The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 07-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Administrator

That is definitely a fuel (or lack of) issue. Just out of curiosity, does the block still have the mechanical lift pump in place and if so does it work? Maybe try hooking up the original lp and see how it does.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
That is definitely a fuel (or lack of) issue. Just out of curiosity, does the block still have the mechanical lift pump in place and if so does it work? Maybe try hooking up the original lp and see how it does.

Yes its there, thought it was not working though. Thats why we went to the raptor.

I am interested in finding out if it has an internal bypass and where it is set.

The shop told me they checked the fuel available to the p7100 from the raptor and said it looked good. That does not mean anything. They saw good flow, probably good assumtion but only assumtion.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:13 AM

In other words, you're saying you never actually had a fuel pressure gauge on it while driving.. I am betting as you go through the gears on up to 70mph, the fuel pressure goes straight down. Mine was at 22psi max with a bad overflow and my power didn't seem too bad, not as bad as yours. Your fuel pressure must be sinking to single digits or something.

The stock lift pump is fine, although they do go out sometimes, a new one is like $150 and then you're good to go for a longg time, with no worries of it just failing like the raptor might do.

Hmm, they might have even set the raptors pressure really low, fine when you're in the first few gears but doesn't do the job when you're going faster. Fuel pressure gauge!

Here is the raptor 12V installation guide that might help you. http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/pe...-install-3.pdf
Old 07-30-2011, 11:21 AM

Wink Update - final I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISX View Post
In other words, you're saying you never actually had a fuel pressure gauge on it while driving.. I am betting as you go through the gears on up to 70mph, the fuel pressure goes straight down. Mine was at 22psi max with a bad overflow and my power didn't seem too bad, not as bad as yours. Your fuel pressure must be sinking to single digits or something.

The stock lift pump is fine, although they do go out sometimes, a new one is like $150 and then you're good to go for a longg time, with no worries of it just failing like the raptor might do.

Hmm, they might have even set the raptors pressure really low, fine when you're in the first few gears but doesn't do the job when you're going faster. Fuel pressure gauge!

Here is the raptor 12V installation guide that might help you. http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/pe...-install-3.pdf
No I did not get a gage installed because shop number 2 said it looked good. And this truck has been through 3 mechanical pumps in 5 years, they have been aftermarket which is probably the problem.

Thanks for the installation guide for the raptor. Looked it over myself last night online and decided that I would adjust the adjustment screw up just a bit. I did it this morning (1/4turn) and its running FINE! Suprised neither the shop that installed it nor the other shop caught that.

Slap me silly gentlemen - I think we have got it!

I asked shop #1 why they did not check the pressure on the pump when they installed it they told me it was already set from the factory.........:cool:
I will drop him a little email about the 1/4 turn adjustment for future reference next time he installs one. I will let that prick his conscious a little and see where that goes.

Thanks for your help guys! It helped me out alot knowing I had you guys with your ideas and experience also working on this. I would buy you a beer if I could.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:41 PM

I am not sure where that 1/4 turn put you pressure-wise, it would be smarter to just get a fuel pressure gauge. I know how it is though, if it works why spend more money lol. Hopefully it does the trick. You should really check that fuel pressure though to get it just right. Like I said, mine had 22psi and I really didn't notice any difference, and 22 is too low for the injection pump.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Out There, Savin' Lives

You can get one of these from Harbor Freight

This will tell you what the fuel pressure is.
O.O., 01.5, Dodge, 2500, High Output (H.O.) Cummins Turbo Diesel (245/505), Quad Cab Long Bed (QCLB), 4x4, Sport, Original Bosch VP 44 Injection Pump, 6 Speed/NV5600 Transmission, 3.55 Gears, 105k, currently stock engine, Fram Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: Fuel Pressure (FP), Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Oil Temperature, SMARTY@1, Airtex lift pump 19 psi @ idle, 14 psi @ WOT, Propane Injection, 2 Stroke Oil, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Fooler = Better MPG, Bed Lined, Chrome Nerf Bars, more to come!!

Toys:
'79 CJ5, 258ci, 3" lift, 33x12.50x15, Stock Engine and 3 Speed Tranny
'05 Suzuki, GSX1300R, Hayabusa, All Stock, #3('00 blown engine, '00 stolen, & '05)
The complete live & learn and pass it on by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Before you say it is fixed give it a few days and see how it does, but a pressure gauge would be a good thing! Anyhow, enjoy the truck and keep us posted!!
Old 07-31-2011, 02:13 PM

Default What if....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISX View Post
I am not sure where that 1/4 turn put you pressure-wise, it would be smarter to just get a fuel pressure gauge. I know how it is though, if it works why spend more money lol. Hopefully it does the trick. You should really check that fuel pressure though to get it just right. Like I said, mine had 22psi and I really didn't notice any difference, and 22 is too low for the injection pump.

So, can I turn that raptor up a bit without consequences? Maybe another 1/4 turn.

Be sure we will be getting a fuel gage on this thing in the near future but in the meantime ...
Old 07-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Administrator

You should be able to go another 1/4 turn without doing any harm, but when you get a pressure gauge on then you can "set it and forget it"!!
Old 07-31-2011, 03:08 PM

I just wonder how much 1/4 turn changes it. From what Mike tells me, a 1/4 turn on a boost elbow is a lot. I know it's not a boost elbow but we don't know anything about the ratio it changes at. If 1/4 turn turned it from crap to good, then it may have adjusted it a bunch.