The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 11-19-2015, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Ya, threads have been known to morph a time or two! The main thing is you got it going again and it shifts like normal, correct? The gasket on yours should be a reusable gasket from what I understand.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:58 PM

Yes, running but more important- moving.
Now to get it to stop leaking. I saw the pan said it's a reusable gasket and the filter came with a rubber one. I didn't really like how it looked so I left the old gasket on. I did drill a hole and add one of those threaded drains in it. What ever engineer thought it wouldn't be a good idea to put in a drain should be under the pan each time someone changes their fluid.
I looked in the old filter and didn't see any sludge, but it is hard to see in.
I still say it was odd all this happened as soon as I plugged in the Edge. I'll wait to see...

FYI- this is a good time to change your trans fluid... all the dollar stores have their turkey pans out.
Use metal HVAC tape and join 2 or 4 pan edges together. Makes for one big drain pan...
I may order one of those Derale 14210 Transmission Cooling Pan. Deeper for more fluid. I keep reading how a trans filter is really just a screen, not really a filter so...

I even had an idea for a filter/cooler with a low pressure fuel pump. Drill two holes in the pan. One for the out into the pump, though a spin on filter, over to a cooler, then back into the pan.
That will be for the next rainy day and after everything else is done. I still have to change that fuel pump. I finally got a RMA from FASS.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Glad to hear it is moving! It really causes anxiety when things like that happen! That's about the way it was when I was about 10 hours from home when the input drum broke......
Which way are you thinking for your pump, in tank or FASS?
Old 11-20-2015, 09:32 AM

From what I found, the stock filter only filters down to 100 microns and is nothig more that=n, as you said, a screen to catch particles that will screw up the system. I was told from an old trans man I trusted years ago, even with the new synthetic fluids, change the oil every 20k to 25K. You don't need to change the screen filter every time. but the fluid change is important.

He also said about installing an external filter for better filtration, 'don't'. The vehicle manufactures have installed them as stock filter systems in the past, but have stopped. If the filter plugs, the loss of fluid flow through the bypass is quick, but not quick enough. And it doesn't take much of a loss of fluid flow to screw the trans up. If the manufatures have come up with a different setup, may be worth it now, but this is just something to consider.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-20-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
Glad to hear it is moving! It really causes anxiety when things like that happen! That's about the way it was when I was about 10 hours from home when the input drum broke......
Which way are you thinking for your pump, in tank or FASS?
Going to use the Carter P4070 I have (I didn't see the P4594 until after) while the FASS is out for repair and will leave it on when the FASS gets returned and have both of them installed at the same time. I'll use some sort of "T" fitting in the feed line. This way I can swap in case of... I'll post picts and details once I do it.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoldbiker View Post
From what I found, the stock filter only filters down to 100 microns and is nothig more that=n, as you said, a screen to catch particles that will screw up the system. I was told from an old trans man I trusted years ago, even with the new synthetic fluids, change the oil every 20k to 25K. You don't need to change the screen filter every time. but the fluid change is important.

He also said about installing an external filter for better filtration, 'don't'. The vehicle manufactures have installed them as stock filter systems in the past, but have stopped. If the filter plugs, the loss of fluid flow through the bypass is quick, but not quick enough. And it doesn't take much of a loss of fluid flow to screw the trans up. If the manufatures have come up with a different setup, may be worth it now, but this is just something to consider.
Actually some do have it OEM...
The way I am thinking of doing it will not have anything to do with the stock pump. I don't want to screw that up. My idea is draw fluid from the pan with a separate external 12v pump, into a filter then into a cooler, then back into the pan. I'm just not sure how any fluid level variance will affect the internal trans pickup/filter. Yes, I know I'll have to add more fluid for the fluid in the lines, external filter and cooler.
I actually have a Magnefine inline filter that I never got around to installing in the stock lines.
I'll wait to screw with things for now...