The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 10-23-2015, 02:44 PM

Default looking for an answer

When I was installing my front shocks, I noticed a small cooling water hose that indicated a start of a drip. I was going to change ot out, but noticed it had like an insulation wrap around it. It's on the passenger side of the engine, in the back somewhat close to the head and exhaust manifold.

Does this hose need an insulator wrap arounf it or not. The guy at the dealership said no and it's cheaper to go to a parts shop. The guy at the parts place said I should get the same as the original from the dealer. (guess no one wants my money ?).

Which is it ? In the manual, I couldn't find what it actually should be. I don't want to put on a heavy duty heater hose and it melts off. But if a regular hose will work, that's fine also. If it's insulated, I'll have to fight with the dealer.

Never had an issue with this hose before, and I'd like to get the right one on before the snow hits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg what's this ?.jpg (90.7 KB, 14 views)

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-23-2015, 07:22 PM
Administrator

I would think that you would want insulation of some sort on it due to the proximity of the exhaust and the exhaust manifold. You could potentially have 1200+ degrees at the manifold and the radiant heat would kill a standard hose in my opinion.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:41 AM

I wasn't sure, but the heat concern was on my mind. Right now I don't access to visually check another Cummins and was hoping someone knew. It can with what you see. It had a drip from day one and I found the clamps were loose. But it seems to have started a very small moisture on the firewall side again and was considering changing it out. But the dealership parts guy and the local parts store differs.

Do you have this on your truck ? If so, what's there ?

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-24-2015, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Is that a line for the trans heat exchanger? I need to go look at mine and see what is there.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:33 AM

Not sure where it runs. It ties into the heater line, I believe coming from the firewall. I need to crawl under to trace them down, and there's one heck of a lot of parts covering them. This is not a rush, there's no dripping, but the little 'T' looks moist. Level in the degassing bottle hasn't shown any real drop in level.

My biggest problem is the size of the area allowing work to happen and the size of my old fat hands and weather permitting.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-26-2015, 09:43 AM
Administrator

I looked at mine and the only thing in the vicinity of where that line is is the heat exchanger for the transmission. On mine the coolant lines come from the front of the engine.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:42 AM

Well I have sometime before I need to do it, guess I'll have to fighure how to man handle this and what to move to get to it. Thanks Tom.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-27-2015, 04:26 PM

I have seen others with this problem and most often they bought the parts from dodge. It was pricey I understand about $20 for the new hose and about $4 for each clamp. Apparently constant pressure clamps are the solution to the problem and the hose is silicone not rubber. I have read that removing the alternator and intake air tube so you then can take apart coolant tube and pull the tube towards the front of the truck and slide it off the hose back by the turbo. Otherwise removing the hose by the turbo alone is a PITA. I have never had to do this yet on a common rail but I am sure I will be in the future since everyone I know has one. The Part numbers I think are current. 5179115-AA (Clamp)
5179114-AB (Hose)
I did a quick search and found the hose on amazon for $17.63. No luck with the clamp on Amazon did find on Ebay for $4 a piece.
2000 Regular cab 5 spd, 3.54, Edge JWA, BD 50's, BHAF, DDP Turbo, Colt Cam, Fluidampr, FASS 150, Liberty module, Clutch masters clutch with SB Hydros, Mag-tec diff cover, Pacbrake airbags and EB, Isspro's, Spyntec hub conversion, Holmes push bumper, Galaxy DX959.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:13 AM

Thank you ABennin, I'll check into that and get the parts. Would have been nice if I caught it when it was warmer weather. But I'll find a way to work around that. Actually I was hoping to make it to next spring and do a complete coolant change, including hoses and all. But if I can just get this off my back, it's well worth it.

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-29-2015, 04:43 AM

When you get it fixed let us know how it went.
2000 Regular cab 5 spd, 3.54, Edge JWA, BD 50's, BHAF, DDP Turbo, Colt Cam, Fluidampr, FASS 150, Liberty module, Clutch masters clutch with SB Hydros, Mag-tec diff cover, Pacbrake airbags and EB, Isspro's, Spyntec hub conversion, Holmes push bumper, Galaxy DX959.