The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 02-25-2015, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Also, keep in mind that higher boost does not always equal more HP. Sometimes higher boost can cost you power and drive up the EGTs due to the drive pressure getting too high plus you can over spin the turbo. You should be able to see some higher boost than stock though. Like Stodg said, 35 PSI is about the top pressure you want to see on the gauge.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:01 PM

Default Boost,EGT and Pyrometer install

I had to take some time off to rest my back, it was time for another epidural injection in my lower spine. I have been getting them for almost fourty years for temporary relief of Rhumatoid Arthritis. I am back up and ready to do a Boost pressure leak test. When I installed my Boost guage the directions said to use the included Boost Bolt which I did. While reading the instructions on the tester they mentioned a Boost blow off valve? Would that be the Waste Gate on the Turbo or is there a valve I have not read about? I called Thoroughbred Diesel for Info. and I was told not to use the Boost Bolt that came with the Autometer Boost Guage but to drill and tap the Intake Manifold horn. So I think I will pull the intake manifold cover and re-seal it then drill and tap the horn and put it all back together with new gaskets. I am not in a hurry so I will take my time and do it right. Input will be appreciated. Kerley
Old 03-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Kerley, the blow off valve is something generally used on a gas engine. Since there is a throttle plate and if you are using lots of throttle then slam the plate shut (get off the gas) the excess pressure needs some place to go.
For hooking up the boost gauge, there are a couple of pipe plugs on the side of the intake that are usually used. Once you get the plate off you should be able to access the plugs quite easily. I can't remember but I think they are 1/2" pipe thread so you would use a pipe bushing to make the connection from the manifold to the boost fitting.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
Now you know why I said think cereal box!! You gotta remember, you and I are not that far apart age wise!

That may work. I know it works for no pressure applications, but how about 35PSI?
Hey fellas, I can relate to the cereal box gasket paper. Being sixty nine years old I remember a lot of things including being poor and working hard for every thing I have. I learned to drive a 1935 ford bobtail when I was thirteen, raked hay too. I joined the Army when I was seventeen, served in Viet Nam. I mentioned this because I've noticed there are no youngsters here. I really enjoy talking to you fellas that have lived and have memories just like me.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:15 PM

I finished the guage install and all works as they should. I got real busy and have not tested the boost for leakage yet. I been fixing fence,fallen trees to cut up remove, then the calving began.
Then the Tractor needed repair, then my car went haywire. I fixed everything myself and saved about three thousand on the tractor and car on parts and labor.
I will do the boost test before I start haul'n hay. I want to see how the old Ram runs with the full loaded trailer.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Congrats on the successful install! It always make a person feel good when things work like they are supposed to!! I just got done replacing a front brake line on my old '96 Jeep. I bled the brakes by my self with a piece of 1/4" pipe and vice grips. Nice to have a full pedal again. The only work I have farmed out was the transmission rebuild that was done twice (long story) last year....
Old 06-18-2015, 07:24 PM

Mtn. Tom, You said you have a 96' Jeep. I bought a new 96' Jeep Cherokee 4x4 automatic, power everything for my wife. She loved that little Jeep. We lived in Nevada and crossed the Sierras often to visit family in Sacramento, Ca. That Jeep was great for Snow and icy roads. We put 170k on it and it looked like new when we gave it to our youngest Daughter. Often my wife says "Dam it I wish I still had my little Red Jeep'.

I still have not Boost tested my Cummins. I just got real busy bush hogging and general Farm maintenance. I've been spraying my pastures with 2-4-D, just to much work for me to keep up.
Tom.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Kerley, my '96 Jeep was what my daughter learned to drive in and that was 10 years ago!! Mine is the 'Country' edition, but the rear wiper arm corroded off and now the condenser for the A/C has leaks in it. During all that time I am not sure we even put 25,000 miles on it!
Old 08-28-2015, 02:55 PM

Default Boost, EGT and Fuel pressure

I drove to town yesterday and thought I would post my gauge readings to see if I was normal.
with an empty bed, my truck is stock with only a large Donaldson air filter. 1998 Ram 2500 24V, 4x4 5sp.trans.

Speed 60mph on lever road.
Fp 23
Boost 4
EGT 650

If I get on it every thing changes. I will pick up a load of 12 each 4x5 rolls of hay next week. I plan to fill my fuel tank and weigh my truck and trailer when empty, and again loaded with a full tank of fuel. That way I will know the weight loaded and empty. I don't drive my truck very much just 6K in the last ten years. Get'n ready for new breaks with the Chevy one ton rear wheel cylinders. Let me know what you think about my gauge numbers.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:30 PM

Looks good!
lots of guys would love to have that FP... whatcha doing to get that??

your exhaust temp is right in line too.

LOL, Don't freak out when loaded with hay! She's gonna change!
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter