The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 02-08-2015, 10:11 PM

Default toe-in?

anybody know what the measurement should be on my 2000 ram 3500 4X4? 1/8- 3/16th's about right?
Soon as the brake parts come in tomorrow, I'll finish her up and get it off the jackstands

Brand new ball joints, tie rods, and steering gear.. getting close to DONE!!

It's set the toe, THEN center the steering wheel?
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter
Old 02-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Toe in should be from 0" to 1/8". That is pretty much standard on all vehicles. However, if you set it to zero these trucks have a tendency to want to wander. That thing should drive like new when you are done!
Old 02-08-2015, 10:55 PM

1/8 it is! thanks Tom!

I sure hope it drives well! I'm approaching 800 bucks on this round of 'maintenance'..
Can you imagine what'd be if I just dropped her off at the shop in town??
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter
Old 02-08-2015, 10:58 PM
Administrator

You probably wouldn't be able to afford it!! Oh, also set your caster to the maximum on your truck. It will drive way better that way.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
You probably wouldn't be able to afford it!! Oh, also set your caster to the maximum on your truck. It will drive way better that way.
I think it's already there. Eccentric bolt on the control arms? I see it's on the + side of the scale
Old 02-09-2015, 09:53 AM

Yep eccentric bolts on lower control arms. Best thing I ever did for my steering was max them out. They should be pointing towards the front of your truck for max positive caster
Old 02-13-2015, 11:02 PM

Done! I'm still getting used to the new 3 turn steering gear, But am very happy with how the ol girl runs down the road!
I think I was about 3 years too long on this 'maintenance'.

Right now, I can actually close my eyes when I sneeze, and not find myself careening through the ditch!

before I bolted the tires on, I cut some steel angle iron about 30 inches long, and clamped them to the brake rotors with a c clamp. 30 inches is about what the tires are. So I had about 15 inches out the front, and 15 out the rear. Measured the distance on the front and rear of these pieces, ended up with 1/8 inch.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Administrator

That sounds like a decent way of doing it! Nice to have your truck drive like it is supposed to again.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
That sounds like a decent way of doing it! Nice to have your truck drive like it is supposed to again.
I thought so too!
ya know, with the dished dually rims, finding a spot on the tire that would not include the wide spot on the contact area of the tire, miss the rim, PLUS give me a clean shot to the other side with a tape measure..

Before someone flags me on doing it to a 'loose rotor' without the tire being on... this is a dually.. and the extension kept it tight.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:37 PM

Maiden voyage!
After a couple weeks of dinking around the ranch, I was satisfied I did 'something' right!
Truck seemed to handle well, brakes are strong.
Front brakes, ball joints, steering components, steering gear, hub bearings, new passenger axle, Posi LOK front axle disconnect, steering stabilizer... and a quicky ~1/8th toe in job..
Took off to Ovid Colorado (300 miles one way) Thursday morning to dismantle a field cultivator, load it on our 26 foot dual tandem trailer.. and came home.. Only to return again on Sunday morning to pick up the rest.
Total weight of the cultivator was supposed to be 14,500.. My trailer is rated at 20k. I'd been fine weight wise but I just plain ran out of room! I couldn't make myself stack steel higher than the cab of the truck!
........fine weight wise, from the trailer point of view..... DoT; that's another matter!
I averaged about 11 mpg for the round trip.. really doesn't matter if I was loaded or empty.. keeping under 65 was the ticket for most economy.
That flatbed trailer pulls hard. It's heavy. And there is 8 tires I'm pulling down the road.
I can tell you how nice it is to be able to operate a vehicle with just 1 finger hooked on a spoke on the wheel.. instead of both hand 'white knuckling' it.. and still praying, sweating bullets!
So, for the 1200 mile weekend 'get away'.. I used up 110 gallons.
.......also found the need to replace the rear pinion seal.. always something!