The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 11-12-2015, 10:28 PM

Default intank pump or inline...

Anyone running a Airtex E7187M Fuel Pump Module Assembly?
Opions?
It seems to be rated at a decent flow & pressure. Decent pump?
I'll be w/o a lift pump while my FASS goes back to get repaired and figured why not have another one as a permanent install (rather than temp) if the FASS dies, or vice versa. The FASS will be using a draw straw. I figure I am going to drop the tank anyway to clean it out so do both at the same time.
I also have a Walbro GSL-392 but would need a pressure reg for that one... I also have a Carter P4070 I could use...
And yes, it really pisses me off my FASS has been very loud from day one and I don't think it ever worked.
https://youtu.be/9_DXBbqMN5w

https://youtu.be/TGfmF09EnGE

Last edited by MnTom; 11-13-2015 at 09:19 AM. Reason: I put the videos on here for you.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Wow, that sure is a noisy pump! I guess if it was me I would put the easiest pump on which would be the Carter since you don't need a regulator for it. I am not familiar with the Airtex, but for a CR it should be good since the CP doesn't require the flow the VP does. Would you be leaving the FASS in place or putting a by-pass for the module? For me it would come down to long range plans. Are you thinking of running the FASS when it comes back or just put it on the shelf 'just in case'? Since you already have two pumps that would work, I would try to utilize one of those rather than spend another $180+, but that choice is yours!
Old 11-13-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
Wow, that sure is a noisy pump! I guess if it was me I would put the easiest pump on which would be the Carter since you don't need a regulator for it. I am not familiar with the Airtex, but for a CR it should be good since the CP doesn't require the flow the VP does. Would you be leaving the FASS in place or putting a by-pass for the module? For me it would come down to long range plans. Are you thinking of running the FASS when it comes back or just put it on the shelf 'just in case'? Since you already have two pumps that would work, I would try to utilize one of those rather than spend another $180+, but that choice is yours!
Thanks for the reply-
I think I would leave both on. Basically two separate fuel systems. I'd remount the FASS (and I don't understand why they tell you to mount it so far forward.) I can't tell if the Carter or Walbro are bypass pumps. Yes, I have to figure some bypass setup and filter head setup. I already have the filter heads. NOT happy with push-loc connections... once they are on, the hose can't be pulled off.
And yes, I'm more geared to long range plans rather than "just for now". I want to drop the tank once, do whatever I need to and be done with it.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:28 PM

Did FASS say anything why it is so loud ?
What were their ideas of the problems ?

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-13-2015, 05:35 PM

I have been pointed to their web page on what to look for... total crap as I'm sure it's not a fuse or anything as to the reason why the pump turns on but doesn't move fuel. I have had two or three dealers including the place that installed it say that was normal... The install place wanted to change me $200 for a "5 gallon bucket test". I'm tired of the noise so I'm doing something... anything now. And yes, I did the bucket test only to find out the pump crap - like I said to the shop that installed it and the two other dealers. I never thought about if the pump was a bypass or not. Guess I could unplug the pump and drive the truck. I just want to drop the tank one time, do what ever is needed and be done with it. I'm thinking of having more than one fuel system installed, that way it's just a matter of turning a valve or switch and not being stranded someplace.
As of a few hours ago I am waiting for a RMA number... still waiting. They first wanted me to take it to a dealer and have them look at it. The last one I talked to charges $90/hour. I can't think of anything they would do that I havn't done.
So far, NOT impressed with FASS. I've been listening to this pump for years.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:39 PM

I've never owned a FASS lift pump, and was looking at one when I needed another. Most I've heard of liked them and talked positive of them.

So I was wondering, with the unit being a few years old, have you looked into a rebuild kit for it ? Is there one ? I've heard a few had trouble with them from the start and they had to rebuild it, or send back tom the factory to refit it. Both for the Fass and the Air Dogs. With no suction or discharge pressure, one might think an internal diaphragm, seal, spring or seat might be wrong.

Sounds possible ?

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-13-2015, 07:00 PM

Yep, but it's still covered by warranty so I'll let them deal with it - I just have to get them motivated. They said in the email all my paperwork is good. (when you buy it you must mail in card in 30 days, copies of... bla bla bla.
Free ($) and hassle free is always nice.
I did just get another email confirming my address and phone number.(?)
Of course I just notice I don't have enough fuel line once I cut it off to pull off the pump. Guess I'll have to fine more fuel line out of pocket.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Ok, what abot the possibility of putting a tee in the suction with valves (one to each pump) and then putting a tee into the FASS discharge line so you can run either one or the the other?
Old 11-14-2015, 01:35 AM

Yep. That was my first idea. Then I figured I had to drop the tank to check the bottom so I might as well put in a draw straw. I should have gotten my Fuelab 21101 today. I already have a FASS STK 1002 sitting here. Can't decide on what one. Might as well go with one of them as they are 1/2". I thought use the stock 3/8" with the carter, 1/2" for the FASS.
Then I thought (this thread) why not go with a in tank pump. Guys on other forums like them that already have them. It was a retro fit from the dealer after the pump on the back of the filter housing (03-04) died. I can't figure out what brand the dealer used.
In tank keeps them cool, out of harms way, etc. Down side is when they die, you have to pull the tank again. (or tilt the bed)
The Airtex E7187M looks like it moves the same amount of fuel as the fass. I thought about putting the fuelab into the airtex...
decisions. ug
Old 11-14-2015, 10:53 AM
Administrator

I can see where the in tank pump has advantages. It is easier on most pumps to push rather than pull, if you run low (or out) on fuel the pump will be self priming, like you said, run cooler, and should be quiet. If it were me I know what would happen...... I'd cheapen out then wind up with problems down the road and wind up doing it again. Guess that is why I like my 12 valve with all its simplicity!