The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum > Dodge Cummins Tech Articles

Old 02-07-2015, 08:09 PM

I thought the shims were to even up the variances in manufacturing.
differences in housings, or even the slightest goof in the cam would make it a nightmare.. so the shims are there to 'blueprint' each pump to exact measurements. Basically making each pump identical "barrel to barrel" wise, it blueprints each barrel so when timing #1 is 'x' degrees, then the next 5 will also be exactly 'x' degrees too
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter
Old 02-07-2015, 10:58 PM
Administrator

That makes sense, but what makes a pump 160 hp, 180 hp, 215 hp? Would that be the cam in the pump then?
Old 02-08-2015, 10:06 AM

That makes sense too! ^^^^
Thinking about what I said, It'd be crazy to think they'd need more than a .0001 or .0002 to 'even up' the jugs.. Adding or subtracting a .10 shim would certainly change the 'stroke above spill port' wouldn't it!!!
I remember watching ISX's video on these pumps and he showed a rack adjustment that could individually adjust each PLUNGER's rotation. That might be the part that 'blueprints' the 6 plungers to each other for being perfectly 'timed'
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter
Old 02-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Not all there

I'm certainty not the expert. That's ISX.

But doesn't the spill port not only start the injection event (by getting covered up). But also end the injection event (by getting uncovered)? So the stroke above spill port wouldn't mater much would it?
Old 02-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Administrator

I don't think anything above the spill port matters in respect to the timing, but in my opinion measuring the plunger lift is just another way to measure the spill port and like rancherman said, the shims are just that, shims to make everything the same.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
I'm certainty not the expert. That's ISX.

But doesn't the spill port not only start the injection event (by getting covered up). But also end the injection event (by getting uncovered)? So the stroke above spill port wouldn't mater much would it?
I think as soon as the plunger hits the top... that's it for the injection event. pressure to the injector would cease almost immediately.

I'm curious now.. as the plunger heads back down and before the spill port is uncovered, where is the fuel coming from to replace that what was injected??
Old 02-08-2015, 04:41 PM

Tom, you are correct on the plunger lift method.. The 'tables' SHOULD be accurate at determining X amount of lift at plunger to calculated distance to spill port closing..
The only motor I've spill timed was a v8 perkins. Find tdc on #1 cylinder (drop a valve down and measure) and go backwards 5/8th inch before TDC. (LOL< really! a ugly fraction!!)
remove #1 dv, add a little fitting with a piece of tubing... flip on the electric LP, and turn the loosened gear until fuel just stops peeing out the tube. viola!
I'd say this method would remove any and all variations due to wear and tear on the pump.. In any case, either is light years ahead of the 'pin' method!!
Old 02-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Ya, I would never use the pin method. I have only timed a few trucks too, but I used the measuring way. On one the timing slipped so bad it wouldn't run much over an idle, but that was my fault. I moved the gear and didn't get the nut quite tight enough. I have also pulled #1 injector and a dowel on the piston to get TDC......
Old 02-08-2015, 07:41 PM
Not all there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nDb9lUaBaU

That video covers a lot.

When the spill port is uncovered and the plunger is going down, the low pressure fuel supplied by the lift pump fills the barrel via the spill port.
When the spill port is covered and the plunger is going down, the diesel fuel cavitates.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:21 PM

Thanks Cowboy!
I forgot about the vertical slot, which lets fuel back to the topside.