The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 03-22-2016, 03:38 PM

I'm kinda curious to why the rotor seized.
I've read where this was fairly common in the 98's and 99's.. due to poorly deburred rotors from Bosch.

I'd think that this was a rebuilt pump, and someone somewhere would've cleaned it up before I got my hands on it.. It's quite possible I got one of those in that last pump.

I've tried to keep 2 stroke oil in it.. but not as religiously as could've been..
Plus getting fuel out of the farm tank might have had some effect too. There is a water separator on that tank. I actually got through this winter without a single gel up or freeze up.

Also curious to what actually happens during a seized rotor.. Something somewhere needs to twist off/break??? Surely there is a 'breakaway' point so the damage doesn't go clear down the line!
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter
Old 03-22-2016, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.nwbombers.com/forums/topic/578-bosch-vp44-injection-pump-failures-explained/
What actually happens when the rotor seizes, and this is from a Bosch Factory Rep, the slot in the rotor interferes with the distributor because of an inferior deburring process. In layman's terms "deburring" is eliminating sharp edges. As a sharp edge isn't strong, it deflects, under the 4600-PSI inside the pump. The sharp edge deflects and interferes with the distributor; it galls, and then seizes. The drive plate then breaks and only the input shaft of the pump rotates. Other people have said that increased pressure from add-on device cause the failure. This statement only indicates their lack of knowledge, because, unlike most pumps, the VP44 pump does not create more fuel delivery by increasing pressure. The VP44 creates more fuel delivery by holding the fuel bypass solenoid closed longer. Fuel delivery pressure is largely controlled by the "pop off pressure " of the injector. We have proven this with a transducer on the injection lines.
I did a bit of looking and this might explain what happens when a rotor seizes.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:18 PM

whoopee! pump is now in my possession, and appears to have an very nice-brand new- plugin.
I went with schied diesel, their bone stock replacement. Other than flipping a coin, no other reason 'not to'.

I'm going to try the 'revised method' of changing the pump this time;
Last time, I needed to change the front main seal, so I pulled the cover off at the same time.
This time, I'll try to pop the gear off through the breather hole, and leave those 3 lines attached to the block that are nasty to get to.
According to bluechip, that alone is supposed to save almost an hour or so. I need to re-read that part a couple times!
we had between 14 and 18 inches snow last week, and kept us on our toes with the cow herd.. Now we just have mud!
Stay tuned!
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter
Old 03-30-2016, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Good for you!! Now the light at the end of the tunnel is for sure not a train! From what I understand most guys pull the gear through the hole. I have only heard of one person that managed to get the pump gear out of time. Hopefully it will go easy for you.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:37 AM

I wondered about that too.. having the gear jump out of time when it's not 'attached'..
But Bluechip put out a 'how to'... and claims as long as the front cover is in place, the 'pocket' the gear resides in makes it almost impossible to have it jump out of time.

......screwing up the key as it goes back together, is a whole different matter!!
Old 03-30-2016, 06:27 PM

dam, dam, dam.

got the old pump out this afternoon, and my son pulled the new pump out of the box... and said; 'hey dad, this pump is a 245hp pump'. IMAGINE THE SOUND OF THROWING WRENCHES...

I told that guy at schied that I had the 6 speed, but it NEEDS the 235 hp pump. Only the 5 speeds got the 245 pump. We all know that by 2002 all 6 speeds had the larger input shaft, and had the HO pump by then.

I'm going to call tomorrow and get another one coming..

I suppose there is no way in hell that this pump would work! they are the same price.. 15x verses 17x..
Old 03-30-2016, 06:43 PM
Administrator

My understanding is that you wold be happier with the SO pump. The HO pumps were quite limited as to 'enhancing' the performance (not that anyone would do that......). I would imagine there won't be much problem exchanging it. Just the hassle and time sucks.......
Old 03-30-2016, 07:17 PM

I feel your pain rancherman.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:13 PM

Thanks guys for the condolences...

I've read that too, about the HO pumps having 'less' potential for future upgrades..
Hopefully, I can get them to get the proper pump shipped first thing in the morning.., and have it on Friday. Indiana is only 2 states away... LOL Monday is more likely.
I did get to use the 'special' gear puller, nice gizmo to have in the tool chest. Beats taking off the front cover and using a conventional puller.
I have 2 tractors that are in the middle of rebuilding the engine, so I have plenty to do until then! I've kinda turned over the wrenching of the '00 to my son.

The big tractor I'm rebuilding has the ol 903 v-8 Cummins, and for YEARS, I thought it was kinda a dark charcoal color.. I just learned it is actually called BLUCK. Yes, I had to ask 2 times! It's half blue, half black. (not that it matters..) it's going to be dark charcoal via rust-oleum in about 24 hours!
Old 03-31-2016, 07:46 AM
Administrator

That color is available (or used to be) at Cummins in a rattle can. Just an FYI, the color is pronounced "blook".