The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 02-18-2015, 08:18 PM
Administrator

I had an old go cart engine that had a bad headgasket. I could get about four hours of play time out of a home made headgasket from a cereal box. I finally got a piece of actual gasket material and made one that lasted all the rest of the summer! Good thing I didn't know it wouldn't work!!
Old 02-18-2015, 10:15 PM

Default Boost,EGT and Pyrometer install

It is sad that most youngsters here in America can not live in our times. The innocent thing's we use to do would be criminal today. There is so much evil in this world that we as Children did not know. I am getting off subject, Sorry.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerley View Post
It is sad that most youngsters here in America can not live in our times. The innocent thing's we use to do would be criminal today. There is so much evil in this world that we as Children did not know. I am getting off subject, Sorry.
I think we all have........
Have you had the opportunity to see what kind of numbers you get while driving your truck?
Old 02-19-2015, 05:37 PM

Default Boost,EGT and Pyrometer install

No I am not complete yet.
We live in the country about ten miles to town so we plan our trips to save fuel costs. I rode to town with my wife yesterday and stopped at Napa and bought male/female wire connectors so that I can rewire the Pillar Post wiring under my new Guage Pod. I also needed some ground connectors and wire loom to complete this upgrade. It has been very cold here in Alabama [much colder that usual]When I went outside it was sunny but 31 degrees, way to cold for this old man, I have everything necessary to complete just waiting out the cold. I know you folks up north are dealing with much colder temps than here in Central Alabama but you are use to it and prepared which I am not. If it is warmer tomorrow I will work on it.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:28 PM
Administrator

At 31* I would probably be in my shirt sleeves!! LOL it was -24* here this AM..... I understand about the cold though. I don't blame you!!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Actually the Instructions from Autometer make for an easy install.
Yellow wire loom contains two wires, the Thermocoupler drilled and tapped into the exhaust manifold has two matching wires so just connect to same.
The plug to the guage has an aditional two wires, one red and one black.
Red wire, keyed power
Black wire as per Autometer directions should be attached to the engine block for best ground. and DO NOT shorten the large Yellow wire or your new guage will loose the Calibration.
* the most difficult part for me was installing all the wires from the guage pod through the dash to and through the firewall. I still have a little clean up work to do then the road trip, to get some acurate numbers at different gears and speeds. When that is completed I will use my new Boost tester and the hunt begins for leaks, I will let ya'all know.
Okay the guages are in and had s short road test with empty truck [no load in bed]
At Idle 700rpm, Boost-0, EGT-300, FP-27
1500rpm- Boost-0, EGT-350, FP- 23
2500rpm-02 to 03, EGT-550 to 600 @ 55mph

I have not done the Boost test yet but I will this week.
So how do these numbers sound ?
Old 02-24-2015, 08:14 PM
Administrator

The numbers look pretty good, except for your FP. That one looks to be a tad high. I was under the impression that you wanted to stay under 20 PSI but above 14 PSI.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
The numbers look pretty good, except for your FP. That one looks to be a tad high. I was under the impression that you wanted to stay under 20 PSI but above 14 PSI.
Your numbers would work aswell, mine have been the same four four years with no problem to date.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Okay the guages are in and had s short road test with empty truck [no load in bed]
At Idle 700rpm, Boost-0, EGT-300, FP-27
1500rpm- Boost-0, EGT-350, FP- 23
2500rpm-02 to 03, EGT-550 to 600 @ 55mph

I have not done the Boost test yet but I will this week.
So how do these numbers sound ?
I have been reading about Boost Foolers and Boost pressure and how they work to keep EGT's low, and my understanding is that a Boost Fooler on a stock truck will keep EGT's low by creating more Boost also OEM boost should be 18-23 psi however the OEM Turbo will safely produce 35 psi without causing internal damage to the engine. I am looking for the correct formula for higher boost and lower EGR and better fuel economy.
Please take note that this is all new ground for me so knowledgeable advise is needed and requested.
Thank's, Tom Kerley
Old 02-24-2015, 10:22 PM
Out There, Savin' Lives

A boost fooler will allow the truck to NOT throw an overboost code/CEL. It will not allow the truck to boost higher than what the wastegate is set at, normally 20 psi. You would need to adjust the wastegate in order to get better boost.
O.O., 01.5, Dodge, 2500, High Output (H.O.) Cummins Turbo Diesel (245/505), Quad Cab Long Bed (QCLB), 4x4, Sport, Original Bosch VP 44 Injection Pump, 6 Speed/NV5600 Transmission, 3.55 Gears, 105k, currently stock engine, Fram Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: Fuel Pressure (FP), Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Oil Temperature, SMARTY@1, Airtex lift pump 19 psi @ idle, 14 psi @ WOT, Propane Injection, 2 Stroke Oil, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Fooler = Better MPG, Bed Lined, Chrome Nerf Bars, more to come!!

Toys:
'79 CJ5, 258ci, 3" lift, 33x12.50x15, Stock Engine and 3 Speed Tranny
'05 Suzuki, GSX1300R, Hayabusa, All Stock, #3('00 blown engine, '00 stolen, & '05)
The complete live & learn and pass it on by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.