The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > General Diesel Forum

Welcome to the forum!
When you register you will have access to our "Downloads" section and our "Lounge" forums!

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Forum If It Doesn't Fit In The Brand Forums

Old 10-16-2015, 01:59 PM

Default Tire

Has anyone ever had a tire blow out while parked and cold? I have a Featherlite stock trailer with two axles and has been parked by the barn for about six months. All four tires are Uniroyal 235/ 85R-16 with approximately 5K miles or less. All hi-way miles except for my 1/2- mile long driveway. It has never hauled more that two horses or cows, never been overloaded.

I was on the Tractor and while passing by the Trailer I thought I saw a Squirrel sitting on top of a rear Tire. After several passes I noticed that the Squirrel had not moved and thought that was strange. I took a closer look and saw the Tire was blown out. A very large hole on the top with broken steel wire exposed. I called the local Uniroyal dealer and he told me that they do not warranty their product if on a Trailer because many people overload Trailers and cause the Tire to blow out.

Have any of you ever had such an experience with a Tire and would you pursue the warranty?
Old 10-16-2015, 06:09 PM

I have two trailers, an only believe in having trailer classed tires for them. I know they cost more, but worth every penny.
Since you haul horses, I'd invest in the trailer tires for sure.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Administrator

I can't say as I have ever had one blow out, but I have read about people having spares on their campers blow out for no reason. I wish I knew why, but nobody has offered a reason that I know of. Did the inside of the tire look like new or was it rough?
Old 10-17-2015, 02:22 PM

Default Tire

MnTom. These tires came on the trailer when purchased NEW, I assumed they were proper trailer tires.

Where and who sells the required trailer tires?.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:20 PM

Not all WalleyWorld stores have them but they can be ordered. Plus most tire stores have or can get them. Last ones I bought were Carlisle. Just type in trailer tires in your search engine and they'll popup a bunch that selles them. Then select what you want.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-17-2015, 06:54 PM
Administrator

I dealt with this place for my 15" trailer tires: http://simpletire.com/ They were very easy to work with and had the lowest prices for the tires I wanted.