The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > General Diesel Forum

Welcome to the forum!
When you register you will have access to our "Downloads" section and our "Lounge" forums!

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Forum If It Doesn't Fit In The Brand Forums

Old 01-12-2016, 06:20 PM

Default MotorKote

Has anyone seen or used this product.

I've seen this before but have yet to find anyone that has used it.
I'm wondering if this is anything someone would consider using.
I've always believed in using the proper oils and filters and not use additives.
Per their site this is not an oil additive.

http://motorkote.com

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-12-2016, 08:21 PM
Administrator

I have not heard of it, but I did a little digging. Bob is the oil guy did some testing of different additives (as he called them) and MotorKote was the best one he tested: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=265439
Funny how that is the only place that seems to have anything good to say about MotorKote or any other additive. I can't find any more that claim it is as good as claimed: http://www.saturnspot.com/showthread.php?t=21198
I personally would be skeptical about the claims. If it did improve the lube qualities the big oil companies would be producing it.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:18 AM

I looked through the Bob the oil guy forum and they sort of bothered me when they, at different points of time, went for each others juggler vein or ganged up hard against another like a pack of vultures. Some made good points, but that was in a maze of insulting comments.

I never seen this on the market before, (but I could have looked over it without noticing) Since I 1st noticed it, it is sold at my local Wallie World and at the local Pilot. As time goes by I will see if there is more places. After looking at the videos on their site it made me wonder if trying it might be worth it. A 32 oz bottle is $26, and per instruction our Dodges need 24 oz.

The big oil guys don't care of additional lube qualities, just into selling their oil products. At least that is what management told me while working at a one.

I've always had the belief, use only quality oil with no additives of an kind and a quality filter. If that doesn't work, then fix what is wrong.

But with new technology and processing, this to can change. Friction has been a long time killer for our engines and man/woman has been looking into reducing it. Just ... has it been invented yet ? Products have been invented in the past but when people are set in their ways, it is over looked, then later brought out and sold like hot cakes. A different era, a different audience ... but not a different product.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-13-2016, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoldbiker View Post
The big oil guys don't care of additional lube qualities, just into selling their oil products. At least that is what management told me while working at a one.
That is the truth, BUT, if a big oil company figured they could make more profit by using a different additive, you can bet your bottom dollar they would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoldbiker View Post
I've always had the belief, use only quality oil with no additives of an kind and a quality filter. If that doesn't work, then fix what is wrong.
That is the way I feel too. Manufacturers have put many dollars into figuring out what helps them avoid any warranty claims, so if they thought by you paying extra for an additive would save them a string of warranty claims they would be all over that.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:34 AM

Well per the instructions, I needed 24 oz. for 3 gallons oil, so I threw some in yesterday just to see what happens. This is abnormal for me, I usually don't do this, I usually stay with just good oil and a good filter, but for some reason I'll try it.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-14-2016, 08:39 AM
Administrator

So, what are your first impressions of it? Notice anything?
Old 01-14-2016, 09:13 AM

First impression was this stuff runs like 5w oil. Just put it in yesterday and haven't driven it yet. Figure on firing up the truck today and running over to my brothers for a visit. Don't know when to expect to see a difference, but from I've read I should hear a difference in the sound after a 100 miles or so. Well see. I know my average mpg around the local area is 17 and when on the local highway @ 70 I run 1875 rpm. Will see if there is any difference in that also.

I'll say one thing about this company and their customer care. I sent them an email 4 days ago and have yet to recieve a responce. Nothing to technical, just wanted to know if this will be of any concern or indicate a difference when I turn in a sample for a lab report of my oil. Some chemicals can through off reports if not known. I just wanted to know if I needed to tell the lab anything specific.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-14-2016, 03:00 PM

Well I thought of how to know if there is any difference over time that I can actually track this. Since I'm nothing be a garage mechanic and have not technical equipment to track this thing, There is always the basics. Track the mpg's, track the rpms used at known speeds, and since I can downoad a noise meter to my smartphone.

When I started the truck and before I took it out of the garage I checked the noise from the engine compartment, it average 100 db. When warm and on the local highway at 70 mph per my garmin gps indicator, the rpm indicator was on the low side of the 1900 mark. I know locally when I go from fill up to fill up I average 17 mpg. Per all the prior users and their statements it takes a little time and mieage to know the difference, but mot to long to hear the difference. So far it sounds the same when I got home as it has sounded for the last 10 years, but that isn't something you can document.

Time will tell.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-14-2016, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Noise and mileage would be helpful. Also, you can see if it 'feels' different. When I ran some B-99 withing two miles I noticed that the engine was much, much smoother especially when idling. Maybe you will feel something, maybe you won't. Not to be nosey, but how much does MotorKote cost?
Old 01-15-2016, 06:56 AM

At $26 for a 32 ounces bottle from Wallie World, it won't brake the bank, but if it doesn't help anything, than its a very expensive and pretty little bottle. In what threads I could fine, they said it took minimum 100 or more miles to 'hear' the difference. OK, but in that short period of time, 'some' amount of noise level that is produced by the engine should drop, shouldn't it ? I only put on 60 miles and nothing noticeable yet.

~ Abraham Lincoln