The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > General Diesel Forum

Welcome to the forum!
When you register you will have access to our "Downloads" section and our "Lounge" forums!

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Forum If It Doesn't Fit In The Brand Forums

Old 09-08-2015, 05:43 PM

Default LED Headlight question

Ok, I've been batting this around for a very very long time and have check this site and many others. I've thought of all the pro's and con's and still having a hard time of either going with it or forgetting it.

LED headlights.
(I don't want to go with the extra cost for parts and the headaches of projectors)

I've seen several places that sells them and naturally they say their the cream of the crop. Others said they aren't that good because they are not as bright as they advertise and some say they bleed all over the road and hard to align. But the hard part for me is trying them without felling good about it form lack of knowledge.

The ones I've kept going back to look at are the LifeTime LED's. ( https://www.lifetimeledlights.com ) $250 for a set. Something that's hard swallow, buying them first ... and finding out later if they suck or not. I don't mind spending money for quality, but sending and not really knowing when buying bothers me.

Anyone out here ... have / had them ?
Know of someone that has / had them ?
If so, what can you say, pro / con about LED headlights ?

I've needed a new bulb and change both with Sylvania Ultra for now, but looking for something of quality. I feel the Ultras are now a minimum for standard headlights now.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-08-2015, 07:25 PM
Administrator

I have not tried LED headlights, but with the advancement of LED technology they may work quite well. Have you seen the comparison video?
Quote:
Originally Posted by angieslist.com

While old-school halogen still rules the road, LED headlights are becoming more popular.
Drivers may soon notice brighter and whiter headlights on the road as the popularity of traditional halogen headlights continues to dim.
Halogen still ranks highest as the most common headlight on the market, but several alternatives, including xenon-based and light-emitting diode (LED) headlights, are growing in popularity. Here's how the options compare in terms of performance, safety and price.

Headlight versus headlight

According to Motor Trend, you'll notice several important differences in light produced by LEDs, xenon and halogen headlights. LEDs have the coolest color temperature at around 6,000 Kelvin, which makes them appear whiter than daylight. Xenon headlights come in at around 4,500 K, while halogens round out the list at a yellowish 3,200 K.
When it comes to reflection, LEDs offer better light return from road signs, while xenon lamps better illuminate the sides of the road. In part, this is because xenon lamps typically produce more light, measured in lumens, than LEDs.
Both LEDs and xenon provide a large pattern of light on the road, whereas halogens offer a small pool of yellow light directly in front of the vehicle. If you're buying a new car, expect LED headlights to be the premium option, and make sure your auto repair shop is equipped to handle LED headlight replacements and repairs.
My future SIL has a flashlight with one LED in it and it will outshine every flashlight I own including one with three LEDs and a focused lens. Other than the price I would like to try a set.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:15 AM

I'm at a point where I'm looking for headlights that will shine bright, not blind on coming traffic and let me really see in the distance. I take my Dodge on all long distance runs since it's dependable and mostly comfortable for all within. The smaller cars and pickups are to cramped and after a couple hours have me craving to stretch and beg to stop traveling. I'm one of those people that, if I can, will make mileage driving at night to roll down many miles with less traffic. The trucks back seat is big enough and comfortable that when the wife wants to sleeps, she gets decent rest.

But the areas like Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico, it's very well known for deer, elk and stray animals drifting on the highway when lest expected. So distance vision if of most importance. Locally speeds are way slower and is easy to stop, but at highway speeds and especially in bends and such is different.

At $250 a set, I'm not complaining about the price, just hesitant. Reviews found from every site I could find were 50% good and 50% bad. (many of the cost, but this don't count for the quality concern) I'm trying to find out if anyone here owns them /had own them, and their opinion of them.

I've seen the clips of the difference in LED verses Halogen, but their always on side roads, isolated roads and most seem to be during the winter with snow. I do know cameras do auto correct for certain light intensities and such, so it's a good media, but not represent the bulbs properly. It would be nice to see one in normal traffic conditions, city streets, highway and such. Actual owners opinions and their analysis of the lights in their actual driving conditions is important to me.

Hope I relayed what I'm trying say right.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-09-2015, 07:08 PM
Administrator

You explained it perfectly. You want the same as the rest of us! I don't have any experience with them though.......
Old 09-10-2015, 04:50 AM

Thanks MnTom, with a $250 investment for just 2 bulbs is a little bit of a risky investment for just headlights in my opinion and was hoping for a little more interaction with thoughts, feelings or direct / indirect experiance from the membership. And I noticed there were 44 look see hits for this thread, and you were the only one that responded.

On the other forums sites I seen a lot of comments and suggestions, but I have been hesitant on their comments because many were bull $hit bantering back and forth with almost no personal experience or discussions about this topic. I was uncomfortable with considering many of their response. Like on one forum, a guy asked somewhat the same question and the responses were like talking to a group of rowdy teens with no substance comments. (or maybe I'm just getting old)

I guess I'll have to ponder this more if I want to travel this direction for now. I was looking for something like this for my Dodge for the long distance travel with the wife. But I was also considering these for my wife little pickup since she has a bit of a problem with night vision. She very rarely drives at night, and when she has to, I was trying to give her the safest / maximum vision possible.

Thanks for your thoughts Mr. Tom.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Administrator

My thoughts on the bulbs are the headlight lens itself is responsible for the shape of the beam. I may be all wet, but other than being brighter I think that the lenses are the limiting factor. I have seen projector lights that have had a really defined horizontal cut off on the beam. I guess I would look into some driving lights of some sort too.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:35 PM

Yes, I found out the cut of the lens mean a lot, and the positioning of the filaments work together. I recently found one LED has the light shine with like a line on the top and floods out the bottom so you don't blind the oncoming. I did notice another is nothing more than flood lights and that isn't what I'm looking for. But like a fool, I forgot to save the sites and have to find them again. Another item I'm concern on is some have fans and a couple now don't. Do they need them or is it a precaution ? And the amount of manufactures now are increasing.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-10-2015, 07:50 PM
Administrator

This site is one I have heard about that seems fairly popular: https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...acement-bulbs/
Old 09-24-2015, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Have you decided anything with the LEDs yet?
Old 09-24-2015, 06:25 PM

After beating this dead horse over a period of time, I'm thinking I'll get them. But that will be a bit later this year. Still spending on other things before winter.

I decided on the ones from life time led's. They cost a bit more, but instead of buying, trying, and replacing them when they burn out, it will be replaced with only the cost of mailing the burnt one back for replacement. It's the $250 a set that bugs me.

~ Abraham Lincoln