The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > General Diesel Forum

Welcome to the forum!
When you register you will have access to our "Downloads" section and our "Lounge" forums!

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Forum If It Doesn't Fit In The Brand Forums

Old 01-15-2016, 09:23 AM
Administrator

You would certainly think that there would be something noticeable in those miles, but it could also be that the change (if there is one) is so gradual that you can't perceive it. That is where your db meter would be useful. Have you noticed any change it how easy the engine runs or starts?
Old 01-19-2016, 09:39 AM

Well I took the truck out yesterday and the db averaged 97, down by 3 db since the time before, and it sounded sightly quieter but that could be because 'I wanted it to', and starting was no different that before. Only about 150 miles on this stuff. I usually go about 600 miles before I refill the fuel tank, so it will be a while before I can see it this will so call improve mpg's.

I was discussing this with a friend who lives in Arizonia and found he was debating using this for a test run. He travels between his proerty in Arizonia and Claifornia each month so he does more mileage. If he does try this, he was going to tell me if he found this as any help in his Ford 6.0. He has a new turbo and there are reports of metal indicated in his oil samples and wondered if this will help that. If not, then he has a problem with why a new turbo is wearing that fast. The metals are rated at parts per million, so it's minimal metals increase but a concern to him. It is way more than when his truck was tested before he was having turbo issues. This didn't start until after he changed turbos, and he hasn't changed anythig else.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-13-2016, 03:42 PM

With the only way I can tell if this stuff works is with a decibel check, I will say I have been monitoring it with the db app I put on my cell phone. The db's have dropped by 10 only so far. Not sure if this actually means much. I know when I get home I'm due for a oil sample draw and will see if this has done anything to benefit me.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-13-2016, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Any change in fuel mileage?
Old 03-14-2016, 07:51 AM

It's bad getting old, and I sort of screwed up. I had this in and wanted to see if it improves mpg's, and then threw in the cetane booster for the trip. I should have run it one way and then the cetane booster the return trip, that would have been a 2,000+ mile test each way. I usually run the entire trip and check the mpg's when I finish and screwed up.

As for locally, up to the start of the trip, I have cheked every fill by hand and there was "NO" change in mpg's. Sounds quieter, but that's it.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-14-2016, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Well, I suppose you will find out if there is any change when you get you analysis done. That should tell you something.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:47 AM

I believe I blew it with doing both at the same time. Might have to try this again next year.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-14-2016, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Dumb question, but why not try running back with out a cetane booster?
Old 03-14-2016, 09:55 AM

Not a dumb question. I already premixed the 2 stroke oil so I can add, through the container away and just run. Plus I've done it this way because I save a pile of money with the price difference not buying in Arizonia, New Mexico and California. Right now I really don't know exactly how much is in the spare tank, no gauge. And the next time I will need fuel is over 1/2 way back home.

With the in bed tank, and doing this trip many times in the past, I sort of know where to buy fuel and how much, so I can plan ahead, then do a total trip mpg. After the 3rd trip, I've saved enough to pay for the in-bed tank, the solenoid valve to transfer from inside the truck while running and all the extras to assemble this system. I guess you can say the savings is all profit now until the wife and daughter goes shopping.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-14-2016, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Well, IF there was any mileage difference you should still see it. Since you made this trip more than once you have a good baseline so any change should be seen at the pump when you do fill up.