The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > General Diesel Forum

Welcome to the forum!
When you register you will have access to our "Downloads" section and our "Lounge" forums!

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Forum If It Doesn't Fit In The Brand Forums

Old 10-11-2015, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Default John Deere Tractor

Anybody familiar with a 2007 John Deere 6430 Premier tractor? I know of one that won't run. It started with bad fuel and a miss. The fuel tank was drained and fresh fuel was put in. The filters were both changed, but it war somewhat hard to start. It progressively got harder and harder to start until it got to where it won't start. It won't even attempt to fire. It has had a new transfer (lift) pump installed along with new fuel lines since they would sweat fuel. There is fuel to the high pressure pump, but we can't get fuel to come out of it. The only code that comes up is for low rail pressure because there is no rail pressure. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-11-2015, 09:35 AM

I really don't have the experiance woking on them yet. But if there isn't fuel from the injector pump, what's causing the blockage ? Fuel in and nothing out, there is something blocking or broken within is what I'm thinking. Is it a pain to open it up to have a look see ? An internal filter ?

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Administrator

I don't think I really want to open the high pressure pump (think CP3 type). The closest JD service tech (100 miles one way) said there is a rail pressure control valve on the pump. It works by pulse width modulation, but two different techs said they have never seen one fail completely. The only way they said it could be tested was to either remove it and put it in another pump or replace it with a new one. They also said the price is $400 to $500 so I don't want to just throw parts at it.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:02 PM

When I was in town today,, there were a small group of farmers haveing coffee at the shop I stop at. I threw this question at them. No one owned a 6430, but one said he worked on a 6420 in the recent past. He knew the fuel systems on many JD had the fuel pump running all the time. And they found an electrical issue with the fuel system when they could not start the tractor. The tractor tried to start, but the pump wasn't. Was the fuel pump running producing enough pressure to run the unit ? Or could it be to weak ?

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-12-2015, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Well, we got it to fire on a couple of cylinders today. We tried clamping off the return line to the tank and allowing the system to get pressurized by the transfer pump. We also finally got in touch with what seems to be a real good tech. He said we did everything correctly far as we went and the reason it fired a few times was because the pump was able topush some fuel into the rail by clamping off the return but the HPFP is not doing its job. Sounds like a new pump may be in order, but the tech is supposed to be figuring out how to look at it and combine the trip with other repairs in the area.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:27 AM

With any luck it will be a cheap fix. But now days ain't nothing cheap.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-13-2015, 07:16 PM
Administrator

I don't expect it will be cheap. The service tech needs to travel about 150 miles one way to get to it. They are trying to join it with others to help save money.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:01 AM

Is there a reason they couldn't UPS, FedEx or USPS it cheaper ? Is it the size or weight ? Seems like companies are shipping about everything now days instead of fuel or hours needed to pick up.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-14-2015, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Well, the guy who owns the tractor had a dealership pick up the tractor plus drop a rental off. They needed to come close to the area to pick up a newer 6430 tractor (for normal service) so they were able to get this one. I suspect the HPFP will be replaced, but I also don't know about the injectors. The rental is only $30 an hour from the hour meter on the tractor. Time will tell....
Old 10-15-2015, 08:24 AM

At least the rental cost wasn't to bad. I found out berfore I retired, when the company rented heavy equipment, the rental rates were per day no matter how many hours in each day once time started, when the equipment was loaded on the transportation to get there, sitting or in use, waiting for transportation back and while transporting back, all fuel used in the equipment and transportation vehicle(s) and until unloaded in their yard ... and then it stopped. I would call that feeling .. RAPED !

~ Abraham Lincoln