The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 01-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Administrator

I've thought about getting another truck and use both to make one, but not sure what I am going to do. I could probably find one with a bad engine and/or transmission, but then I would need to trailer it home. Even that wouldn't bother me. The only 'problem' I could see is that even when I got done and if it was in mint condition I would still have an old truck not really worth all that much. Although doing that would be a lot easier to finance than what I want to do.............
Old 01-09-2016, 03:32 PM

Been thinking of this last comment since I first read it. It's a hard choice to make.
Having a good vehicle but repairs needed.
Getting a new truck is very expensive.
Getting a used one can be costly in the long run.
And getting a parts truck making one from two is a lot of work and expensive also.

It's been years since I was in this predicament, but I was younger and still working which is way different than now. Many if us can feel for you. We could well be in that position in the future.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-09-2016, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Well, what I am thinking about buying is a used semi. I can do four things to it and then get a LEO to sign a piece of paper and walk out of DMV with a motorhome title. Then I would single it out and put a hitch on it for my fiver. Something along the lines of this:

Here is what the law says for Minnesota (statute 168.002 subd.17 (b): (b) A motor home must contain permanently installed, independent, life-support systems that meet the American National Standards Institute standard number A119.2 for recreational vehicles and provide at least four of the following facilities, two of which must be from the systems listed in clauses (1), (5), and (6): (1) a cooking facility with liquid propane gas supply, (2) a refrigerator, (3) a self-contained toilet or a toilet connected to a plumbing system with a connection for external water disposal, (4) a heating or air conditioning system separate from the motor vehicle engine, (5) a potable water supply system including a sink with a faucet either self-contained or with connections for an external source, and (6) a separate 110-125 volts electrical power supply.

If you look at the prices of used diesel pick ups I can get a used semi for the same or less money. For example a 2006 Ram goes for about $18k+. A 2006 semi can be had for $16k (yes, I know they are way more expensive ones, but this is just to illustrate my point) http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Freight...m=252240295960

To face reality, I am 60 years old. I figure (hope?) I have another 15 years of traveling in me, so if there is 100k miles left in a truck it should last me until the end.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:50 PM

Well I have to say this because it makes me worry about you. 15 more years running around the country ???? and you think that's it ?

Get with it buddy, I'm 5 years older than you and I have no time frame of years in my running around this great nation. I make it a point to go somewhere each year. And my plans to give it up is when God calls for me to see him.

Also, two years ago, My wife and I stopped in Amarillo Texas for lunch and in the booth next to us was, I would say was an elderly couple. The guy asked if I knew a better route to his destination since they were working on the roads on his route. After we went through the maps we shot the bull. At that time he was 91, lived in Penn., his wife was 90, and they had a 1996 Dodge Ram with the cummins and no want or desire to quite.

You might rethink on the length of time you might be running around.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-10-2016, 08:50 AM
Administrator

I figure that in 15 years I may only want to stay more local! I don't really have a clue as to how long I might be in a vertical orientation........ I am just using that number as a baseline for my own use.........
Old 01-10-2016, 09:07 AM

Ok, I just wanted to make sure your not setting time limits, 'cause I will not. The idea of a rig is great for hauling and with even the biggest trailer will give the truck no stress at all. But having friends that long haul, when their trucks needs repairs it is far more than what it would cost for a 3/4 or 1 ton would cost to repair or maintain. Looking at it in the long run, would it actually be cost efficient ?

~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-10-2016, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Well, for the safety side of it there is no comparison. I have had the electric brakes quit a couple of time and trying to stop my pick up and trailer is difficult, not impossible, but difficult. With the size of the brakes on a big truck being about five+ times the size of my truck's brakes it is much easier. You also need to remember that I would not be working the truck nearly as hard as a commercial truck would be. If you took your truck and towed a 20,000 pound trailer all the time it would wear out sooner and break down more often. If I put 10,000 miles a year on it would be quite a bit and running light would be way less stress on parts. Yes, the parts are a bit more money, but the drive train is designed to go 1,000,000 plus miles whereas our trucks are designed for way less than that (the engines have a 500k mile life expectancy). So, yea, they are more expensive to fix, but to me the benefits outweigh the risks to me.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:40 PM
Administrator

I changed oil in the rear end and went from Amsoil 85-90 to Castrol 85-140. I went with the heavier weight for towing and guess what? No more noise, clunking or anything! Maybe the Amsoil needed some friction modifier even though they say no.......