The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 07-19-2011, 08:13 AM

Default Installed raptor pump same time as fuel plate

The shop installed a raptor pump at the same time as the plate. The only thing that makes me suspect it is that they cut the big blue reinforced lines coming from the pump and and attached my older non reinforced rubber fuel lines. Is the raptor sucking the line closed starving the truck?......That raptor puts out alot of pressure and fuel way more than the stock plunger pump. So it has to draw alot more fuel.

I think I will replace that hose with some reinforced tubing anyway just in case. I will also mention it to the shop who installed it. It has cost me a bit for them to get this plate working since they installed it and it could be from that stupid hose they spliced in.

Last edited by busymountain; 07-19-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 AM

Default NOT fuel lines

The fuel lines are pretty good stuff - Parker push lock 250psi. Better hose than comes with the raptor.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 AM

Default Electric valves problem maybe also pressure from Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymountain View Post
I took my road trip pulling trailer today. Started off great good excelleration and power. Around the 40-60 mile range it started to poop out again. No power, pedal to the floor to get 65 out of it barley up to any heat on the exhaust. Later after it cooled down and began home still ran poorly. Then stopped for about 1/2 hour it took off like a truck. Ran great almost all the way home - on diesel only just to make sure. About 3 miles from home just after I got off the interstate it lost its power again. Cant really tell why.

I spoke with the shop who did the plate and he really likes the sticky plunger in the pump idea. Is there any merit to that one? Its pretty expensive. I asked him about possible problems with the AFC, he did not seem to think to likely. He suggested if we have problems after it heats up then starts to fail that may suggest a pump prob. (sticky plunger) Said he used to see alot of issues with that but that was years ago.

I have got an idea: The electric 3 way valves that control fuel type are set up for my truck - the "stock" version. Am I just demanding more fuel than those valves can produce. Sometimes maybe it just works because I have good pressure from the raptor we installed so it goes good for a while but then when it looses momentum it dies out? On the other hand it runs good up and down hills even when I let up on the excellerator to get off the temp for the exhaust.

Are those AFC units prone to problems? Intermitent?
Just spoke to Greasecar about their electric valves. They have upgraded the size of the valves for that system. The smallest restriction in that valves is 1/8 inch ok for stock but not for a plate and pulling a trailer. I ordered a new larger set of valves.

The greasecar people also told me that the raptor pump we just installed should only be supplying around 15lbs pressure. I am sure they have it set at around 30 or so. Can this be a problem?

I am going to bypass the valve for now and see if that solves my low power issue.

Last edited by busymountain; 07-19-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:40 PM

Smile That did not do it either...not the valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymountain View Post
Just spoke to Greasecar about their electric valves. They have upgraded the size of the valves for that system. The smallest restriction in that valves is 1/8 inch ok for stock but not for a plate and pulling a trailer. I ordered a new larger set of valves.

The greasecar people also told me that the raptor pump we just installed should only be supplying around 15lbs pressure. I am sure they have it set at around 30 or so. Can this be a problem?

I am going to bypass the valve for now and see if that solves my low power issue.
I ordered new 3 way valves. I bypassed the old valves the fuel supply to the pump and the return line. It ran great for awhile and then it struck again. 3rd gear barley hit 2200 rpm, low heat and maxed out. Its like as it gets warmer the more power it loses.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Administrator

You are definitely starving your truck of fuel, now to figure out why. Far as the three way valve I would expect to see a problem a lot sooner than after 40 miles. Have you checked your fuel cap? What I mean is that when it is acting up have you loosened the fuel cap and heard a sucking sound? It is possible that the roll over valve on you fuel tank is plugged up and with the larger pump you are able to pull the tank into a vacuum and not be able to get the fuel to the engine.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 PM

Default I will try it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
You are definitely starving your truck of fuel, now to figure out why. Far as the three way valve I would expect to see a problem a lot sooner than after 40 miles. Have you checked your fuel cap? What I mean is that when it is acting up have you loosened the fuel cap and heard a sucking sound? It is possible that the roll over valve on you fuel tank is plugged up and with the larger pump you are able to pull the tank into a vacuum and not be able to get the fuel to the engine.

Thanks for not forgetting me here Tom. I am about to take a test drive, I have just tweeked the starwheel a little. This trip I will leave fuel cap off so it gets lots of flow and see if my power fails. I will report back.:cool:
Old 07-19-2011, 11:04 PM

Default NO fuel cap

Ran pretty good for a while. I thought we may have had it.

Some results:
4th gear 900f 2400rpm flat ground floored
4th 1200f 2600 rpm downhill floored
4th 900f 2200rpm downhill floored
4th 2200rpm flat 50mph floored
5th 900f 2100 rpm 65mph downhill floored
2 min later
5th 900f 2100rpm 65mph flat ground etc..... When I say floored that means the truck was maxed out - no more power or speed. I am pulling a trailer for my test drive.

It feels like it gradually looses its power. When excellerating it seems like it is going to kick in then flatlines. The truck was running good for the first 45 min or so. It still runs good just alot less power.

I bypassed those little electric valves today - did not make a difference either.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post

It makes me wonder after installing that new raptor pump at the same time the plate was installed. The fuel line goes up from the tank into the filter and over to the valve. From the valve it goes back down to the raptor which is mounted lower. It has to draw quite a bit. But you would think you would notice it sooner.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Administrator

So, it ran good with the cap loose?
Old 07-20-2011, 07:49 AM

Took the cap completley off for the drive. It ran great and I good feelings. Then it went back to its old ways.
Its like I have a governor all the sudden. Could the governor be fighting the new fuel plate?

I still have black smoke when the power decreases so it seems to have fuel in that respect anyway.

Last edited by busymountain; 07-20-2011 at 07:52 AM.