The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 05-10-2017, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Default More 'Age Related' Issues

I was moving my truck yesterday and the first thing I noticed was it felt real mushy going into gear. I attributed that to the converter not being filled up (mine drains back). I moved the truck and it still felt mushy. I pulled the dipstick on the tranny and there was no ATF on it! Well crap...... I looked under the truck and saw something dripping off the frame on the left side. That was not ATF. It was fuel. The return line rusted and was spraying the frame. More awww crap. I just ran about 6' of rubber line from the engine to where the line looked decent. Now all I need to do is pull the dipstick tube and replace the O ring. The rest of it looks to be OK. Now hopefully it will dry up under the truck.......
Old 05-10-2017, 09:48 AM

It's always one thing after another. Especially when travelling. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/174421.png
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/420711.png
Old 05-10-2017, 08:24 PM
Administrator

I have to say the new fuel line made a difference! It did start good before, but this morning it started even better and the slight miss I had when cold seems to be gone. Guess I will find out tomorrow morning. I also bought a set of stainless steel brake lines that are preformed. They got here today along with a new clockspring. I am waiting on the parking brake cables so when I tear it down next week I can do everything and only pull the wheels and drums once. I even have a set of wheel cylinders to install. I haven't decided on calipers yet.......
Old 05-12-2017, 07:33 AM
Administrator

I am frustrated. I used my truck and smelled fuel again. The frame rail where the leak was had fuel dripping off of it. I dried the frame and lines again, started it up and couldn't see any leak. Went down the road and the fuel is dripping again. I guess I need to look at things for the third time......
Old 05-15-2017, 05:19 PM
Out There, Savin' Lives

Oh NO!
O.O., 01.5, Dodge, 2500, High Output (H.O.) Cummins Turbo Diesel (245/505), Quad Cab Long Bed (QCLB), 4x4, Sport, Original Bosch VP 44 Injection Pump, 6 Speed/NV5600 Transmission, 3.55 Gears, 105k, currently stock engine, Fram Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: Fuel Pressure (FP), Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Oil Temperature, SMARTY@1, Airtex lift pump 19 psi @ idle, 14 psi @ WOT, Propane Injection, 2 Stroke Oil, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Fooler = Better MPG, Bed Lined, Chrome Nerf Bars, more to come!!

Toys:
'79 CJ5, 258ci, 3" lift, 33x12.50x15, Stock Engine and 3 Speed Tranny
'05 Suzuki, GSX1300R, Hayabusa, All Stock, #3('00 blown engine, '00 stolen, & '05)
The complete live & learn and pass it on by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Yea, I found it. The line behind the tank was leaking. Yesterday I lifted the front of the box to gain access to the tank module. I looked at the straps and they are original so I didn't want to try. Anyhow, I ran new rubber hose all the way from the tank to the engine for the return, and had planned on doing the same thing to the supply, but I found out that 10' is a couple of feet short so I tied into the steel line just before the flex line. Next I put new wheel cylinders in. I found some that have a bore size of 1 1/8" instead of the stock 7/8" bore. Then I installed stainless steel brake lines, brand new brake shoes, and all new hardware. I also installed new parking brake cables. Tomorrow if things go good (had a couple of rain delays) I am going to finish running the new brake lines for the rear and then go to the fronts. There I am going to run stainless lines, repack the wheel bearings, and then new brake pads and calipers. Once I get that done I am going to put a new clockspring in. I hope to be done by Wednesday, but we shall see since there is a 70% chance of rain for the next couple of days.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Administrator

First thing today was a seven hour rain delay.... Anyhow, Every time I touched a fitting the next line broke. There were some VERY thin lines on there. I am really surprised I didn't have other lines blow. Now for the frustrating part. The proportioning valve has one fitting that was different on the line to the front brakes. That fitting was cross threaded in the valve. Now I need to see what I can do to fix that problem because you can only buy a used valve. A few years back I was going to try to replace it, but the only place with a listing was a dealership. They didn't have it on hand and found ONE valve in a nationwide dealer search and the dealer that had it said they wouldn't turn loose of it......... Other than that all I need to do is replace the calipers, repack the bearings, and bleed the brakes. Then on to the clockspring.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Well, I went to a small junkyard and got a proportioning valve. Turns out to the best I can come up with is the previous owner (from before 2001) apparently changed one brake line. The one that ws used had a different fitting than the valve, so another fitting was forced into the valve to make the other line work. When I unscrewed the fitting it peeled the threads out of it. The correct line screwed right into the valve, but the fitting used before only went about 1/2 turn and locked right up, so the threads were wrong or something. Either way it is fixed. I got the front brakes on with the new calipers and even managed to repack the wheel bearings! All that is left on the brakes is bleeding them. I hope that goes way better than what it did before........ I even got the clockspring replaced! Now the air bag light doesn't come on right away when you start the truck and the cruise seems to respond to the switches better. Guess when I get decent brakes on it it will be fun to try the cruise again! It's raining and 49* right now. That's enough to make me quit for the night.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:36 AM

Hopefully that will take care of your intermittent brake problem you've been having.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/174421.png
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/420711.png
Old 05-18-2017, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
Hopefully that will take care of your intermittent brake problem you've been having.

Geez, I sure hope so. It would be nice to have confidence in my brakes again.