The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 08-20-2015, 06:42 PM

Default Wiper issue got me scratching my head

About a year and a half ago, my wipers starting to pause for a split second on the return swipe.
Thought it might be junk on the windshield, so I scrubbed it extremely clean.
Still did it, so I changed the blades.
Still did it and checked for codes, nothing.
Still doing it and had everything checked that could possibly cause it and more ... NOTHING.
So I thought I'd let it go until something happens and gives me a direction to go.

Then a few days ago, I had to change my batteries. They were short of 10 years old and when checked, one had a dead cell, the other was no better. Got my money out of the originals.

Since I changed the batteries, it has rained quite a bit ... and ... the wipers haven't missed a perfect stroke. Like the unit was brand new.

Does this make sense ?

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-20-2015, 07:20 PM
Administrator

About the only thing I can think of is there may have been corrosion in either a positive or negative connection and it was inadvertently cleaned with the new batteries. I am sure that the terminals were cleaned for the installation. Other than that it doesn't make a bunch of sense to me either.........
Old 08-21-2015, 07:52 AM

Surprisingly there was no corrosion on the terminals when I change the batteries. And it makes no sense to me.

I was wondering if anyone else had this happen to them. Not only did I search this site, but other sites and a search on the general web. Can't seem to find anything on this. I can not understand what has happen. It shouldn't have any effect when it comes to the pause in my wipers issue.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-21-2015, 06:43 PM
Administrator

How were the batteries changed? Was it one and then the other or both disconnected at the same time? If both at the same time something got reset is about all I can come up with.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:10 PM

Then something had tot be rest, 'cause both came out together.
Guess i'll never know the root cause then.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-03-2015, 12:18 PM

Default Batteries

I have had similar things happen with my 1998 24 Valve/Cummins. I read an article about Batteries and Cables. I checked my Batteries and changed all the Battery Cables to the heaviest guage for my Truck. I could not believe the improvement in all electrical functions. I also found a recall for my truck. I called Dodge, all they ask for was my VIN#, checked their computer and told me to make an appointment for Computer upgrading. The cost was free and my Dodge runs with the big dogs once again. I believe owning these Cummins becomes a second love affair.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:59 PM

My cables look fine and the connections are clean. But I think I might change them over to the old way I have used in the past. I used marine connections and welding cables. Have been told this was not as good by some, but when I installed them, never had a issue from then on. Might plan on that in the near future projects. So far, no issue yet.

~ Abraham Lincoln