The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 10-19-2015, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Default Just My Luck

I was going to go get fuel and some gas for my mowers/snow removal equipment and once I got a couple of miles away from home the GEN light came on. I went home and sure enough, 12.68 volts at the back of the alternator with the truck running. I pulled the alt. and decided to see if I can see what the problem was. Well, I believe I found the problem...

The brush closest to the camera is a lot shorter that the other one. I looked at the commutator and where the short brush rides is real rough. I thought of putting a set of brushes on, but decided that they won't last long so I looked for another alternator. I found a few for $102.99 with a limited lifetime warranty and decided to go that route. I jumped into my jeep, fired it up and decided I should step on the brake pedal since it has been sitting and I had two brake lines rot out. Sure enough, the pedal built up a bit of pressure and the pedal went to the floor. So now I am sitting at home until my wife gets home so I can get an alternator..........
Old 10-19-2015, 03:03 PM

With all your doing for other peoples vehicles and tractors, an now this, you need a break in luck Tom. Like now. But better where it happened than on a trip in another state.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-19-2015, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoldbiker View Post
But better where it happened than on a trip in another state.
You mean like when I broke my transmission? I went to the local AutoZone and got the alternator they said would fit. Got home, bolted everything in place and looked....... The pulley on the replacement was for a seven rib belt and our trucks use an eight rib. I took it back to where I got it and they said they could get one with an eight rib pulley, but it would not be there until Thursday plus it was about $100 MORE!! I said to give me a refund and my old alternator back and went down the road to NAPA. For $6.50 more I walked out with the correct one. Put it on and all is well with my truck again!! Well, except I still need to go get fuel......
Old 10-20-2015, 07:27 AM

Where I live at I found I can only go through 2 guys at O'Rielly's Auto only, or anyone in my local NAPA and get what I need. The others like AutoZone and such, I most of the time play the revolving door trick for a bit before I get what I need, (maybe). Not sure if it's the lack of knowledge or experience of the employees or the suppliers of the products. Thinks like spark plugs and such for the gas equipment are fine, but I either know the parts number for them or the cross reference numbers before I go in. Other than that, life can be hell.

Here, the guys at NAPA have been there for years and supplied deaalers and repair shops so much, they have a better understanding of the parts.

Like this. I wanted the service tool to rotate my engine crank and check the valve lash. The manager at NAPA told me to go to Geno's Garage website and order one. If I wait, I can save about $20 for the same tool. After checking with prices, taxes and shipping for both places, he was right and the part is being shipped from Geno's. They could have screwed me and I wouldn't have known until I took the time to check Geno's website, but they care for their customers. Parts from them are rarely wrong.

(now, insert my disclaimer here)
But I'm not saying this is common for all of thier stores.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-20-2015, 07:55 AM
Administrator

The main reason I went to the local AutoZone was because the warranty on the rebuilt alternator was 'Limited Lifetime' and the NAPA warranty was three years. I really should have known better since every time I walk into AutoZone there is no face I recognize from my last trip, and at NAPA there are faces I recognize that seem to have been there for ever. Also, after looking at the two alternators the one from NAPA seemed to be a lot less 'cheesy' looking and seemed to have a bit better fit and finish too.