The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 03-26-2011, 04:57 PM
05 Dodge Ram 6Spd.5.9 CTD

Default Fass fuel pump systems

I have a question to get a second opinion. Once in a while I'll feel my oats and get on my 5.9 Cummins. Sometimes around 2600 to 2800 RPM's I'll get a few sputters, I was thinking I don't have enough fuel supply to my CP3 pump? (If that's what it's called.)

I thought about puting a Fass fuel system on my truck. I was told if there's air bubbles in the fuel as it reaches the injectors. The air bubbles will infact damage the injector tips. I understand exactly what the man was saying, in my mind the plunger pushes the fuel through the tip. If there is an air bubble in the fuel at that point, the plunger will burst the air bubble and slam into the injector tip. In turn damages the fuel spray pattern. This subject came up because, I went on a 200 mile trip. When I got off the exit, and reached the red light. I smelt diesel fuel, there was nothing leaking any where at all! I'm thinking it's coming from the vent on the engine because there's too much fuel being delivered to the combustion chamber due to a damaged injector tip. Does this make any sense?? Thanking you in advance,

Anthony C
2005 Dodge Ram 5.9 CTD 4X4 6Spd NV 5600 373 Ratios. Spyn Tec Lockout Hubs. Carli Front Suspension Components. 285/70R17 Michelin LTX MS/2. Complete Banks Power Pack System, including cold air intake with scoop. 5" Magnaflow Turbo Back Exhaust. Hunter Running Boards (blade series). OEM Mudflaps. Undercover Tonneau. Recon LED Smoked Tail Lights.

Last edited by stodg73; 09-15-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Administrator

I guess the first thing I would want to know is what is your rail pressure? If you don't have one this is what they consist of: RAIL PRESSURE GAUGE That would tell you if you need to upgrade your fuel system or if you have a regulator problem. It would also assist a bunch in diagnosing problems in the future too!! It is possible that you may even have an injector problem causing your sputtering.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:59 AM
05 Dodge Ram 6Spd.5.9 CTD

Thanks Tom, this makes sense. No point in jumping all over the page, process of elimination. One step at a time, very well put. You're right, fuel pressure has to be established first and go from there. I couldn't view anything with the rail pressure gauge link you sent, please try again. Thank you,

Anthony C
2005 Dodge Ram 5.9 CTD 4X4 6Spd NV 5600 373 Ratios. Spyn Tec Lockout Hubs. Carli Front Suspension Components. 285/70R17 Michelin LTX MS/2. Complete Banks Power Pack System, including cold air intake with scoop. 5" Magnaflow Turbo Back Exhaust. Hunter Running Boards (blade series). OEM Mudflaps. Undercover Tonneau. Recon LED Smoked Tail Lights.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Here is the link for you to see what I had posted before. It is nothing special, but just to show you what a rail pressure gauge is like. http://www.torkteknology.com/product...SI-R13288.html
Old 06-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Puff Puff

this issue happens to me in my truck all the time and then my VP will throw me a code the P0253.......i have a fuel pressure gauge and warning light and neither of them show signs of low fuel pressure. im at 14psi at WOT and she'll still sputter hard
'02 "Carrie" 4x4 Auto, 6in straight pipe TBE, Autometer Gauges, AFe Stage II CAI w/ Torque Tube, ATS Intake Manifold, ATS Aurora 3k, AirDog150, Smarty, Edge Comp "HOT", BD Stealth Cover, ATS DYNO on 8/6/2011 = 447hp 970ft-lbs
Old 06-12-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrew24 View Post
this issue happens to me in my truck all the time and then my VP will throw me a code the P0253.......i have a fuel pressure gauge and warning light and neither of them show signs of low fuel pressure. im at 14psi at WOT and she'll still sputter hard
P0253 in a injection pump failure code... (Sorry)

