The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > General Diesel Forum

Welcome to the forum!
When you register you will have access to our "Downloads" section and our "Lounge" forums!

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Forum If It Doesn't Fit In The Brand Forums

Old 08-18-2015, 01:57 PM

Default SCORE! finally got my spark ignited cummins!

After 3 years of searching, I snared a spark ignited 'B' Cummins!
I knew Cummins offered just about every model with spark ignition, ( for natural gas/propane) but finding a B series has eluded me until now!

I irrigate with several types of pumps, 3 pumps are electric, and the other is currently a 8.?L GM big block on propane. (that power unit cost me about 14k about 5 years ago)
I wished I could've found this back then!

It's actually set up for dry gas a lot better than any current automotive-type conversion.

The head isn't much different than the diesel version... spark plug goes into the injector hole. So the toughness of the top end is far better than any automotive head..
Crank, block, cam, rods all the same as diesel.
This is an industrial engine, it's a 2002, but is 12 valve. They use an ecm, just to fire the 6 coil packs, and to help with cold start aid with dry fuel. After it's warmed up, normal vacuum runs the mixture needs.
Since natural gas is 'cleaner' than propane, (barely) it's only legal to be sold as a natural gasser.. but LOL< not much is needed to run propane through it!!.. it's rated at 230 hp.
This is a turbo engine, with 8.5 ratio pistons. if it was NA, it'd have 12.5 pistons ...... (hint! anyone EVER considering an ALL alky engine for competition (which is really taking the tractor pulling circuit by storm) Here is the perfect 'drop in'. (almost)
another hint; These heads, pistons are available through Cummins to convert too.

I'm going to freshen this one up, and have as a replacement for the GM.
Can't wait to hear it hummm

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter
Old 08-18-2015, 02:02 PM
Out There, Savin' Lives

NICE SCORE!!!!!!
O.O., 01.5, Dodge, 2500, High Output (H.O.) Cummins Turbo Diesel (245/505), Quad Cab Long Bed (QCLB), 4x4, Sport, Original Bosch VP 44 Injection Pump, 6 Speed/NV5600 Transmission, 3.55 Gears, 105k, currently stock engine, Fram Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: Fuel Pressure (FP), Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Oil Temperature, SMARTY@1, Airtex lift pump 19 psi @ idle, 14 psi @ WOT, Propane Injection, 2 Stroke Oil, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Fooler = Better MPG, Bed Lined, Chrome Nerf Bars, more to come!!

Toys:
'79 CJ5, 258ci, 3" lift, 33x12.50x15, Stock Engine and 3 Speed Tranny
'05 Suzuki, GSX1300R, Hayabusa, All Stock, #3('00 blown engine, '00 stolen, & '05)
The complete live & learn and pass it on by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:11 PM

Heres the 'money shot'... SPARK PLUGS! I'll probably take off the air compressor, and blank off the hole where the injection pump would've gone.
Looks like a 24 volt system.... No problem.... I'll just buy another battery and hook in series.
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter
Old 08-18-2015, 02:34 PM

More I think about it... Propane (today) is .79, This might find it's way under a hood somewhere!
Old 08-18-2015, 07:08 PM
Administrator

WOW!! Nice! Hopefully you do better with propane than I did. Around here on road propane was over $4 a gallon!! PLUS road taxes! That would be a cool engine to work on. Make sure you take plenty of pictures. Oh, the compressor is where the accessory drive is. That would be the P/S pump and vacuum pump would be. Where did you manage to find this gem?
Old 08-18-2015, 08:56 PM

As you know, I'm in the middle of pretty intense irrigation area, and while most of my wells are fairly shallow, I've seen lots of DEEP well guys (texas, OK, Kansas) running Cummins 855's converted over to either natural gas, or propane. Cummins designated these mills with the letter "G"
Still do! everything from the 3.9 all the way up through the ISX. Unfortunately, 'thanks to the epa' these are only offered for sale for gas pipeline compression, or for export only.

I think the most common one built for transportation, was the 8.3L, used commonly on city busses.

I found this one in Ohio, more of a surprise, I was really searching for a completely different engine for a tractor and stumbled onto it.

Thanks Tom! almost forgot about the powersteering/vacuum
Old 08-18-2015, 11:32 PM

Nice find. I just blew through your state a week ago headed home from Dallas Tx. Never been through Nebraska before. I was surprised as to how hilly the central and northern parts were heading through on 281. Looked like my area of ND.

We spent the night in Grand Island upon advice from my uncle who has been through there 4 times in the last few months, said the town of York has polluted water source from all the ag chermicals and he and his wife got bottles of water and gallon jugs to shower with when they stopped there a couple months ago.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:30 AM

Sweet find. Are you going to post your freshening process ? Like to see this.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-19-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild and Free View Post
Nice find. I just blew through your state a week ago headed home from Dallas Tx. Never been through Nebraska before. I was surprised as to how hilly the central and northern parts were heading through on 281. Looked like my area of ND.

We spent the night in Grand Island upon advice from my uncle who has been through there 4 times in the last few months, said the town of York has polluted water source from all the ag chermicals and he and his wife got bottles of water and gallon jugs to shower with when they stopped there a couple months ago.
LOL, I hear this a lot! in fact, about the only "flat" stretch in this state are along the Platte river, and the Oneill Plateau.
Bill, you drove right past some land I run.. on Hwy 281 just before you cross into SD.
I'm only about 20 'bird miles' from the second to last dam on the Missouri river @ Pickstown.
I'll probably do a quicky compression test, change the oil, and listen to it run!
Those 2 round pin connectors have me a little concerned.. Hopefully, it was just for interface with the machine it was attached to..
(just watch.. there will be some 'issue' regarding just that! and the ensuing chase of money down a pit to get it to run)..
Supposed to be here by week's end!
Propane has almost double the BTU"s per cubic foot of expanded gas compared to Natural gas. So I need to talk to a Cummins guy *Probably southernplains* To see about re jetting for the heavier fuel
Old 08-21-2015, 09:16 PM

Wow, I would have lost money if someone told me Cummins made a B series with plugs.....
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd, EZ, RV275's, 4" without muffler, no silencer ring, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Transmission/Differential temp gauge in dash pod, Fast Coolers/exhaust blanket, Raptor 100 with big line kit, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000's, Custom Diesel steering box brace, 285's