The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 03-31-2016, 11:12 AM

Good news!
It's been over a year since I dropped out of mainstream 'knowledge base', and totally forgot that a HO pump works fine in a SO engine..
Mr. Schied himself verified this, and he admitted that it was their mistake the wrong pump was shipped..

I'm not stuck with an upgraded core charge!! Yippee!!

I'm aware the HO pump is not as flexible for future upgrades, but not really looking to do it anyway.

He said it's when guys take the HO pump, and replace it with the SO pump, is when performance goes down the drain.

So, by tonight, should have a runner again! BACK ON TRACK!!
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter
Old 03-31-2016, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Good for you! I wasn't sure if there were any 'enhancements' in the future for you or not. My understanding is the HO pump had a higher output pressure than the SO pump, but I could be wrong. I hope it is running tonight!
Old 03-31-2016, 06:51 PM

I'm still going to build my '98 up.. Probably go with mods such as yours, Tom.
As soon as 'life' allows me to spend time on my 'play toys'!!
Last couple years has been pretty much 'nose to the grindstone', and I just haven't had the ambition to keep turning wrenches past my bedtime! LOL
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter
Old 04-01-2016, 06:04 AM

I can feel for you ranchman. I came back from visiting my kids and the youngest was working his rear off. He misses playing with wood. He's the kind that can pick up a piece of wood, see something in it and make it speak to you. But hasn't had the time to do it anymore. Hopefully it will turn in everyones favor soon.

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-01-2016, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Been there, done that too. I have been on jobs that took me away from home, worked six or seven days a week, worked one job that I slept in my own bed every day (worked nights) for 7 months straight and the last seven weeks had one night off. At one time I was home weekends only for about a year and a half. You know what I found out? It really didn't do anything for me. Now that I am retired I don't have a damn thing to show for it. Make sure you take some time for yourself.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:50 PM

Mission accomplished!

MAN!! what a difference! I'm thinking the first pump I replaced a couple years ago was hurting the minute I got it out of the box. It never got near the MPG's the original pump got... typically about 4 or 5 less than the original. Pump #2 was getting 9-11 with a load, and on a good day 15-16 unloaded.

This new pump absolutely fries the duals, (great, my son will go through tires like toilet paper).. and preliminary overhead console says 18-19 mpgs @ 60mph.

I'm not going to badmouth DAP, or recommend Schied diesel, because I really can't say for certain what was going on in pump #2... or why it really never ran as hard as the original. I'm just glad that it is ALIVE AND KICKING!!
Old 04-03-2016, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Well, CONGRATULATIONS!! It lives! Doesn't the HO pump have a little higher timing? Usually a diesel will do a little better with more timing as long as you don't get too carried away. Tell your son he can burn the tires off soon as he comes up with a new set for it!
Old 04-03-2016, 07:52 AM

So it sounds like your happy ????

2006 Dodge Ram, 2500, Big Horn, 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Filter Kit, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear, 285 x 70 x 17

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
~ Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-03-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoldbiker View Post
So it sounds like your happy ????

Yes, it was a rare 'win' for last weeks list of crap to 'fix'.

Not sure about the timing part Tom, It quite possible! I do know that I'm running about 15 lbs more boost with this pump, that from the other. (via scan tool) from that info, it apparently is getting more fuel, and the correct time. Butt dyno sure says it's doing it's job!
Old 04-03-2016, 12:19 PM
Administrator

After more reading I am not sure about the timing part either, but the HO pump has smaller piston bores in the pump and it develops higher injection pressure and less fuel injected. The SO pump has lower injection pressure but more fuel injected. You say you are seeing 15psi more boost? Wow, that's quite a bit! Is there a stuck waste gate on it? If you were only seeing 20psi before and now 35psi then you should be fine, but anything over about 35psi and you are over speeding the turbo (HX&HY35). Keep in mind that at an idle the turbo spins at about 10,000 RPM and when you are at wide open pulling hard it will be upwards of 160,000 RPM.