The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > General Diesel Forum

Welcome to the forum!
When you register you will have access to our "Downloads" section and our "Lounge" forums!

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Forum If It Doesn't Fit In The Brand Forums

Old 03-15-2016, 03:21 PM

Default Was this guy blowing smoke ?

This is the first time Iíve heard this and canít find any real info to verify it.

I was with the understanding that the lift pump pulled fuel from the tank, pressured it through the system including the filter(s) and to the injector pump, which pressures it up and flows to the injectors, any excess would flow back to the fuel tank while removing heat from the injector pump at the same time. This is a constant s long as the truck is running.

Now here is what I question:
I was recently told that if the lift pump in the tank should fail / not pump fuel, the injection pump will suck the fuel from the tank and to the injectors running the truck with excess flowing to the tank. This will maintain the truck running as long as your not lead footing it or pulling a heavy load Ö thus over demanding the truck.

Since I can not verify this as correct or not, I decided to through this out for a response or comments.

Was this guy blowing smoke Ö or is this correct ?

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-15-2016, 06:39 PM

It's true depending on the engine. Most db2 engines will pull fuel, also bosch pumps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/174421.png
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/420711.png
Old 03-15-2016, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Yep, they will keep running. The Duramax hs not had a lift since they went with a CP3. I am not sure why the Cummins with a CP3 needs a lift pump, but they are like the VP44 pumps. They will keep running until either the injection pump fails or air gets introduced into the system.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:24 PM

Thanks, I didn't know if this was blowing smoke or the truth.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln