The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 07-26-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymountain View Post
ISX thank you for looking in on this.

Are these raptors somehow controlled by the engine rpm? I thought it was just a pump with 1 speed 1 pressure? I am trying to make sure I understand this correctly.

I was thinking that the overflow may be open constantly from to much raptor pressure. The truck would seem to run fine except when you put the boot to it, then it would kind of slug out because the fuel is getting diverted back to the tank. Maybe the raptor is set to high or the new valve spring is bad, either case the fuel is diverted away from the P7100.?

Have you ever heard of these raptors not running at high enough pressure? If they set the pressure in the shop at what seemed good around 30psi at about 2000 rpm they may not notice a problem. When it gets under a load however it might be a different story. You said these things should be set around 45psi.

I have not heard back from the shop as to what the pressures where when they installed it yet. I want to make sure they did it correctly. They have a new tech who installed the pump but he is a factory ford tech so, I am not sure if he was directed to make the pump work right.
The raptor pressure is set so if it is set at 45, it is always going to be at 45 no matter if it's idling or not. I was talking about the stock lift pump when I said that. The stock one runs off the engine cam and since idle is low rpm, there isn't much pumping going on so the pressure is lower. Your's will be 45 the entire time and the overflow will be open the entire time to keep it regulated, though I think the raptor has a regulator of it's own built in.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stodg73 View Post
Instead of drilling out the Banjo bolt, you might try and use one of THESE.
Will this work on the P7100 pump - I don't have the VP44.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:49 PM

Thank you ISX - any word about failures of any kind with these pumps?
Old 07-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Out There, Savin' Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymountain View Post
Will this work on the P7100 pump - I don't have the VP44.
It should worek in place of the banjo bolt that you are planning to drill out. I have tried to drill out the original banjo bolts, yet they have all come out crooked.

This is tapped crooked, so getting it too seal up is very hard.
O.O., 01.5, Dodge, 2500, High Output (H.O.) Cummins Turbo Diesel (245/505), Quad Cab Long Bed (QCLB), 4x4, Sport, Original Bosch VP 44 Injection Pump, 6 Speed/NV5600 Transmission, 3.55 Gears, 105k, currently stock engine, Fram Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: Fuel Pressure (FP), Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Oil Temperature, SMARTY@1, Airtex lift pump 19 psi @ idle, 14 psi @ WOT, Propane Injection, 2 Stroke Oil, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Fooler = Better MPG, Bed Lined, Chrome Nerf Bars, more to come!!

Toys:
'79 CJ5, 258ci, 3" lift, 33x12.50x15, Stock Engine and 3 Speed Tranny
'05 Suzuki, GSX1300R, Hayabusa, All Stock, #3('00 blown engine, '00 stolen, & '05)
The complete live & learn and pass it on by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:19 PM

I don't know anything about the raptor's, still using the stock lift pump. Anything electrical like the raptor can have it's flaws at times.

As for the banjo bolt, I actually did it in the mill using some really accurate tools but you can take it to a machine shop, stick it in a 3 jaw lathe (the ones where all 3 jaws move at the same time, making indicating the part in a breeze), and they can drill and tap it in probably 2 minutes flat. I know machine shops like to charge a flat fee as if 1 min were 1 hour but maybe if you bring them the drill and tap to use and tell them to keep them afterwards, they will charge next to nothing, especially since it will take them only 2 minutes to do it. Then you will know it's perfectly centered as well. Sweet talk them if you don't want to buy the drill/tap lol.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Anything new on this?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
Anything new on this?

I tried pulling the trailer with the truck the other day and decided that the potential for damaging something because the truck was not operating correctly was to high to keep pulling that trailer. I use this truck at least 3 days a week and my backup truck is down for now. So I made a couple of calls to some other shops.

I spoke to another Bosch shop to get a second opinion about the pump and sticky plungers. He said it did not sound like plungers because there are only 2 symptoms of plungers that they have ever seen. 1 - Truck won't start or 2 - truck has no excelleration. And sticky plungers usually only happen with newer pumps, mine has many miles on it. That does not fit the symptoms mine is showing.

So I put the truck in thier hands to let them get it done. So far the fuel pressure is good. They have adjusted the plate that was a little cockeyed.

I explained the other shop, (1st shop) looked and found that the governor foot was way to high so they removed the fuel filter so they could adjust it down. The new shop told me that that particular adjustment needed to be done on the bench to make sure it was operating correctly. So that is where we are. He is pulling it off and setting things up right, said it was necessary to make sure it was set up properly. He figures the pump to be fine just out of adjustment. They are going to set the timing also.

What I do not understand is I had that pump on the bench about 6 months ago with the first shop, the one who installed the plate. Wouldn't he have noticed that foot being adjusted to high? They told me after adjusting the foot down, after having it back in thier shop twice, that they had never had to adjust that foot for a fuel plate. How could it have been so far off anyway without him seeing it? Especially since they had to take the AFC off to install the plate and look in the hole while doing that? Am I being to suspicious?

I was under the impression that while on the bench those pumps get adjusted correctly and they make sure they operate properly and something like that would be adjusted appropriatley. Do you know if that is correct?

Last edited by busymountain; 07-29-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: added info
Old 07-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Administrator

I don't think you are being overly cautious. I would be paranoid about leaving my truck with someone like that. However, I smell something very fishy with what you were told. Things just don't seem to add up right to me. Sounds like the first shop really didn't know what they were doing but I was under the impression that you could adjust the foot with the pump on the truck.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
I don't think you are being overly cautious. I would be paranoid about leaving my truck with someone like that. However, I smell something very fishy with what you were told. Things just don't seem to add up right to me. Sounds like the first shop really didn't know what they were doing but I was under the impression that you could adjust the foot with the pump on the truck.
Of course you can. It's kind of a pain but it's not that hard, it's on the back of the pump under the AFC housing. If you take the AFC off and take the plate out, you can stick your finger in and out this other access plate hole. There are 2 screws with nuts on them (set screws). The top one is forbidden (supposedly, adjusted mine last week) and it calibrates the rack. The bottom (maybe middle is more like it) is the one for where the fueling arm thinger hits the plate. Definitely can be done in the truck.

What doesn't make sense to me is how it could all be screwed up by just adding a plate. You said they added the raptor as well, and now said fuel pressure is fine. There is more to it that they must have broke and not told you about or didn't realize they broke it. Intermittent conditions like this are very unheard of.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:46 PM

Default Fun with Dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISX View Post
Of course you can. It's kind of a pain but it's not that hard, it's on the back of the pump under the AFC housing. If you take the AFC off and take the plate out, you can stick your finger in and out this other access plate hole. There are 2 screws with nuts on them (set screws). The top one is forbidden (supposedly, adjusted mine last week) and it calibrates the rack. The bottom (maybe middle is more like it) is the one for where the fueling arm thinger hits the plate. Definitely can be done in the truck.

What doesn't make sense to me is how it could all be screwed up by just adding a plate. You said they added the raptor as well, and now said fuel pressure is fine. There is more to it that they must have broke and not told you about or didn't realize they broke it. Intermittent conditions like this are very unheard of.
Just got it back from shop number 2. They removed pump adjusted to running perimiters and reinstalled. The truck runs great in the lower gears but starts to peter out on not excellerate in 3rd, fourth and 5th are poor also. The boost stays up while it is running around 9psi at 750F at 70mph flat ground, floored.

I still think I am not getting fuel. It is not demanding the fuel as much in the lower gears but uses more with a constant flow at higher rpms. Would air bubbles act like that? Would not having the raptor close enough to the tank do that? The fuel line come out of the tank and up to the filter then around and back down to the raptor mounted on the frame, thats a ways with little head pressure to the raptor inlet. I know on pressure washers that unless you get good pressure to the supply they come out really weak at the other end. Similar principal.

Anybody know where airdog says to install that raptor? Do they want it right close to the tank so the pump does not have to try and draw fuel before pressurizing it and sending it to the p7100.