The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 03-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Default Alignment Issue With my Dodge Ram

First of all some background..... Last year I pretty much rebuilt the front end on my truck (ball joints, upper control arm bushings, upper shock mount bushings, sway bar bushings, steering gear box). I went to a local dealer for an alignment ($45) and they said it was good. I had to make a quick trip to NE Ohio so I wound up putting some miles on right away. The truck drove OK, but not like it should. When I got back they said "You put to many miles on for any warranty". OK, I took it somewhere else a while later (wasn't working much so money came into play) for another alignment. They said the left wheel was to far forward and realigned it ($60). It still didn't drive like it should and I found out the steering gear box was too tight. By the time I figured that out.... NO WARRANTY again. It also pulled to the right slightly. I took it to another place today and they aligned it. They said the toe in was off a little, but everything else was fine. I took it out for a drive and the steering wheel is crooked (to the left) and it still wants to drift to the right. They took it back in and swapped the front tires and called it good. I took it out and the same thing. This time I took the mechanic for a ride and showed him. The double checked everything and even had other guys look at it. They called me to the counter and said "We can't figure it out. Here is your money back". They had no idea why it was wanting to drift to the right and the steering wheel straight. Now, my question is this: The print out shows the thrust angle it +.18*. Would that be enough to make it want to drift to the right????
Old 03-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Here is the print out that was given to me after everything was said and done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alignment 2011 001.jpg (88.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Another White Cummins

I can't see that on my phone, but ill check it out tomorrow and let you know what I think

I do all of the alignments at my shop and have yet to find one we can't fix, but not being able to drive it may make it a little tougher
Old 03-26-2011, 09:04 AM

Excessive thrust angle...

http://www.cdxetextbook.com/steersus...ustangles.html
2002 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 5 Speed NV4500 transmission, 4x4, 3.55 Gears, AirDog 150 fuel pump with 1/2" Big Line Kit, Stock Bosch VP44 Injection Pump, Bosch RV275 Injectors +40HP, Edge Comp Performance Box, BHAF (Big Honkin' Air Filter), Stock Holset HX35W Turbo, Straight 3" Pipe Exhaust, Crankcase Vent Mod, High Idle Mod, MPG / IAT fooler Mod, ScanGauge II, 25% Tinted Windows, DiPricol Gauges (Fuel pressure, Boost, Pyrometer), 235/85 R16 tires mounted on 16x7 Aluminum mags (weighing 62#), Custom Fog Lights, Custom Backup lights, Silverstar Headlights, 23-24 MPG

1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L Magnum V8 Gasoline Engine, 46RE Automatic Transmission, 4WD with CAD axle with 3.55 Gears, Mopar Performance PCM, Gutted Kitty, ScanGauge II, 35% Tinted Windows, 16-17 MPG

Old 03-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Mine ain't that bad......:wowee:
Old 03-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Another White Cummins

Even if your thrust angle is really bad, you can align the front end to make up for it.

And adjusting the thrust angle on these truck isn't hard, but it's not easy either, since the axles and leaf springs all have a peg to center them it can be a challange to fix it up.

However, a lot of time, you can adjust it just enough to change up the alignment.

Also a lot of the time, the u-bolts get so rusty, you can't loosen them in order to move your rear axle around. . . So what exactly do you want to accomplish?

Another thing that we like to see is caster about .5 degrees higher on the right side, because that will cause a slight left pull, and fight road crown. Your right pull might just be road crown so if you were to get the caster on the pass side brought up .8 degrees to 1 degree, I best most if not all fo your pull would go away.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothercummins View Post
Even if your thrust angle is really bad, you can align the front end to make up for it.
That is what I have always been told so I don't know why the place I took it to would give up.

Quote:
And adjusting the thrust angle on these truck isn't hard, but it's not easy either, since the axles and leaf springs all have a peg to center them it can be a challange to fix it up.

However, a lot of time, you can adjust it just enough to change up the alignment.
Yea, if it were warmer here I would be more willing to get under the truck. 6* at 7:30 AM......

Quote:
Also a lot of the time, the u-bolts get so rusty, you can't loosen them in order to move your rear axle around. . . So what exactly do you want to accomplish?
I MIGHT be able to loosen the u-bolts enough to move the axle a little.
I want the truck to drive like it is supposed to.

Quote:
Another thing that we like to see is caster about .5 degrees higher on the right side, because that will cause a slight left pull, and fight road crown. Your right pull might just be road crown so if you were to get the caster on the pass side brought up .8 degrees to 1 degree, I best most if not all fo your pull would go away.
The place I went to said "We can only set it to stock specs. We can't do "custom" alignments" when I asked about tweaking some of the numbers.
However, the steering wheel is at almost a 45* angle to the left on a straight level road. This is more of a thorn in my side than the slight pull to the right.

Last edited by MnTom; 03-26-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Update: I just got done going through the steering and found quite a bit of play in the gear box. I tightened it up some and also dropped about 5 psi in the left tire. Now the steering wheel is only about 20* crooked and most of the drift to the right is gone. I am going to leave it like this for a while and see how it goes...... UNLESS the crooked wheel gets to me.....
Old 03-27-2011, 10:16 AM

Hmmm... Your on the right track at least... Now see if you find the last tidbit of slop...
2002 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 5 Speed NV4500 transmission, 4x4, 3.55 Gears, AirDog 150 fuel pump with 1/2" Big Line Kit, Stock Bosch VP44 Injection Pump, Bosch RV275 Injectors +40HP, Edge Comp Performance Box, BHAF (Big Honkin' Air Filter), Stock Holset HX35W Turbo, Straight 3" Pipe Exhaust, Crankcase Vent Mod, High Idle Mod, MPG / IAT fooler Mod, ScanGauge II, 25% Tinted Windows, DiPricol Gauges (Fuel pressure, Boost, Pyrometer), 235/85 R16 tires mounted on 16x7 Aluminum mags (weighing 62#), Custom Fog Lights, Custom Backup lights, Silverstar Headlights, 23-24 MPG

1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L Magnum V8 Gasoline Engine, 46RE Automatic Transmission, 4WD with CAD axle with 3.55 Gears, Mopar Performance PCM, Gutted Kitty, ScanGauge II, 35% Tinted Windows, 16-17 MPG

Old 03-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Another White Cummins

A lot of people I know do the "drop 5 psi" on the drivers side to help with the cummins pull, so I guess just puts around with it and see what happens, I can do that so called "custom" alignment if you want to drive all the way to Alexandria.