The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 12-01-2015, 03:07 PM

Default '00 quit charging.

About a mile from home the check gage light came on, and the voltage gage was pegged on the low end.
I thought at first I threw/broke the belt, but quickly realized if I did, the heat would be coming up real fast.

Last time the belt broke, I still had 11 or so volts on the gage.

So go it home popped the hood, and all is well on quick inspection. Restarted fine and the gage is right back up where it needs to be.

I did go through some slushy road melt type crap about the time it happened.. but it's been through a lot deeper water in it's life!
Strange thing about it going clear to the bottom end of the scale, almost makes me think it may be not isolated to the alternator? perhaps just the signal wire to the dash?
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter
Old 12-01-2015, 04:44 PM
Administrator

That is a strange one. If it was just the signal wire for the volt meter I wouldn't think the ALT light would have come on. The meter going all the way down has me puzzled. I am wondering if the ECM had a momentary glitch? If it was the alternator it would do just like you said, show something on the gauge. When you restarted it you reset the ECM, so it may not do it again or it may do it tomorrow. Another thing you may try (not sure if it would do any good) is to scan the ECM for codes.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:06 AM

I don't know the 'path' the self diagnostics uses.. is the 'check gage' light part of the dash cluster.. or is it prompted by the ecm/pcm??
From that I guess we could zero in on where the glitch came from!
A bottom pegged gage tells me there was a total break from the battery.. but if the thing triggered a check gage light, was it because of something between the alternator and pcm, or the pcm and the dash!!
maybe this is my 2 minute warning??
I'll carry my multitester, and if it happens again.. I'll pop the hood while its running and measure the battery. If it's still 14+ v, then something else is going on.
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter
Old 12-02-2015, 09:25 AM
Administrator

This is a tough one. For the Check Gauges light to come on tells me the PCM was communicating with the dash. The volt meter dropping to the bottom says the PCM shut down the charging system for some reason. Maybe try moving the wires around by the PCM when it is running and see if you can duplicate the problem. If it is charging properly it will be next to impossible to figure out.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Have you figured anything out?