The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > General Diesel Forum

Welcome to the forum!
When you register you will have access to our "Downloads" section and our "Lounge" forums!

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Forum If It Doesn't Fit In The Brand Forums

Old 10-05-2015, 01:26 AM

I haven't taken her on the road at night as of yet. Just put them on. But as I said, in the garage, compared to the halogen I had, they are very very much brighter, and really white. They lit up the entire garage. I believe (hoping) I'll be happy with this change of lighting. I was going to go HID before, but have heard horror stories on installation problems, cost and bulb replacement stories. My youngest has HIDs on his pickup and family car and told me they are something to stay away from.

But the real test for me is like I mentioned, is on my long run to see the grandkids. There are stretches in the south / west deserts that are very very dark. Last year with new Sylvania Ultras, even they seemed a little to yellow for me. With the deer and elk near and on the highway, I've seen cars and trucks off to the side from hitting them. Hoping these will give me the distance and intensity I want for those conditions. What the wife calls my bad habit is I like to travel at night. Low to no traffic, usually less road work, less people when stopping for fuel, food or restroom breaks and I can chalk up the miles. Drove truck in my early 20's for a lumber company and the habit stayed.

Plus if these pan out, I'm throwing on a set for the wife truck. She rarely drives at night, but she has weak night vision and if and when she ever does have to be on the road at night (usually emergency conditions only), I want something better for her.

I'll try to get a picture when I get her out at night. But if what I read about my camera is right, it might not work. The camera corrects lighting and such to balance the picture. I bought it for the wife since she uses full auto only and don't play with settings and such.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-05-2015, 08:16 AM
Administrator

I have heard about the lighting correction problem before. I guess what I rally want to hear is your thoughts about them once you use them at night. They were a direct replacement, correct?
Like you I drove for a living and yep, night is the best time to drive for me too. Like you said, less activity plus back then there were less scales open and not much chance of a surprise DOT inspection!!
Old 10-06-2015, 09:01 AM

The correction is the H13 lighting I have for my year truck. Many of the other units don't need the Anti Flickering unit. Fortunately they are not that expensive, $20 for a set of 2. Other than that they are a plug and play set. And like I mentioned, they wiring has containers, small as they are, to make the conversion form the standard wiring to the LED, since they draw way less electricity. These units have small holes so you can put screws through them to attach securely. I found it better using 3M tape and putting them to the headlight. Less wires flapping around and easy to remove if needed.

I don't drive late at night much anymore. So it might be a while before I can really check these out. But I will let you know, and with pictures if they do come out. I'm in the winterizing the truck now, was. wax, greasing, too the exact thickness of the brakes and such. Figure it's going to be winter real soon and this is the time to make sure it's going to be go to go with out doing it in the snow and cold.

Then I can check is there is to much back reflection from these headlights or not.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Administrator

So, have you tried them at night yet?
Old 12-04-2015, 06:37 AM

It's strange, not yet. Didn't notice, but it's been 2 months since I installed them. I haven't had a need to go anywhere at night for quite a while. If nothing changes, I guess I need to go somewhere just for the heck if it.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-04-2016, 07:42 AM

It was foggy yesterday and I was going to town for a few odds and ends. When I went out to start the truck, I turned on the head lights and one of the headlights didn't come on. When I was out looking at this, for some odd reason I tapped the headlight and it came on. When I came home I pulled both headlights and didn't find pinched wires, nor what appears to be any bad connections and such. (never had anything like this with the other bulbs). But this is a taste disturbing to me. I sent on an email to the company about this and waiting for a response form them.

Normal headlight bulbs aren't that cheap, and these are way up there compaired to standard, so I'll let you know. Last thing I want is these causing issues when traveling cross country, I traveling during the night more than during the day if I can.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-04-2016, 08:30 AM
Administrator

That doesn't sound good. An intermittent connection is extremely hard to find especially when you just tap something to make it work. I am still curious what your thoughts are on them once you try them at night. I am considering replacing my headlights too. My housings aren't actually legal and the lights just don't shine quite right.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:37 AM

If your housing are legal, might conside this. I bought LED tail lights fro this place and the price wasn't to bad, cheaper than I found else wise. They went in perfect. So they might be something to consider for your head lights housing.

http://www.1aauto.com/1996-dodge-ram...c/1996-1464-19

I know someone that bought head lights for a 2005 and they went in without a hitch and looked like the originals, if this is what you want.

Soon my guest will be gone and I'll have time to d what I want. So I can get the truck out for a few pictures. Had a lot to do before the hoildays and then the holidays.

I should be getting an email from the place I bought them from, they moved from New York to Utah and their email said they be back on line today.

I pulled the head lights assemblies out and inspected again, and found nothing unusual. Like normal, finding nothing after a problem is a concern. Time will tell.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Administrator

I am not sure what I am going to do. I have to decide if I want to try to fix this older truck up or just let it die on its own. I have thoughts of replacing it, but if I do I will probably go with a non-conventional truck that would be used for towing my fifth wheel trailer but be titled as a motorhome.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:49 PM

Like I said, they moved from New York to Utah and today I finally recieved an answer.

Like I said, I told them step by step how they went in and each time I had an issue with having to tap the headlight to make them work. Leaving nothing out.

There reponce was:
The Dodge RAM from 2005-2008 has a very sensitive canbus system that may be causing problems with the lights. Normally the canbus error cancelling harness will correct the problems but there are about 30% of the RAMs that can not use after market lighting.

Now I have a life time warrantee with these headlights. But finding nothing on their site stating the 2005 to 2008 issues makes me wonder about the company. I did ask direct questions as to what is my options and avenues to either stop, correct or return the units. Waiting for the answer.

In the mean time, if anyones vehicle is in between these years, I would reconsider if this is the direction to go. For I bought their top of the line headlights and with shipping, might be out $268.00. I might have to try buying another canbus error cancelling harness and try that. Have to wait and see. It is an very intermittent issue. Heck, I have yet to drive with them on at night.

Oh, the name of the company I bought these through is:

Lifetime LED
1279 S 1900 E
Washington UT 84790

~ Abraham Lincoln