DTC P0253: FUEL INJECTION PUMP FUEL VALVE OPEN CIRCUIT
Description
Fuel injection pump fuel valve open circuit is monitored when ignition is on. DTC may be stored when Engine Control Module (ECM) senses engine speed is more than 100 RPM and low current or no current is detected at fuel metering valve. Possible causes are: defective fuel injection pump, defective battery, or defective connectors or wiring.
Testing
1. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using scan tool, check for DTCs. If DTC SPECIFIC GOOD TRIP counter is not equal to zero, go to next step. If DTC SPECIFIC GOOD TRIP counter is equal to zero, go to step 4 .
2. Turn ignition off. Inspect wiring harness and connectors between Fuel Pump Control Module (FPCM) and ECM, and between fuel pump relay and FPCM. FPCM is located on top of fuel injection pump. See Fig. 32 . FPCM is incorporated into fuel injection pump and may also be referred to as the fuel injection pump when referencing to wiring diagram. ECM is located on driver's side of engine, just in front of fuel transfer pump and contains a 50-pin connector. Fuel pump relay is located in PDC at driver's side front corner of engine compartment. Fuel pump relay may also be referred to as fuel injection pump relay. If no problems exist, go to next step. If any problems exist, repair wiring or connectors as necessary.
3. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using scan tool, read FREEZE FRAME data. Operate vehicle within FREEZE FRAME data parameters while wiggling wiring harness and connectors between FPCM and ECM, and between fuel pump relay and FPCM. If DTC SPECIFIC GOOD TRIP counter changes to zero, go to next step. If DTC SPECIFIC GOOD TRIP counter does not change to zero, test is complete.
4. Ensure ignition is on with engine off. Using scan tool, check for DTCs. If DTC P0215 does not exist, go to next step. If DTC P0215 exists, perform DTC P0215: FUEL INJECTION PUMP CONTROL CIRCUIT test.
5. Turn ignition off. Using DVOM, measure voltage between battery terminals. If voltage is 12 volts or more, go to next step. If voltage is less than 12 volts, recharge or replace battery as necessary.
6. Ensure ignition is off. Disconnect FPCM connector. FPCM connector is located on end of fuel injection pump. FPCM is incorporated into fuel injection pump and may also be referred to as the fuel injection pump when referencing to wiring diagram. Using 12-volt test light connected to battery voltage, check for voltage at terminal No. 6 (Black/Tan wire) on FPCM connector. If test light illuminates brightly, go to next step. If test light does not illuminate brightly, repair open or high resistance on Black/Tan wire between FPCM and ECM. ECM is located on driver's side of engine, just in front of fuel transfer pump and contains a 50-pin connector.
7. Ensure ignition is off and FPCM connector is still disconnected. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using 12-volt test light, check for voltage at terminal No. 7 on FPCM connector. If test light illuminates brightly, go to next step. If test light does not illuminate brightly, repair open or high resistance on Red/Light Green wire between FPCM connector and cavity No. 87 (Red/Light Green wire) in PDC for fuel pump relay.
8. Perform starter draw test with starter installed. Starter draw should be 450-700 amps. If starter draw is not within specification, repair or replace starter. If starter draw is within specification, using DVOM, measure voltage between battery terminals while cranking engine. If voltage is 8 volts or more, replace fuel injection pump. If voltage is less than 8 volts, recharge or replace battery as necessary.
2002 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 5 Speed NV4500 transmission, 4x4, 3.55 Gears, AirDog 150 fuel pump with 1/2" Big Line Kit, Stock Bosch VP44 Injection Pump, Bosch RV275 Injectors +40HP, Edge Comp Performance Box, BHAF (Big Honkin' Air Filter), Stock Holset HX35W Turbo, Straight 3" Pipe Exhaust, Crankcase Vent Mod, High Idle Mod, MPG / IAT fooler Mod, ScanGauge II, 25% Tinted Windows, DiPricol Gauges (Fuel pressure, Boost, Pyrometer), 235/85 R16 tires mounted on 16x7 Aluminum mags (weighing 62#), Custom Fog Lights, Custom Backup lights, Silverstar Headlights, 23-24 MPG

1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L Magnum V8 Gasoline Engine, 46RE Automatic Transmission, 4WD with CAD axle with 3.55 Gears, Mopar Performance PCM, Gutted Kitty, ScanGauge II, 35% Tinted Windows, 16-17 MPG

Old 06-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrew24 View Post
There is a slight difference between a Bosch VP 44 and a CP3......

Last edited by stodg73; 09-15-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
There is a slight difference between a VP and a CP3......
Dang you Tom... :sarcasm: I forget your site is all ball in one forum... Well I tried...
2002 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 5 Speed NV4500 transmission, 4x4, 3.55 Gears, AirDog 150 fuel pump with 1/2" Big Line Kit, Stock Bosch VP44 Injection Pump, Bosch RV275 Injectors +40HP, Edge Comp Performance Box, BHAF (Big Honkin' Air Filter), Stock Holset HX35W Turbo, Straight 3" Pipe Exhaust, Crankcase Vent Mod, High Idle Mod, MPG / IAT fooler Mod, ScanGauge II, 25% Tinted Windows, DiPricol Gauges (Fuel pressure, Boost, Pyrometer), 235/85 R16 tires mounted on 16x7 Aluminum mags (weighing 62#), Custom Fog Lights, Custom Backup lights, Silverstar Headlights, 23-24 MPG

1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L Magnum V8 Gasoline Engine, 46RE Automatic Transmission, 4WD with CAD axle with 3.55 Gears, Mopar Performance PCM, Gutted Kitty, ScanGauge II, 35% Tinted Windows, 16-17 MPG

Old 06-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973man View Post
Well I tried...
Yep, you are trying....... very trying!!!:wowee:
Old 06-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Puff Puff

does this mean I replace my VP44 MoparMan? or can I use the smarty to diagnose or do i need to have a dealer check that???
'02 "Carrie" 4x4 Auto, 6in straight pipe TBE, Autometer Gauges, AFe Stage II CAI w/ Torque Tube, ATS Intake Manifold, ATS Aurora 3k, AirDog150, Smarty, Edge Comp "HOT", BD Stealth Cover, ATS DYNO on 8/6/2011 = 447hp 970ft-lbs

Last edited by stodg73; 09-15-2012 at 11:30 AM.