The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > General Diesel Forum

Welcome to the forum!
When you register you will have access to our "Downloads" section and our "Lounge" forums!

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Forum If It Doesn't Fit In The Brand Forums

Old 11-19-2015, 02:18 PM

Default Cetane Enhancers Question

Been reading as much as I can on cetane. Naturally Ive found that cetane ratings has to be a minimum 40 for diesels to run. This is the bare minimum rating. Most fuels sold (#2) are at an average of 45 to 48 sold in the USA. But in Europe they average between 50 to 55. This gives the engine the best ignition for the best burn. Naturally to get this in the USA, they usually take #2 diesel and bend it with #1, Bio diesel or just use #1. This burns better but the MPGs are way less than the #2. This is usually the best to use in very cold climate.

Many companies are selling additives that states they increase the cetane ratings by 3 to 7. And per the manufactures of these additives, can be added to #2 and not blended with Bio or #1 diesel. Now this suppose to increases the cetane, quickens the burn for a better burn and supposed to not lessen the MPGs, but increase it by a small percent.

This is a super simple explanation of what Ive been reading, and naturally one can take this like a grain of salt since its from the manufactures website.

But this can be somewhat believable. You can add additives to increase octane in gasoline without blending with other fuels. Gasoline base stock is the same for all octane ratings at the pump. Its the additives that increase the ratings. Gasoline base stock octane rating is only 74, not even a minimum for todays engines. But the type and volume of additives, the octane increases and the fuel burns hotter. So increasing the cetane in diesel by only adding chemicals seems feasible and the realm of reality.

Ive heard and read of people adding all kinds of products to clean their injectors, dry their fuel system and increase cetane so on and so on. Im not so concern on local driving, but long hauling, some real distance, like the 5,000 mile trips I take. I bought some of Amsoil cetane enhancer that I will be trying the next time we go to visit the grandkids. I intend to figure out and push the cetane rating to be between the 50 55 used in Europe. No other additives with it except the 2 stroke oil I normally use. I have done this trip several times and have a base line of MPGs I have obtained over the years.

But this is my question.

Has anyone just added a cetane chemical enhancer only to their tank and if so what was the result ?
(This can be for local driving, but mainly on a long haul trip.)

I will appreciate your thoughts on this, but PLEASE keep it with the topic of cetane enhancer only'.
Ive asked this on other forums, but everyone wants to talk about Bio, Bio blends, #2 with #1 blends, and #1 diesel only. (Everything but enhancers only.)

Thanks.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-19-2015, 09:32 PM
Administrator

I don't have any real life experience with cetane boosters, but from what I understand increasing cetane is not what it is cracked up to be. It shortens the burn and then the power is used up sooner in the power stroke meaning the "push" on the piston is a little harder but shorter in duration. The way it was explained to me was lower cetane (slower but longer push) will ctually result in more torque and also the best mileage. I can't say as I can verify that, but that is the way it was explained to me. I hope someone will enlighten us.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:00 AM

This is what I'm trying to understand. Per the chemical manufacturers the best cetane range is between 50 to 55, and the ignition burns the fuel more completely, consuming the most fuel each ignition, producing the most btu's from the fuel, producing the most torque and less residual out the tail pipe. With this, more HP (not a lot but more then normally obtained from regular ignition ).

In Europe, the diesel engines get better MPG's and better exhaust readings. I will admit they do have a different, what we call smog setup. And at the price of fuel in Europe being way more than we have paid now and in the past, to sell vehicles, they need this. All this with their smog systems and a higher cetane rating without blending, from what I'm reading. And because of this different set up, they are not allowed to sell them here because our EPA only wants their standards met. (this I don't understand, why our EPS is so vain, if they get better emission readings, same or better HP, and better MPG's, why not get the most from each gallon ?)

I've heard people use additives like PowerService with cetane boosters and such. But these are for more, such as injector cleaners and fuel system cleaners plus the increase of cetane, (but is claiming very little). If they increase the cetane by a point or two, than this should not get within the 50 to 55 range and helps very very little.

I was hoping to get some conversation on this to get a more broader range of understanding. I'm going to try this, as I said, next long haul trip and either understand more, save some, spend more or at least see what happens. I'm hoping someone had some kind of experience with this, or satisfy my curiosity and enhance my knowledge on it.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-20-2015, 09:37 AM
Administrator

I am curious as to your results also. By all measures of common sense increasing the cetane should help with just about everything a diesel is except for emissions and soot.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:34 PM
Administrator

I have been doing a bit of reading about this and here are what a couple of people said on other forums:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselstop member
It does make a notable difference and should be used with every fill up.

I recently did a 3,400 mile round trip pulling a ~7k trailer and used the Ford additive most of the trip. I ran out around the last 800 miles or so and didn't want to stop and chase after more. Those last 800 miles or so had a notable increase in regen frequency. Once I got home I got more additive and the regen frequency dropped to normal.

