The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 06-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Another White Cummins

2wd also. . . . hmm

I really think there is something that is loose, bent, out of spec some where, but as I said in my last post, if a balljoint is dry, or has been dry, it can have too much friction causing no centering and other odd issues
Old 06-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Administrator

The ball joints were new a year ago. They have zerks in them too, but the gear box seemed to be tight too (replaced same time as ball joints) so I loosened it up a little and it helped with the wheel wanting to center itself.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 AM

Default 2002 alignment

I have a 4x4 that wanders slightly to the right. I'd be happy to come to Alex for an alignment unless someone can recommend a shop in the twin cities area. I appreciate your help.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Another White Cummins

Since you have a 4x4 chances are you have loose parts unless they have been replaced recently, these trucks are well known for balljoint and track bar issues

So if you do find a nice shop down there to take it to, make sure they fully inspect the suspension very well before the alignment or you will just be throwing your money away
Old 06-23-2011, 11:54 AM

I appreciate the advice. In the past year I have completely rebuilt the front end. New ball joints, tie rods, tracking bar, steering stabilizer, coil springs to level the ride, and the rock solid ram steering fix (bushing). I have had the truck aligned at a reputable shop but it still pulls to the right. I wondered if if wasn't the ruts in our AK roads but it pulls down here as well. So, have I missed something? I'm also running the BD steering box stabilizer. Tires are stock height and the springs are skyjacker softrides to level the front end.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Out There, Savin' Lives

How much is it pulling to the right? Quarter turn, half turn back to the left to keep it straight.

Does the truck turn sharply when you release the steering wheel while driving?

Have you tried driving in a large fairly flat parking lot to see if it pulls?

Are the tires wearing out on the inside, outside, or middle?

Most alignment shops will put a slight pull to the right to keep you from driving into the other lane. Sometimes the roadways are crowned a little bit too much to the left and this may increase the feel of a pull.
O.O., 01.5, Dodge, 2500, High Output (H.O.) Cummins Turbo Diesel (245/505), Quad Cab Long Bed (QCLB), 4x4, Sport, Original Bosch VP 44 Injection Pump, 6 Speed/NV5600 Transmission, 3.55 Gears, 105k, currently stock engine, Fram Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: Fuel Pressure (FP), Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Oil Temperature, SMARTY@1, Airtex lift pump 19 psi @ idle, 14 psi @ WOT, Propane Injection, 2 Stroke Oil, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Fooler = Better MPG, Bed Lined, Chrome Nerf Bars, more to come!!

Toys:
'79 CJ5, 258ci, 3" lift, 33x12.50x15, Stock Engine and 3 Speed Tranny
'05 Suzuki, GSX1300R, Hayabusa, All Stock, #3('00 blown engine, '00 stolen, & '05)
The complete live & learn and pass it on by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evans.mikey View Post
I have a 4x4 that wanders slightly to the right. I'd be happy to come to Alex for an alignment unless someone can recommend a shop in the twin cities area. I appreciate your help.
Have you recently replaced any parts? If your truck also wanders more than it used to it just may need a trac bar.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Another White Cummins

As for aligning these truck to pull its not really possible on the solid axle unless you have offset balljoint bushings which most don't, and when I do align a vehicle to pull I typically give it a slight left pull as we have more road crown than any other city I've been to I think

If its just a slight pull it might be from the engine too, in the second and third gen trucks, the cummins doesn't sit dead center, its actually off to one side which puts more weight on one tire causing more drag, and a pull, but if you bump the tire pressure up slightly, you can actually get rid of the pull by taking away the extra drag on that tire
Old 07-02-2011, 12:29 PM

Okay, took it to a shop in Mountain Home, ID and the upper ball joints are loose and the track bar is bad. So much for Moog "The Solution" Chassis Parts. My BD Track Bar arrived today and I'm searching for upper ball joints that will keep up. I'm waiting to hear back from XRF and right now am leaning toward Napa HD. The local shop here in Little Canada has them for $139. Anyone got a better price or part? After I get the new stuff installed I'll need an alignment. Any recommendations in the TC or am I road Tripping to Alexandria?
Old 07-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Administrator

If you get the parts and want to come north of the Twin Cities by a couple of hours I would be more that willing to help you put the parts in your truck (in my garage). I have a Jeep Cherokee that has the same basic front end (just smaller) and I have replaced the trac bar three times in about 15k miles.