The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 11-15-2015, 10:56 AM

This idea is possible, yet complicated, and might cost a few bucks.

In a refinery we had two different chemicals that were needed for two different chemical processes.
Each had their own pump, each had their own suction valve, yet tied to a common discharge line.
When in one process, a single two way switch (would be in the cab) gave power to a single pump and it’s suction valve allowing the chemical to flow to the injection line.
When the process demand changed, this same power switch would be changed putting the power to the other injection pump and suction valve allowing the process to use the other chemical.
Power is now off for the first set up.
With the pump and suction valve being on an in cab switch power on/open circuit only, the unwanted unit stayed dormant until needed.
The power switch in the cab would need to be off of a "key on power circuit/fuse only" to work.
The lines and fittings would need to be secured as to not allow leaks of fuel or suction of air into the lines.
Then both units could be controlled from inside the cab.

Like I said a bit complicated, yet possible, and is happening in the real world.
Just a thought.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-15-2015, 01:24 PM

All that, that was my idea.
Got the idea from: Years ago I had an old Fourd w/dual tanks. The one tank would leak so it wasn't' used. I used that as a theft deterrent. I would run on the one tank. If I went someplace and parked, I would simply flip the switch to the empty tank. The truck would start and move a few feet, then die... out of gas.
Anyway, have one setup that would run off the intank pump. Flip a switch and run off the FASS or whatever pump off a draw straw. I just wasn't sure about one pump trying to draw against another if two inline pumps used the same draw straw. Then I've seen a few threads about guys running two GSL-392 in parallel. Maybe a third separate systems?
THAT's not excessive now is it?

(Then again I think that may just be me going overboard being a little aggravated at the truck... yesterday I plugged in my new Edge CTS2 (just gauges) and the trans started acting odd, then in about 15 miles left me, my wife and two dogs stranded on the side of a busy highway with no gears. Nothing. Showed a few signs of electrical gremlins. Batteries are pulled to reset things as of now.)

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-15-2015, 07:09 PM
Administrator

If it was me far as wiring the pumps, I would have a relay that was triggered by the ECM so the pump (which ever was on then) would run like the ECM wants, then I would have a switch to switch from one to the other. I don't know if you could push through the FASS or if the FASS could pull through the in tank pump. Once that was determined then you could figure out the plumbing.
Did you get the transmission to come back to life?
Old 11-15-2015, 08:07 PM

None of the pumps mentioned are pass through except the FASS so that is why they would need their own fuel source.
As for the trans... nope. Dead.
Hooked batteries back up. Fired it up and put it in gear. Moved forward. I thought yes... then I moved it from D ro R and it moved back. Shifted back to D and it barely moved forward, went into R then D and nothing. No movement.
I shifted back to R and nothing. Totally nothing. Truck is stuck again. At least now in front of my house...
Had the wife put it in neutral and I check fluid. Just 1/8" above full but smelling really, really burnt. Fluid is 2-3yo.
Ran out and picked up trans filter, gasket, juice, and solenoid and it got dark and had prior comment this afternoon I couldn't put off, so tomorrow I'll changed the fluid. I asked the parts place wasn't there a Governor sensor or relay in there also and they had no idea. Isn't is a Governor Solenoid Pressure Sensor? Parts place was no help what it was. Guess I'll find another parts shop in the morning for the... switch or sensor?
This sucks.
Oh, and $100 for a little control solenoid? Wow.
Did I mention this sucks?
Still wondering if the Edge did anything about this. Trans was fine until I hooked that up.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Burnt fluid is not a good sign. That means something is slipping somewhere. I wonder if you could scan the truck and see if there are any transmission codes. If you could, maybe it will point you in the right direction. I hate to just throw parts at it. Where are you located? Maybe there is a member that can at least recommend a good tranny shop........
Old 11-16-2015, 12:26 PM

I used the Edge when it first happened to look for codes. Nothing.
Then once home I did the 3 key turns to look for any codes. Nothing.
Guess I could use the smarty to check but I really don't think I'll find any.
I can't seem to find a pressure transducer/oil pressure sensor locally. I did find the solenoid, at 2X price as online. Transducer is "dealer part only" according to a national retail parts company... but they can't explain how stupid AutoZone can get it next day for $170. ($50 online) Berrodin can't find the part. (they supply trade shops)
I hate to throw parts at it also.
I'm in Delaware. Not sure if there is a trans place I can trust here. Maybe one but I haven't used them in about 10 years.
I'm not sure how the trans fluid got so burned... unless it happened all at the same time. I haven't towed for about 1.5 years... did plow last year and I think I checked it during winter - can't remember for sure. I don't put a lot of miles on the truck. 26K in 4 years. It was changed shorty after I got the truck.

Oh, STILL waiting on FASS for a RMA.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:43 PM
Administrator

If you didn't get any codes with the Edge, then you probably don't have any codes present. Something you may want to do is go to www.rockauto.com and look up the parts. A governor / modulator is $45.79 to $119.99, and a oil pressure transducer is $51.89 to $59.79. There is one listed for $43.99, but that one says it is for a 45RE which you don't have.
I am trying to think of any members in that area that can assist, but not coming up with anything. Another thought is to call/e-mail Goerends Transmission and see if they have any builders close to you or you could call member Jags Diesel. He is the last one that rebuilt mine after someone else screwed mine up royally (another story). First thing I would do is call Josh at Jags. Just remember his shop doesn't open until 9AM CST.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:07 PM

Default back on the road

Thanks for everyone's help.
So far it looks like a clogged filter. Haven't hit the highway yet but I have forward and reverse going around the block.
I guess I have to change it every 6 months or 10K miles...(!)
I didn't change anything else and the Edge is out for now.
I'll give it a week or so.

This didn't thrill me but...

Old 11-19-2015, 08:43 AM
Administrator

That magnet doesn't really look that bad to me. It just looks like the pan has not been off for a while. I didn't give the filter a thought, but my daughter's truck started to act up and I changed the filter per Dave Goerend's instructions and it has been fine since. Take it out and let us know how it is.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:17 PM

Well, the third gens have a heat exchanger... on the back of the engine that can leak and mix coolant and trans fluid. That is a concern... and was mentioned on another forum.
I must have screwed up reusing the pan gasket or installing the drain because I've got a leak. Didn't see it as it was raining at the time but once the rain dried up I see fluid leaks... so, since I did drive around for about 2 miles so I'm going to let it idle in neutral for a little longer then change the gasket and filter again. I'm trying to flush out any crap in it... and see if there is any slim or possible coolant in there. I just wish fluid wasn't $7.50 each.
And yes, the heat exchanger is a concern.
Right now it's pouring rain... again.
Guess this thread got weee bit of topic.
Thanks for the help.