The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 01-10-2016, 02:44 PM

Default 78 pw with early 12 valve

I need help figuring out if this is a good purchase and if the problem is just fuel related such as a filter, air in the lines, so on and so forth. l'm looking @ a 78 power wagon...

Now all of this is copied & pasted.

I have a 99 cummins, long bed, clubcab, 4x4 that was in a small wreck, just needs body parts, already did everything else. But, I was getting ready to buy a newer cummins, saw this & thought, hey, I could buy this, fix my truck, put a trans in my race car & buy us a regular car...a hemi charger I've been looking at, and have a back up truck, as nothing sucks worse than not having a truck when yours needs fixing. I really want a p pumped 12 valve with a manual. I just missed out on a 12 valve, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed for $2500, as my ride couldn't get me there till the next day & of course it was gone, 1 owner farmers truck. Well, please excuse all of the typos and the clutter everything that I am about to post is copied from what He told me. Has a 12 valve rotary pump cummins stuffed in it, it has the 518 overdrive trans and 205 tcase, the axles were swapped as well, 60 front 70 rear, runs and drives ,every gauge in the truck is autometer. It has an intercooler on it now from a 91, it is a non I/c motor meaning it has the 9mm injector nozzles instead of the 7mm nozzles that the 90.5-93 have.

Now it does have the grid heater, I think the mechanical lift pump my be getting weak, it will fire and run for a few seconds then dies and that's it, runs good above 35 degrees.

I know when it's forty or above, it lights right off as soon as you breath on the key but if it idles a little bit it will fuel haze.

Now I don't know but with the way it starts, I don't thinks it's low compression, you just breath on the key it's running and it will start when it's cold for a couple seconds, then just looses rpm like it's running out of fuel and dies. I took a video of it and of it starting if you would like me to send it.

It ran today for half an hour to an hour, it does smoke when you first fire it up and if it idles for awhile. I could jump in it & run 100 miles today only does that run out of fuel when it's below 30 degrees.

3000 obo flatbed, xd wheels with a flatbed & has a 4 inch lift kit that comes with it.

Last edited by stodg73; 01-10-2016 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Easier to read.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Hm, that is a bit of an odd one. I'm wondering if the KSB solenoid is hooked up? It advances the timing when cold to aid in starting and controlling the smoke when you first start it. If you go to the Downloads tab and click on the Shop Manuals there is a manual there on the VE pumps.

edit: I was thinking about this and it sounds a lot like an air leak. There should be a primer button on the lift pump. What does it do if you pump the primer a bit when it dies and you try to fire it up again?

Last edited by MnTom; 01-10-2016 at 09:52 PM.