The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 12-18-2016, 12:51 PM

LOL, 2 'Toms' here.
Kerley, I'm in north central part of Nebraska, just a few more miles north, I'd be in South Dakota.
What's this 70* temp you speak of?? LOL< -20F this morning, I'd be MnTom is 10-15 colder yet!
anyhoo, my thoughts on why you are seeing ~22 psi, then dropping to ~12psi;

Draw straw still causing issues with lower fuel levels; whirlpooling effect.
Quick connector(fuel) on module sucking air; lower levels of fuel aggravates situation.
Either will have too dang much air in the line, and really screws with pump performance.

I'd like to believe a failing pump would actually take FOREVER to build pressure.. if even possible. You are seeing a nice 'spike' immediately.. then it trails off. ( unless there are electrical issues making it run slower) So the actual 'pump' part might be fine, but the 'motor' part could be getting weak. ( check your connector for corrosion!!)
Kerley has a good plan! Take care of the module, and draw straw situation, and see 'what's what' after that.

MnTom; I wish I understood the 'flow' through the vp44 a little better... what you say makes sense on the overflow opening up and takes pressure off the input line...
But even on the other forum, no one could answer my question of a couple years ago about if ALL fuel has to travel through the vane pump.. or if only a portion of it.
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter
Old 12-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Administrator

I haven't found a manual for the VP44 pump yet, but if you go to the DOWNLOADS area there is a good manual on the VE (rotary) pumps in the Shop Manuals section. From what I have it seems that all fuel goes through the vanes.
BTW, where I am there was a "Wind Chill Advisory" issued because the wind chills were down to the MID TWENTY'S!! I am in Port O'Connor, Texas on the Gulf Coast!!

Kerley. the overflow valve is in a banjo type fitting, so there is a possibility that it is just loose. The return line is steel that runs back toward the fuel filter if memory serves me correctly.

Last edited by MnTom; 12-18-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:39 PM

MnTom.. did ya turn into a snowbird? My sister has been doing that for several years now.. moving down there right after Thanksgiving, and heads back north about March 1st.
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, No more EGR, greendiesel eco tune, weeks' intake elbow, hemi torque converter
Old 12-18-2016, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherman View Post
MnTom.. did ya turn into a snowbird? My sister has been doing that for several years now.. moving down there right after Thanksgiving, and heads back north about March 1st.
Maybe. This is our first year of trying it so who knows??
Old 12-19-2016, 12:04 PM

I lived in the Lake Tahoe region of Nevada/California for thirty-five years, It was a wonderful area to live and raise my children. I contracted all over that area from Susanville, Calif. and south through Reno, Nv. Lake Tahoe, The Carson Valley to the San Francisco Bay area. I enjoyed my work but hated working in the winter snow in the Northern areas. I don't know how folks handle the Cold unforgiving weather. I retired in Alabama where my wife was from and I like it here and do not miss the snow and black ice at all.
Merry Christmas and may God's peace be with you.
Tom Kerley
Old 12-19-2016, 02:49 PM

My feeble mind is at work,
I talked to a Technician at Geno's Garage named Scott Sinkerson this morning, he was very knowledgeable about the Fass DDRP-02 Lift Pump. I started backtracking in my memory of past events with my truck.
Last summer my oldest son Jeff, who lives in central California, visited me here in Alabama. While he was here he installed the new front mud flaps I ordered for my truck. He had to install new self-tapping sheet metal screws to properly attach them. I am wondering if he drilled through the wire harness that runs between the wheel well and the wheel well cover, if so that may be why my fuel level gauge and Trailer Breaks stopped working? I think I will go to Harbour Freight and buy some new Rivets so I can re-install the wheel well cover after I inspect the wiring.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the wiring that passes through the wheel well area? I wish Dodge had done a better job engineering these trucks.
Tom Kerley
Old 12-20-2016, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Tom, the best I can do there is to tell you to go to the DOWNLOADS area and look in the SHOP MANUALS folder. Find the manual for your truck and look in section 8W. It won't give the position in the truck, but it may be of some use.