opinion. I wish I had them on my camper. I need to pull the hubs and repack the bearings again....... LEDs are cool too!