The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > General Diesel Forum > General Diesel Tech Articles

Welcome to the forum!
When you register you will have access to our "Downloads" section and our "Lounge" forums!

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Out There, Savin' Lives

Default Fuel Filter Information

Fuel Filter Information

How often should I change my fuel filter?
The fuel filter should be changed between every 5,000 to 10,000 miles. The reasoning behind this is that the fuel filter can become clogged or partially clogged with sediment that is either from your tank, or from the fuel suppliersí tanks.

I havenít changed my fuel filter in 3 or more oil changes, is this a problem?
Yes, if you are not changing out the fuel filter at least every other oil change, the lift pump and mileage can suffer. The effects on the lift pump, is that it has to work harder to supply the fuel to the injection pump, therefore increasing wear. If the fuel filter is plugged or clogged, it can reduce the amount of fuel going to the injection pump, decreasing mileage.

Why does my truck seem underpowered now, when earlier it was driving fine?
The fuel filter may be plugged or clogged, decreasing the amount of fuel the injection pump is able to supply. Also, if you have filled up recently, you may have gotten some bad fuel or dirty fuel. What this means is that you pumped recently stirred up fuel into your tank and now are having problems with the fuel filter being plugged of clogged.

My truck is stalling or lacking power?
The fuel filter may be clogged or full. Changing the fuel filter may bring back the power and get rid of the stalling problem. Now if the problem persists, there may be other problems involved.

Why does the fuel mileage drop in winter?
The reason that fuel mileage drops in winter is because manufacturers have changed the blends of diesel, and have added additive packages that normally arenít in summer diesel. Also, the ECM is fueling more heavily in the winter as it takes more fuel to burn the charge air that is taken in. Also, you need to take into account of how much more idling is done in the winter to warm the vehicle up.

Most diesel mechanics are trained to change the fuel filter first, that way they know that the fuel is getting to the filter, and that the filter is clean. Also, check the air filter to see if it is clogged or partially plugged.

Diesel engines are very easy to trouble shoot. They need air, fuel, and intense compression/heat to run, therefore the one main thing that we as owners can do, is keep the fuel filter clean. This easy change can tell you if there is a problem with the fuel system. If you have changed the fuel filter, then cracked two or three injectors, then tried to start the engine and had fuel come out the injectors, tightened the injectors back up, and then the engine should start.

More information to be added.
O.O., 01.5, Dodge, 2500, High Output (H.O.) Cummins Turbo Diesel (245/505), Quad Cab Long Bed (QCLB), 4x4, Sport, Original Bosch VP 44 Injection Pump, 6 Speed/NV5600 Transmission, 3.55 Gears, 105k, currently stock engine, Fram Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: Fuel Pressure (FP), Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Oil Temperature, SMARTY@1, Airtex lift pump 19 psi @ idle, 14 psi @ WOT, Propane Injection, 2 Stroke Oil, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Fooler = Better MPG, Bed Lined, Chrome Nerf Bars, more to come!!

Toys:
'79 CJ5, 258ci, 3" lift, 33x12.50x15, Stock Engine and 3 Speed Tranny
'05 Suzuki, GSX1300R, Hayabusa, All Stock, #3('00 blown engine, '00 stolen, & '05)
The complete live & learn and pass it on by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.