The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 04-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Angry Brakes AGAIN!!

Well, here we go again........ After all I went through http://dieseltrucksite.com/showthread.php?t=459 I was in a situation yesterday where I had to get on the brakes hard. The pedal had been and stayed high like it should since this thread http://dieseltrucksite.com/showthread.php?t=894 but the brakes just didn't seem to be as effective as they should be. Anyways, when I got on them hard I was able to push the pedal to the floor. I am pretty sure I felt the RWAL kick in, but the brakes weren't what the should or need to be in my opinion. The pedal is high like it should be even after the pedal went down, so it really doesn't seem to be air, but that is exactly what it feels like. The pedal is spongy. Tell me, am I thinking right that there must be some air still trapped or is it the master cylinder?
Old 04-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Well, I figured out it is the front brakes STILL! I blocked off the rear brakes and the pedal was still the same but when I blocked off the front brakes the pedal felt like stepping on a rock. If I put both block off plugs in the master cylinder you could not hardly move the pedal so the mastter cylinder is good. I tried bleeding them again. I made a home made vacuum bleeder using a quart jar, some vynal tubing, and a vacuum pump. I ran another quart or so through the right caliper and about 1/2 quart through the left one. I also rebled the rear brakes just because. The brakes do feel better but I have not gone out on the road with it. I have been fighting these brakes for a long long time. I just don't understand it. I did the same thing to two other trucks and they are fine, just mine is a royal PITA.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:48 AM
Hrscr8zDogTrainer

You want to talk about brakes that suck???? Lets talk about my 1994 1500... Ever since I have known the truck (it belonged to my best friend before she passed away) the brakes sucked!! The first time I got in to drive it was towing a steel 2 horse with a dressing room GN (heavy SOB) loaded with horses to go to from Tampa down to Calder Race track in Miami. This was in 96 so the truck was still pretty new, and when I put my foot on the pedal the first time I looked over at Judy and told her these brakes suck and need to be done!!! She informed me she had just had them done I promptly told her that she needed to take the truck back and have a real mechanic work on them!!
Long story short, the brakes on this truck have always sucked!!! I have changed literally everything, and I mean everything but the main hard lines. Calipers, Pads, Rotors, front lines, Master Cylinder, Booster, Drums, Shoes, Cylinders, rear brake line and ABS and even tried Bypassing ABS... THESE BRAKES just plain SUCK
I will say the one and only thing that seemed to make any difference at all was installing 2500 cylinders on the rear...It helped a little... You just know when driving Scooby you need to think ahead And I can really tell the difference when I drive Yabba for a while then get in Scooby to take him for a spin, it is a night and day kind of difference In fact since Blue is out of commission for a while, I have been driving Scooby more and I mumble under my breath everytime how bad the brakes feel in comparison... But, after 13 years of driving it like that and replacing everything, I am used to it.. saddly
2.5 5 speed 455,477, Bleu 1991 Lincoln Continental Executive 3.8 53,412, Leo 1969 Buick Wildcat 430 47,325 BabeII 2000 World Trailer 40' 4 horse head to head Gooseneck Trailer http://www.goodbehaviordogtraining.com
Old 04-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Administrator

While your brakes may be the norm for your truck, mine are not. They used to be good effective brakes. The pressure on the pedal to stop was minimal on mine, but now it takes a bit more pressure and the pedal is spongy which it didn't used to be. The symptoms are air, but I have literally gone through GALLONS of brake fluid trying to bleed them.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Hrscr8zDogTrainer

I know the feeling... Oh, the gallons...
2.5 5 speed 455,477, Bleu 1991 Lincoln Continental Executive 3.8 53,412, Leo 1969 Buick Wildcat 430 47,325 BabeII 2000 World Trailer 40' 4 horse head to head Gooseneck Trailer http://www.goodbehaviordogtraining.com
Old 04-19-2014, 11:37 AM

Sorry to hear all the trouble. It does sound like air in the line but getting it out can prove to be more difficult that it should be. I think one thing which unknowingly happens is through force and repeated pumping, the fluid is induced with many small air bubbles, not one large pocket. Then you cant get it out because the fluid is aerated.

You can either keep at it until something changes or you can get one of those brake bleeding pumps where it pushes the fluid backwards through the system. Think about it..... You're trying to push air bubbles (which want to rise) downward into the brake lines and out. I've always wondered why brakes dont incorporate some sort of circular system whereby the fluid is pushed in one direction every time the brakes are applied and the fluid circulates around to a master reservoir where it can be easily maintained. This would not only keep the fluid in the lines clean but you could change it more often without all the hassle and chance of messing things up.

EDIT: I read your other threads and you obviously know what you're doing.....
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd, EZ, RV275's, 4" without muffler, no silencer ring, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Transmission/Differential temp gauge in dash pod, Fast Coolers/exhaust blanket, Raptor 100 with big line kit, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000's, Custom Diesel steering box brace, 285's
Old 04-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Administrator

I think I may have gotten somewhere this last time I bled the brakes. I had my home made vacuum bleeder on the left front and just for grins and giggles I tapped on the brake hose. A couple of seconds later I saw two bubbles about the size of a BB come out of the bleeder. The pedal is higher and more firm than what it was. I have not had the 'opportunity' to really test them, but the fronts did lock when I tried to lock them in my driveway. Time will tell.......
Old 04-19-2014, 12:23 PM

Just thinking out loud but have you ever changed your power steering pump fluid? Its amazing how positive the power steering and brakes react to fresh full synthetic fluid in there. Especially when the OEM stuff in there is old and has been subjected to years of extremely hot running temps. Have you ever touched the PS pump fittings?..... On a nice warm day they run so hot that you can burn your hand.
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd, EZ, RV275's, 4" without muffler, no silencer ring, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Transmission/Differential temp gauge in dash pod, Fast Coolers/exhaust blanket, Raptor 100 with big line kit, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000's, Custom Diesel steering box brace, 285's
Old 04-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Administrator

That won't do much for my brakes. Mine is old enough to use vacuum assist instead of hydroboost.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:28 PM

Oops..... Forgot about that. Are you sure you're getting the proper amount of vacuum?