The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 09-15-2016, 12:59 PM

Default Power window's?

I just finished installing the window regulator on the Ram. I ordered the parts online from Rock Auto.com Two days later they were on my front porch, can't beat that for service. I had no difficulty changing the part. The new part had re-designed bottom track bar, no plastic wheels, just a rectangular shaped piece that fitted inside a square sided track, no more wheels wearing out and jumping the track. It appears to be bullet proof. Anyway, I got that installed and working as it should.
Now to repair another pre-existing problem
Sometimes when I want to lower the passenger's window using the driver's side master door switch, the window may or may not work, Sometimes when I use the passenger's side window switch the window may or may not work.
Before I re-install the driver's side switch and door panel I need to figure out what is wrong. I read the Haynes Repair Manual and they say there is a circuit breaker for each window...? I am thinking that both windows get their power through the driver's control box. The driver's control box is used more than the passenger's window switch, so it is more likely worn out and replacement will solve the problem. Note* Both door locks and outside rear view mirrors are working as they should. I am sorry for this long winded story. What do you think is the problem?
Old 09-15-2016, 03:22 PM

Yeah, normally power comes from the driver "master switch."
The circuit breakers will be a metal encased fuse looking thing.
Switches are common. But the circuit breakers are easier/cheaper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/174421.png
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/420711.png
Old 09-15-2016, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Kerley, go to the DOWNLOADS area and look in the Shop Manuals folder. You can download the service manual for your truck. Look in the index for section 8S Power Window Systems and it will tell you what to look for and where to check for power and for continuity in the Troubleshooting.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:57 AM

"79 Jasper"
Thank you for the Info. I ordered a new Window Master switch from Rock Auto, half the price from Dodge for the same part. It should be here by Monday 9-26-16. There are two very small retainer clips that hold the new switch in it's assy. bracket, which is not included, but Dodge will order then for Eleven dollars each. Go Figure. The Dealer finds a way to squeeze every dollar possible out of you, and that's a fact.
Kerley
Old 09-23-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
Kerley, go to the DOWNLOADS area and look in the Shop Manuals folder. You can download the service manual for your truck. Look in the index for section 8S Power Window Systems and it will tell you what to look for and where to check for power and for continuity in the Troubleshooting.
I could not Download from this web- site but my friend in Canada Downloaded it to me, so I thank you for your effort.
Kerley
Old 09-24-2016, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Strange, all you should need to do is click on it and select "download". Did you get an error message or something?
Old 09-24-2016, 09:24 AM

Mn Tom,
I did pull it up but the print was very small and not clear enough to read, possibly just something on my end. No problem, I always appreciate your help.
Kerley
Old 09-26-2016, 08:38 PM
Out There, Savin' Lives

Did you get the switch and get it installed?

Enquiring minds want to know...
O.O., 01.5, Dodge, 2500, High Output (H.O.) Cummins Turbo Diesel (245/505), Quad Cab Long Bed (QCLB), 4x4, Sport, Original Bosch VP 44 Injection Pump, 6 Speed/NV5600 Transmission, 3.55 Gears, 105k, currently stock engine, Fram Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: Fuel Pressure (FP), Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Oil Temperature, SMARTY@1, Airtex lift pump 19 psi @ idle, 14 psi @ WOT, Propane Injection, 2 Stroke Oil, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Fooler = Better MPG, Bed Lined, Chrome Nerf Bars, more to come!!

Toys:
'79 CJ5, 258ci, 3" lift, 33x12.50x15, Stock Engine and 3 Speed Tranny
'05 Suzuki, GSX1300R, Hayabusa, All Stock, #3('00 blown engine, '00 stolen, & '05)
The complete live & learn and pass it on by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:11 PM

Default Window switch

Stogd73.
The master switch arrived UPS this afternoon, it's a perfect fit but made in China under the Dorman name. I will plug it in tomorrow morning hoping it will operate both window's and locks as it should if so I will button up the driver's door and call it a day. If it does not solve the passenger's window I will have to open the door up to investigate. The good thing is that I am not in a hurry. Next will be the Headlight switch and trailer brake control re-wiring and install the new mud flaps and fuel tank level sending unit. Then I start moving Hay.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:17 AM

Okay this is the skinny on the window master switch,
New switch, In appearance, it looks identical to the OME switch, it should control both windows and door locks, the driver's window work's up or down as it should, the door lock switch for both doors and the passenger window does nothing. The switch that I replaced would operate the driver's window and both door locks as it should~ possibly the new Chinese switch is faulty. I know all window and door lock power goes through the driver's door master switch and it has power.
Kerley