The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 06-04-2012, 04:39 AM
Jeeper with a Tow Rig

Default Balljoints/Front Axle

My 08 Dodge Cummins just rolled over somewhere around 115k. This summer I hope to get the balljoints, hubs, axle shaft joints and new diff covers front and rear. MagHytec--

The question I have is regarding the ball joints. Can I do these at home with my harbor freight ball joint press? I have done ball joints before on small Dana 30s. And actually they where on wheeling rigs that never seen the highway.

Definitely planning to use a high quality part. Either high end Moogs or Dynatrac ProSteers.

Same with the joints, I would like high quality parts. RCVs but I don't need them and my budget would not like them so much.

Hubs, you guessed it, best you can buy.

What can you fine folks recommend?

Last edited by stodg73; 09-16-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:50 AM

The Harbor Freight press will work but you got to be creative in how you press them out. I found on my truck do the lower first then the upper. As for leverage your going to need a 1/2 drive ratchet and a 4 foot long pipe over the handle then row like your sitting in a boat. Get some serious tension on the press then smack the knuckle side of the ball joint with a sledge hammer and it should pop out.

What ever you do don't heat the joints up with a torch.
2002 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 5 Speed NV4500 transmission, 4x4, 3.55 Gears, AirDog 150 fuel pump with 1/2" Big Line Kit, Stock Bosch VP44 Injection Pump, Bosch RV275 Injectors +40HP, Edge Comp Performance Box, BHAF (Big Honkin' Air Filter), Stock Holset HX35W Turbo, Straight 3" Pipe Exhaust, Crankcase Vent Mod, High Idle Mod, MPG / IAT fooler Mod, ScanGauge II, 25% Tinted Windows, DiPricol Gauges (Fuel pressure, Boost, Pyrometer), 235/85 R16 tires mounted on 16x7 Aluminum mags (weighing 62#), Custom Fog Lights, Custom Backup lights, Silverstar Headlights, 23-24 MPG

1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L Magnum V8 Gasoline Engine, 46RE Automatic Transmission, 4WD with CAD axle with 3.55 Gears, Mopar Performance PCM, Gutted Kitty, ScanGauge II, 35% Tinted Windows, 16-17 MPG

Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 PM
**childish comment here**

Also another good idea when reinstalling new hubs is to polish up (both sides if reinstalling the old one) and then coat the contact area with antiseize or grease. Last time I had my axle apart I was able to just remove my hubs by pulling them out by hand. No tools needed for removal.

Also a nice little trick for old stuck hub removal is to just loosen the bolts out about a quarter inch or a little more (all 4 of them). Then measure the distance between one of the bolt heads and a strong part of the flat surface on the axle side across from the bolt you choose. Then cut a large bolt or piece of large rod stock to that length. Then you need a buddy with a pliers to hold the piece between the bolt head and axle while you start the truck up and turn the wheel so that there is pressure on the bolt. Usually doing this on one bolt pops the whole bearing loose. I had one I needed to work on both sides. This trick works nice and also saves the bearing if it is still a reusable item.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Jeeper with a Tow Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknaks View Post
Also another good idea when reinstalling new hubs is to polish up (both sides if reinstalling the old one) and then coat the contact area with antiseize or grease. Last time I had my axle apart I was able to just remove my hubs by pulling them out by hand. No tools needed for removal.

Also a nice little trick for old stuck hub removal is to just loosen the bolts out about a quarter inch or a little more (all 4 of them). Then measure the distance between one of the bolt heads and a strong part of the flat surface on the axle side across from the bolt you choose. Then cut a large bolt or piece of large rod stock to that length. Then you need a buddy with a pliers to hold the piece between the bolt head and axle while you start the truck up and turn the wheel so that there is pressure on the bolt. Usually doing this on one bolt pops the whole bearing loose. I had one I needed to work on both sides. This trick works nice and also saves the bearing if it is still a reusable item.
Yeah. It sounds like my truck is the same song and dance pertaining to my Jeep stuff....just a whole lot bigger. Thanks guys for the input.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:04 PM
**childish comment here**

Yea I figured you'd know, but thought I'd mention it for others that may read the post.