The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Quick Help Needed > Quick Help Needed

Welcome to the forum!
When you register you will have access to our "Downloads" section and our "Lounge" forums!

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quick Help Needed Quick Help Needed

Old 04-01-2011, 01:49 PM

Angry 2005 Dodge Cummins Mileage DECREASE

Hey Everybody,
New to this forum and I'm gonna ask for help after I introduce myself. My name is Shawn and I am the proud owner of a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. We bought it two years ago with 119,000 miles on it. 2nd gear went out in the tranny last year and required a rebuild. With the rebuild, I paid extra for a "better" torque converter after being told that stock ones were a potential problem. Right after that, I put the Banks Six-Gun on it with the exhaust and air system. Prior to the upgrades, we would get about 17/18 mpg empty. After the upgrades, it has dropped to an average of about 14 mpg. After smashing the BanksIQ in the door, I took the Six-Gun completely out of the equation until I can buy a new IQ (one for me AND one for the truck). The mileage has gone up to about 15mpg empty. I run synthetic oil, have the truck serviced every 5000 miles. had the fuel filter changed last service with an OEM filter and it did no good!
Anybody ever seen this before?
PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by stodg73; 09-21-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Well, first of all, WELCOME!! Sorry about your mileage. Do you have any smoke (white, grey, black)? Do you happen to know what your rail pressure is? Does your transmission feel better to you (rpm wise, pedal position, etc)? Generally with a little timing added these trucks run better so it is strange that your truck is doing so poorly mileage wise. Does the truck feel like it used to? I know, lots of questions.........But we will help you get through this!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:24 PM

Default 05 Dodge

Just a little bit of black smoke under harder acceleration. Other than that, no smoke.
I don't have any idea about the rail pressure. I'm disabled, so I use a mechanic that I trust.
I also don't know about the timing on this truck. Basically, I don't know squat except that my mileage leaves something to be desired...........
Without the Banks computer, the truck seems to have plenty of power. The tranny seems to short-shift sometimes under slower acceleration.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:41 PM

First off leave the banks out of it. Get something worth a dam. Like a smarty, ts-mp8 or a quadzilla adrenaline. What size exhaust? And did you remove the cat?

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Administrator

I am wondering about possible injector problems. You may want to hook a loaded trailer to the truck and take it out and work the crap out of it. They have a tendency to want to 'gunk up' the injectors and need to be worked to burn the crap off of the injectors.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:31 PM

Default 05 Dodge

First off to Jagsdiesel..............it's a 4" exhaust (cat back). i don't have emission controls where I live so I wanted an exhaust w/out the cat, but Banks didn't have it. Second, also to Jags, I thought Banks was the best one for the Cummins. Afterall, wasn't the Banks made originally for the Cummins? Also for Jags, most of the other opriond you listed I haven' heard of. Can you give me more info on them? THANKS for your imput, Brother! Keep it coming!!

For MnTom, I have taken it out and REALLY romped on it (just to make sure the Banks was doing something). Other than that, I'm probably a little too paranoid to work it very work.......................I know, what a puss..............I blame my medications (I'm on some good ones!). I have been wondering about ECMs and injectors quite a bit lately.

I love the help fellas!! Keep it comin'!!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:33 PM

Default 05 Dodge

Sorry Jags, it was supposed to read other "options" NOT opriond.................once again, I'll blame my meds............
Old 04-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Hey, can you share some of those meds?? Naw, just kidding.... Anyhow, Banks is OK stuff (they have the best marketing), but for the best 'bang for the buck' a Smarty is one of the better ones for programmers. http://www.smartydieseltuner.com/sit...5/page/3132258 But, they aren't cheap. The Quadzilla rates right up there with the Smarty too. http://www.xtremediesel.com/search.a...FYS8KgodpGINqQ. The guys that run either one seem to be happy with them. Anyhow, try getting some Power Service in the white bottle and give your truck a good dose (like the whole bottle) in one tank then take it out and try running it hard for the tank full (without getting in trouble of course!). That may help things out for a while.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Out There, Savin' Lives

When was the last time that you filled up? You may still have winter fuel in the tank, and that will lower mileage some.

I agree with MnTom, you need to hook up to a trailer, somethng that weighs about 5000lbs, then go for a drive, anywherre between 100 - 200 miles. This will keep your cylinder temps up and possibly clean the injectors out/off.

Like Tom said, run a bottle of white Power Service through while towing, to clean things up a bit.

With that being said, you need to get some gauges installed in your truck. This way, you know what your EGT's, tranny temp, boost, fuel pressure and rail pressure are. There are several manufacturers that offer digital readouts, or you can go with analog gauges. The choice is yours. Here is some reading about gauges: Gauge Information
Some of the information in this article may not pertain to you, yet you can use lots of the information. Since you have a mechanic that you trust, then you can have him put the gauges in.
O.O., 01.5, Dodge, 2500, High Output (H.O.) Cummins Turbo Diesel (245/505), Quad Cab Long Bed (QCLB), 4x4, Sport, Original Bosch VP 44 Injection Pump, 6 Speed/NV5600 Transmission, 3.55 Gears, 105k, currently stock engine, Fram Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: Fuel Pressure (FP), Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Oil Temperature, SMARTY@1, Airtex lift pump 19 psi @ idle, 14 psi @ WOT, Propane Injection, 2 Stroke Oil, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Fooler = Better MPG, Bed Lined, Chrome Nerf Bars, more to come!!

Toys:
'79 CJ5, 258ci, 3" lift, 33x12.50x15, Stock Engine and 3 Speed Tranny
'05 Suzuki, GSX1300R, Hayabusa, All Stock, #3('00 blown engine, '00 stolen, & '05)
The complete live & learn and pass it on by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:56 AM

Default 05 Dodge

Gentlemen, thank you so much for your input! This is great and I don't know why I didn't join sooner!
Ok, back to the truck.......................before I smashed the BanksIQ in the door, I had a full set of gauges, now I don't which is why I took the Six-gun completely out of the equation............I couldn't moniter or control anything. The last thing I wanted to do was burn up the $3000.00 tranny rebuild. That would have been a little annoying................! I have never heard of the Power Service MnTom talked about. I am gonna look it up and get some asap! I live in southern Arizona, about 30 miles north of the mexican border. To the best of my knowledge, we don't change fuels in the winter here. Whether we do or not, I just fueled up last week, so if anything was changed I should be running the new stuff.
stodg73, I didn't even know there were gauges available to moniter fuel pressure and rail pressure! That's another item I will be looking into! Thank you!
MnTom, the meds can be fun, but they can also be a slight inconvenience when they really kick in when I'm trying to concentrate! Since I never really know when they will kick in, things stay relatively interesting.............