The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 12-27-2014, 06:41 PM

Default napa steering box

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
Thank you sir! You have a very Merry Christmas too!
I just replaced the steering box with that Napa rebuilt box. All the other auto supplies stores that I contacted locally sold Cardone rebuilt boxes, and I heard a lot of horror stories about Cardone rebuilt stuff.I'll let everybody know how this box performs.
2002 2500 qc 4x4 auto diesel fass 95 titanium drop straw 1/2 in. fuel line c.c vent mod f.p,boost ,exhaust temp. pillar mount gauges scan11 gauge custom built side bars quad head light conversion. industrial injection vp44
Old 12-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Administrator

If I recall, I adjusted the overcenter adjustment when I put mine in, but it turned out to be another problem so I had to back off the adjustment. I had a loose joint where the shaft goes onto the gearbox. Once I figured that out the truck drove decent again.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:33 AM

I went and got that napa box and did a complete fluid flush, the day after X mas .No more wander .Thanks for all the suggestions.
2002 2500 qc 4x4 auto diesel fass 95 titanium drop straw 1/2 in. fuel line c.c vent mod f.p,boost ,exhaust temp. pillar mount gauges scan11 gauge custom built side bars quad head light conversion. industrial injection vp44
Old 01-05-2015, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear it! The NAPA box may not be the best, but I sure think it is decent for the money. How hard were the three bolts to break loose? I had to put a 24" breaker bar on them and push with my foot when I changed mine.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:30 PM

Those bolts were pretty tight, but I had my son and 21 year old grand son helping me, they used a 2 foot breaker bar. It's sure a blessing to have kids that are willing to get dirt on there hands. I'm 76 years old and I can still do lot of things , but it takes me so much longer than it used to. It took me two days to replace my dash cover, but I can afford to take my time, I don't have to go to work any more.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodag56 View Post
Those bolts were pretty tight, but I had my son and 21 year old grand son helping me, they used a 2 foot breaker bar. It's sure a blessing to have kids that are willing to get dirt on there hands. I'm 76 years old and I can still do lot of things , but it takes me so much longer than it used to.It took me two days to replace my dash cover, but I can afford to take my time, I don't have to go to work any more.
I know that feeling! I am only 59 years old, but wound up retiring. I am glad that you had family to help. It makes things go a bit better!
Old 02-07-2015, 07:20 PM

For others following this thread, I just put in a 'bluetop' box.
Very few rebuilders will 'size' the balls to a particular worn sector.
I just put in a CARDONE unit less than 8 months ago, and started leaking like a sieve. Ryan @ bluetop said it looked like a crash victim inside...
http://www.bluetopsteeringgears.com/ Located in N. Dakota.

he said it's normally 1 day to build your box, but mine was junk. I had to throw in an extra 50 bucks for the core he supplied.
With shipping both ways, plus the core, it came to $240 Otherwise it'd been $190
My 3 bolts came right out!! I antiseized them up on previous fix!