The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 08-04-2015, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Default No Start and Air Bag Light

I spoke with YabbaDoo today (she has been out of town for a bit) and she said her truck (1997 3500) one day didn't want to start (spun over, but did not fire) and her airbag light flashed on a couple times. Now the truck is starting like it should, but the air bag light is on steady. I am thinking the two are related, but can't figure out how other than a possible ground. Am I on the right track? Is it true that you need a special code reader to access the air bag module? Could this possibly be a clock spring problem?
Old 08-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Well, the air bag light went out yesterday and occasionally the solenoid needs to be lifted by hand so it sounds to me now that there are two separate issues. I am thinking clock spring for the air bag (cruise doesn't work either) and FSS solenoid. Any other ideas?
Old 08-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Old 08-06-2015, 04:16 PM

I personally don't know much of air bags except how to get on a recall list.

But my son had a small gasser pickup that had the air bag light on all the time. We tried all we could and gave up. Went to a shop and they found the problem in a few minutes. Seems if anything was wrong with the entire system, it gives a light. My kids problem was one of his seat belt clasps was not as it should be. The attachment clasp was on a cable type extension giving it height so he could attach the belt. The unit was pulled longer (by 1/2") somehow and this set the lights on and actually failed the entire safety unit. When the belt extension was changed out with a new one and the battery was connected again, the light was out and everything was fine. (I hope I said this right)

Has she checked every part of the system out for possible replacement of a single part.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-06-2015, 05:56 PM

just thinkin out loud here.. I wonder if the airbag is 'armed' via signal shared with circuit that energizes solenoid? Seems a long way around! I used to think the airbags were 'armed' though the pcm, which also needed a certain mph before firing?
long and short, I'd almost bet if the 2 were related, (warning light, and hard starting) it would almost be back in the pcm wouldn't it?
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter
Old 08-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Maybe they are related, I don't know. I hope she is able to get on here so we can get the info first hand, but my son's car has an airbag light on and the fix for it is to remove one connector under the seat and solder the wires back together. That seems to be about the screwiest way to fix it I have heard of. I don't have a schematic of the air bag system so I can't study it, but the SRS (supplemental restraint system) has a control module mounted on the hump right below the radio so I don't think the PCM has much to do with it. A scanner would be handy.......
Old 08-06-2015, 08:14 PM

Don't know if this will help. I can't find anything for the 97, and everything seems to lead back to the 96 info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 96 air bag schematics.pdf (124.8 KB, 2 views)

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Administrator

That one just shows the Air Bag Control Module and the Air Bag light. I am guessing the power supply and self diagnostics is in the module.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:46 PM

YabbaDoo needs to get on here and 'splain lucy 'bout this.

~ Abraham Lincoln