The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 09-28-2016, 10:21 AM

Wednesday morning 9/28/16,
I gave this some thought after yesterday's disappointment and realized that I did not fully plug the Window master harness into the new switch until it locked in place, thinking that if it did not work, It would the hassle of unplugging the harness which is very difficult with Arthritis in my hands. I fully plugged it till it locked in place this morning, same deal, driver's window worked as it should and nothing more. I did notice that when fully locked in place the new 3 gang switch has green lights that glow on each button which I like. I am assuming that lights in each button show there is power passing through the buttons [maybe]. I will check for HOT wires exiting from the switch. On my truck the door lock and windows are on separate 10 amp fuses possibly there are Relays that I am not aware of.
If anyone knows about the Relays and where they are located, PLEASE inform me.
Thank you,
Kerley
Old 09-28-2016, 11:42 AM
Administrator

There shouldn't be any relays. Chances are the switches are fine. Anyhow, you should have power on the black with orange tracer for both windows. That wire connects to the middle of each switch. Then the power goes out on either the brown with white tracer for up or the violet with white tracer for down. The power then goes to the right switch and then to the motor for the window. You just may have a broken wire in the door harness where it passes from the door to the body. That is kind of a common place to have issues. My son's car had four wires broken when I repaired it. Check for power going to the right window at the left door then you may need to pull the right door apart and check for power there. That should help you narrow down where the problem is.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:15 PM

MtnMan,
Thank you for the information you sent me. T he door locks now work as they should. I must have bumped something resulting in a blown 10amp fuse which I replaced. I am going to open up the passenger door and check everything out. I believe it's the motor, is so I will order the complete window regulator with motor assembly from Rock Auto $50.89 complete plus shipping which will replace the worn out track that the driver's door had. I believe this is the fix.
Kerley
Old 10-03-2016, 01:07 PM

Default Power Windows

I installed the new lift unit in the passenger door, there was nothing wrong with it but it was the old design and the new design is better. The problem was the lift motor wiring harness was frayed and shorted out the motor and control switch which explains the burnt fuse. It's all working as it should...Now Replacing the Door Panels. The Door Panel Retaining Clips I ordered were the wrong ones, so all that's left is finding the correct clips which Dodge no longer has. The good thing is a friend of mine owns a body shop and he has the clips, so I am going to give him the wrong clips and he will supply the correct clips and install the panels for me.