The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > General Diesel Forum

Welcome to the forum!
When you register you will have access to our "Downloads" section and our "Lounge" forums!

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Forum If It Doesn't Fit In The Brand Forums

Old 03-14-2016, 03:04 PM

Sorry, went and got my filters, traffic was thick. I thought I'd compare it to prior runs. So far I have 7 priors. Then when all the cetane booster was out of the system, say 4 to 5 refills at home, compare the mpg's with what I have had locally to see if anything change with just the oil additive in it. When get home, see the difference with the lab results since I'm due for an oil sample draw.

I wanted to do it right, but with all of getting ready and packing all we wanted to take for the kids and grandkids, I ended up putting the cart before the horse.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-31-2016, 04:38 PM

As I mentioned in the Cetane question I had in another thread. Nothing has appeared to have changed. But when I returned from the recent trip, I checked the noise level with my cell phone dosimeter (same place, same specific area) and it is 10 dbls less than when I first started checking.

I didn't mention this to the wife, and she has commented it seems quiter than before and wanted to know if this was a natural thing with a Cummins. But as to if it saves fuel ? Need to get all of the cetane booster out before I can tell, mpgs verses prior readings. So time will tell.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-01-2016, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Must be something to have a wife notice things like that! Mine is one that will come home and say "There is a noise in the car". I as what kind and her response will be "I don't know, a noise". That's about all I can get from her........
Do you by chance do any type of analysis of your oil, Jim? That would tell quite a bit too I would think.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:31 AM

Blackstone should get the yearly sample tomorrow via the USPS. I was going to compare this to the last sample. But I wrote them before I put it in the oil. I wanted to know how important it was if they should be notified of the additive, or adverse effects. I did have to change my oil per the last sample (only got 40k from this run of Mobil1 5w-40) and I also changed brands to Rotella T6 5w-40. There response was:

Hi, Jim. Thanks for the note.

Don't worry about using Motorkote in your oil; it's not going to throw off our tests or cause any problems with our lab equipment. Most motor oil additives, like Motorkote, are petroleum-based, so they act just like motor oil in our tests, and it doesn't affect our equipment or procedures at all -- we read them just like we read the oil.

It is important to note when you use an additive (just mark it in the "remarks" or "comments" sections on the oil slip), because in some cases we can see things that wouldn't show up otherwise, like unusual levels of certain elements that are in the additive but not in the oil itself. That's not the case with Motorkote (it's basically a mineral oil additive without any additional chemical elements), but it does have a relatively low viscosity compared to the oil itself. At just a couple ounces per quart, it may not have an effect on the sample, but it could cause the oil's viscosity to read a little lower than it would have otherwise, so it's good for us to know that the product is in use so that we don't call that a problem if it happens.

As to whether we've seen any long-term benefits from using additives, not really. We track the "health" of the engine by monitoring the rate of wear metals produced from sample to sample, and we've not found any significant evidence that any additives give a real benefit on that basis. Some people report benefits that we can't test here, like improved fuel economy or a smoother-running engine, etc., etc., so if you find something you like, then it's not going to hurt anything to keep using it, but in terms of benefits that we can measure, we don't recommend any after-market additives.

In your case, metals have been generally a little higher than average, but fairly steady until copper came up in the last report. If there's a mechanical issue developing, we doubt the addition of Motorkote would help the situation; if things do happen to improve in your next sample, it will more likely be because there was a change in usage, or perhaps the previous high readings were just due to some anomaly, rather than crediting the Motorkote for making it better. We'd need to see a consistent pattern of low wear when the additive is in use and higher wear when it's not before we'd say that the additive is giving you a definite benefit, and so far we haven't seen that from any of the additives out there. We don't tell people not to use additives, if they've found something they like, but we're skeptical of any real benefits in terms of wear metals.

Hope that helps. Let me know if there's anything else we can do for you. Thanks!

Travis Heffelfinger
Blackstone Laboratories
416 E. Pettit Ave.
Fort Wayne, IN 46806
260-744-2380
www.blackstone-labs.com

PS: and by the way, I like this group since the responce was the day after I sent the email

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-01-2016, 08:43 AM
Administrator

That is a great response! That is pretty much what I have read about additives too. I used to run Amsoil 15w40 in my truck too (used to be a dealer), but switched to Rotella T6 5w40 last year due to the cost. Rotella has always been a good oil and I can get a gallon of it for quite a bit less than Amsoil. I am not saying Amsoil isn't any good, but I need to save pennies when I can. Oil changes cost me about $80 with Amsoil and it was about $55 with Rotella. Besides, IF I need any oil Rotella is easier to find.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:41 AM

In the past, I've tried other things like the old ARCO Graffite oil. It was different to say the least, since it went in black and came out black, but it actually did help the engine metals. Shame they took it off the market. But they have higher quality oils in todays market. I've read a lot of additives like this, and the comments of how many companies use them, but seem to have problems finding people who have actually tried them, in a personal vehicle. So to solve personal inquires, someone has to try it, this time it was me. So ... so far it seems quitter, but no real benefits as of yet. I run my oil changes as long as it stays within specs, it will be there until then. Well see what happens.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-07-2016, 06:00 PM

Well, I threw in a new oil change with filters with the MotorKote and ran it just over 5k before this test, and here are the returns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg March 2016.jpg (75.6 KB, 3 views)

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-07-2016, 07:16 PM
Administrator

For the most part the numbers look quite good. The increases that I see look to be the MotorKote.