The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 09-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Kerley, they did replace the failed part along with some preventive maintenance. They just had no explanation as to why the parts failed like they did. I didn't want to put that kind of money into this truck, but I had no choice. Far as the quality of the work, I have known this guy for a few years and have complete confidence in his work. The bulk of the labor was to clean out all the metal that was floating around with the fluid and to get the convertor flushed out. I have about 150 miles (I know, not much) on it and it feels good so far.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:22 PM

Okay, I got it. I just get wound up when I hear about a friend { senior just trying to survive after busting your azz working most of your life }getting ripped off when you are in a bind. Great to hear all turned out well.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Yea, Kerley, I agree with you about getting ripped off. Every place that I talked to about my transmission in Indiana said "We need to rebuild it" or "we just get a replacement". I am sure that they would want a large amount of money for that. I think I got about the best deal as I could. I would have rather put the money into another truck, but I had no choice about this one.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:41 PM

Smile

Mn Tom,

Yes, there is a big difference in being in the work force and retirement. I no longer run around with a pocket full of $100. bills. New trucks are out of reach for me, so I just continue repairing my truck as needed, RockAuto is my friend. Did I tell you that I love my Dodge Ram/ Cummins.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Yea, I love my Cummins too, but not the transmission!! I was looking and if I put another 32,000 miles on I would have put 200,000 miles on mine! Far as the engine, I have only had a head gasket problem, nothing with the rear end, just that hunk of aluminum in the middle. Maybe I should have quick disconnects put on it??
Old 09-18-2016, 08:27 PM

I understand where you are saying. I have been waiting to repair my fuel tank sending unit until I get some outside farm chores completed. Then my HVAC on the Cummins completely shut down. My mechanic said he was completely booked up for two weeks and I can't use my truck without A/C it's just too hot and humid in my area. I went to Youtube for information which really did not address my '98 Ram but did others, so started with the batteries and every wire and fuse I could find. I replaced every fuse that had anything to do with HVAC under the hood.I checked the fan for hot and nothing. I moved the control switch to every fan speed and checked for hot at the fan plug, Nothing. I ordered a new blower fan and resistor from RockAuto, and still nothing. I began to retrace the wiring and discovered that I had misread the fuse diagram in the end of the dash. I then replaced the 20 amp fuse and all is working as it should. I sure as hell did not tell my wife what I had done. While I was full of energy I decided to repair the lift apparatus on the drivers front door, and the track was worn out so hello RockAuto the parts were here in two days and installed, the window works as it should but will not operate the passenger window but will lock and unlock both doors. The passenger window and lock will not work using the passenger side switch, so I won't install the driver's interior door panel until I investigate the switch lock and motor.I'm thinking possibly something vibrated loose.There is always something to do here.