I also note separate from the additive, that my average MPG declines a bit ~1mpg with time and that a good heavy haul for a while seems to restore it. I'm suspecting it helps clean / free the EGR valve or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiclub member
I tried a bottle of Amsoil cetane booster once. The amount of noticeable difference was precisely 0. Zip, zero, nada. Haven't bothered since.

The sulfur issue is a non-issue. Your engine is designed to run on low sulfur fuel. As long as the fuel meets the ASTM lubricity specifications - and all purchased fuel is supposed to - it is good enough.

Some people like using lubricity additives and/or injector cleaners as insurance against possible fuel quality problems. If you're concerned about it, go to a truck stop or auto parts store and use whatever you can get at a reasonable price. Here, that's Kleen-Flo (at UAP/Napa). The PowerService stuff is very expensive.

You can add all the cleaners you want, it will not be a substitute for using good quality fuel in the first place. Use the best stuff that's available in your area.

Sounds like the jury is still out?
Old 11-20-2015, 04:25 PM

Tom, this is what I was running onto. The first guy didn't say what he was using and I do not want to assune it was an enhancer only. It seems somewhat like it's a blend of booster, cleaner and lubcitiry all in one. But I can only guess.

The second guy mentiond the name of the product, and this is great. Was it a one tank use ? Long haul pulling / not pulling wieght ? Several tanks ? I maybe to picky, but there was way more he could have listed. Then goes into a discussion of lubricity additives. I agree buying a good fuel is best. And the only way is guessing especially when one is on the road.

That's why I bought a 1/2 gallon jug of this Amsoil cetane enhancer, and wanting to try this on a long trip. (It's only a cetane enhancer and nothing else). Usually I run this trip without a trailer and the only weight is what we bring for the grand-rugrats and some for the kids. Say only up to 800# plus the extra fuel weight. I understand most don't run this light. But either way, I have a hard time finding a decent responce for what I'm looking for.

Am I expecting to much ?

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Well, according to what everybody says, upping the cetane will help, but only a few claim any benefit. That doesn't seem to make much sense to me. One thing I did read about the cetane booster you plan on using is that it stinks BAD plus the bottle will not seal completely so you need to store it out side. Another thing to keep in mind is that as long as you have it you may as well use it up, but Power Service is more readily available. Plus the Amsoil cetane booster only claims a 2% increase in mileage. That means if you get 20 mpg without it you should see 20.4 mpg. That to me is negligible and could be accounted for by driving style. I hope you plan on keeping meticulous records so that we can see what it does for you.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:11 AM

I never expected to get a hugh increase in MPG's. But after reading on this with what I could fine, I thought I'd try it. Like I said, I have made this trip several times and have past records. Since I have this in bed spare, I usually leave here filled and fill up twice during the entire run. So when I cap off when I arrie home, it should be the same or better than the other trips and the record keeping should be easy. Like all other labels, it says up to ??? improvement. So zero can be included into that.

I've heard this stuff smells like the other blends. So since I should be buying roughly the same amount of fuel each stop, I was thinking of premixing it with the 2 stroke and then I can throw away the bottles when empty.

I have tried Power Service in the past (and that stunk) on one of these trips and really didn't see a benefit. No increase in MPG, same when starting in colder climate, and no noticable difference when she was running. I really didn't expect a different, but never tried just a cetane booster only, and was hoping someone else has. Sort of to compare notes.

What these chemical companies say makes sence to me, but as with all products, some are great and some are nothing more than snake oil.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-31-2016, 04:31 PM

Well, all I wanted to know, was it beneficial to use a cetane booster by itself added to the tank, (not blended in the fuel from the fuel pumps). After taking a 4,976 mile round trip, putting in Amsoil Cetane Booster additive measuring out for an increase of 7 cetane rating per their instructions ... I finally found my answer.

I went 108 miles futher than last years trip, over the same freeways, in the same states, at the same speeds on cruise control (70 mph) as much as possible ... and used 20.8 gallons more this trip. With prices this low, this was the time to try this.

As usual, I washed the truck before the trip. So the only noticeable difference being the amount of soot on the back bumper. There was very little soot on the bumper and none on the body next to the bumper. Where as there was a large amount of soot the prior year on the body panel next to the exhaust pipe.

So, my answer is no financial benefit and I guess no vehicle benefit using it. But I will mention it was in a not so cold climate as in the northern winters, temps were from 32* to 81* per the trucks lie-o-meter gauge inside.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-01-2016, 08:28 AM
Administrator

That seems to be the norm for a lot of products like that. A quick search of the interwebs shows about the same results as you and about 50% saying it doesn't do anything for them. Some do claim less cold smoke and slightly less soot, so I guess it is a matter of choice for anyone.