The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 04-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Oudive, do me a favor and try putting a drop or two of oil from a gas engine on the same paper and post the results. I am curious as to how they compare.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:19 PM

Sure thing....

The gasser will be from the wife's Tahoe, not sure the mileage on the oil, but the display said about 53% oil life remaining. It will be later on this evening when I get it posted. Got to do some honey do's....

oudive

Sent using Tapatalk while hiding from the boss......
My Ride: 01 2500 Quad cab 4x4-DTT Built Tranny, Crazy Carls S357/S475 compounds, DDP 200hp injectors, Airdog 150 to OEM canister w/ Big Line Kit, DT ProFab Drivability Kit w/Bilsteins, Fluidampr, Edge JWA unlocked HOT w/stealth plate tap, Sport Conversion Headlights, Avaition lights on the rear axle...
Old 04-23-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudive View Post
Merf,

So I wanted to follow up and see how it has been working? Mine seems to be doing very well. I picked up a cat filter for my Airdog 150. So on the next filter change, I am going to try it out. I had some modified SAC injectors that I removed shortly after getting a sticky injector. Replaced them with some non SAC DDP injectors. The other day I put some oil on some paper by accident and then looked at it later. There seemed to be a light colored edge around the oil spot that I think may be fuel.
Looks good. I have about 8,000 miles on it still looks good I will pull the dip stick & take a picture & post it & the mileage hasn't drop usually after 5,000 miles on the oil my mileage drops to 20.7 so far I have been maintaining 21.7 every tank since the bypass.

One Owner 2001 Cummins 24V HO 6 speed, Valair Clutch, Quad Recon Gauges, Fass 95, DAP 50 HP Injectors, ATS Intake Air Horn, K/N Cold Air Intake w/Amsoil filter, Magnaflow 4" Exhaust, TS-MVP & Baldwin oil Bypass, Water/Methanol Injection, TWC-3 2 stroke oil in the tank_326,200 & still growing

Last edited by stodg73; 09-16-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:32 PM

Alright...

MnTom here is the comparison as requested. To me, it does not compare as I am comparing a vehicle that is gas and 9 years younger than the Dodge....with a considerable mileage difference. But let me know what your thinking.

I am going to do an oil analysis on the Dodge within the next month or so and looking to see what it says. From that I will decide on my next move. Got to thinking and since I still have the amsoil perferred customer I may swap the bypass filter out for their cheap filter head and then add their bypass filter. Or go back to conventional and keep running this bypass setup.

oudive
My Ride: 01 2500 Quad cab 4x4-DTT Built Tranny, Crazy Carls S357/S475 compounds, DDP 200hp injectors, Airdog 150 to OEM canister w/ Big Line Kit, DT ProFab Drivability Kit w/Bilsteins, Fluidampr, Edge JWA unlocked HOT w/stealth plate tap, Sport Conversion Headlights, Avaition lights on the rear axle...
Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudive View Post
Alright...

MnTom here is the comparison as requested. To me, it does not compare as I am comparing a vehicle that is gas and 9 years younger than the Dodge....with a considerable mileage difference. But let me know what your thinking.
To me the outer edges look quite similar. If you hold the crtl button and tap the + button it will zoom in and lok at the outer edges of the samples. I realize that you are attempting to compare apples to oranges because of the engines. The diesel sample looks to me like it has a lighter edge due to the soot getting trapped and settling out and the oil still expands its coverage area due to capillary action. That is where the two samples look quite similar to me, so I don't see any fuel dilution at all. That was why I wanted to compare the two.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:09 PM

MnTom,

I just looked closer and re-read your post. That is very interesting, I guess I was thinking more so back to the first picture I had posted. Then when I was putting this together, I used the same paper and my oil did not have that same light outer edge as the first picture posted. The first one was leading me to think of the fuel. But this side by side is alot different. What is your thoughts on the soot? Is there a way to tell besides oil analysis if there is too much? I am thinking that the amsoil bypass filter (they claim 2 micron) may filter it out the soot better?

oudive

Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 AM

Here's a shot of my dip stick at 8,000 miles with the bypass filter.
Still looks good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8277.jpg (90.8 KB, 19 views)

One Owner 2001 Cummins 24V HO 6 speed, Valair Clutch, Quad Recon Gauges, Fass 95, DAP 50 HP Injectors, ATS Intake Air Horn, K/N Cold Air Intake w/Amsoil filter, Magnaflow 4" Exhaust, TS-MVP & Baldwin oil Bypass, Water/Methanol Injection, TWC-3 2 stroke oil in the tank_326,200 & still growing
Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Oudive, I would not be too concerned because the oil is black. That is one of the things we cannot tell by looking at it just how much soot is in the oil. On my 12 valve, the IP holds enough oil that as soon as it starts after an oil change the oil looks black and my daughters truck ('98 12v) is the same way. The only way I can think of is to send it in for analysis. The finer the filter the better it filters, but also a dirty filter actually filters better than a new one! The reason for that is that new all the small 'holes' for the oil to pass are wide open. Once the filter gets dirty the 'holes' are actually smaller. A filter that is 100% effective is a completely plugged filter since nothing will pass through. If you or anyone else wants to get dealer pricing at Amsoil just let me know and you can use my dealers' number.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merf_09 View Post
Here's a shot of my dip stick at 8,000 miles with the bypass filter.
Still looks good.
Wish mine looked that good at that many miles.....
Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 PM

MnTom..I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

oudive