The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 01-03-2014, 10:16 AM

One other thing. Not sure if it was mentioned. I had a talk with Tom over this. But it could also be injector connector tubes a little loose causing a high return rate. With the cold it could show its ugly face more.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Ram Boyz

Send a message via MSN to CSnyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSnyder View Post
Im sorry to say but Id be willing to bet you have a 99% chance that it is an injector failure and they need replaced. Im a few hours away in NE Iowa but would be happy to help you out. Feel free to call me at the shop from 8 am until 9 pm 7 days a week. 563-546-7772 Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtorq View Post
Good Evening everyone,

First let me introduce myself. I own Maxtorq Diesel In Denver Co and a Admin guy on DieselRam.com. I been working with the Cummins power plant since it was introduced in 1988 in the Dodge. I solely work on the Dodge with Cummins. I am a ASE Certified Master Tech L1 and T2 certified and Cummins Certified. I have over 30 years in the business.

Enough of the drivel as most just breeze over that as they walk in my shop anyway.

The the Original Poster I would like to convey a few things, I'm a black and white guy and tell it like it is. So MNTOM if I get outta line let me know.

First I read the entire thread here and everyone's responses.

Second I re read just your posts to filter out any BS.

Third ................ready for this?

YOU NEED INJECTORS Sir, aside from the other codes you have one or more injectors with high return flow rates. Your very first post says it all. Normally when you have to hit a truck with heptane you have atleast three injectors that have high return flow. If your still in denial pull the injectors send them to me and I'll wave the test fee which is 40 per injector. I will give you a flow sheet with any items bad high lighted and send them back to you.

Your more than welcome to call me as well to discuss your issue. You can also research us on the net under Maxtorq Diesel or search us on Facebook. I'm never on it but the wife is.

Maxtorq Diesel Performance
13200 West 43rd Drive, #106
Golden, CO 80403
(303) 278-8038
Thank you and awesome that you are willing to waive the test fee to prove it!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:10 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Maxtorq

It takes a lot earn peoples trust in this business. I also don't even offer warranties, my word is my bond. If I've built something and if it fails in a different state I'll have it towed and find a shop willing take care it for me. However I hate part failures so I'm a pay attention to detail freak.

Hey C,

I know you have seen me around. I noticed that you are from the north eastern part of IA, I'll be floating through that part around about June time frame. The wife's family lives in Waterloo, Sumner and Denver. All John Deere employees.

Go time for some barley pops?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:13 AM

I'm the author of this thread and kind of lost track of it!

FULL UPDATE
I changed 2 injectors on this truck and it took care of the problem but expect it will need the other 4 injectors some day! As for that issue "GOD" has taken this truck off my hands. My building colapsed on the truck 2 days prior to christmas and we feel the body damage ( hood, cab, box, tailgait, driver and passanger door, grill ) may be a total on the insurance claim. The truck is still under the trusses as it was way to cold to pull the building apart to get it out so I flew to Mesa Arizona last week and picked up a 2008 Ford Dually 4X4 in an extended cab long box. Awesome running rust free truck in like new condition. So this being said, if anyone is looking for a parts truck this may be a good one to pick up from the insurance company???? It did dent the top of the roof at the edge above the driver side doors so it may or may not need a cab! The right side of the truck looks new. I don't know, maybe it can be driven as is when I get it out, just not sure yet!!! PM me if you have any interest in it.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Administrator

I am glad you got the problem figured out, but sad that the truck got dented.... Just out of curiosity, how did you determine which injectors were the culprit? Congrats on the new to you truck! I have a friend that has one similar to yours and he really likes the truck, but for him it is his first diesel!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Ram Boyz

Send a message via MSN to CSnyder

Quote:
It takes a lot earn peoples trust in this business. I also don't even offer warranties, my word is my bond. If I've built something and if it fails in a different state I'll have it towed and find a shop willing take care it for me. However I hate part failures so I'm a pay attention to detail freak.

Hey C,

I know you have seen me around. I noticed that you are from the north eastern part of IA, I'll be floating through that part around about June time frame. The wife's family lives in Waterloo, Sumner and Denver. All John Deere employees.

Go time for some barley pops?
You bet man! Stop in when you get out here!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger99 View Post
Good morning MtTom: This morning it is 40 deg. here, I plugged in my truck last night, went out this AM and it did not turn over for 2 seconds until it had fired off. I just don't understand how that can happen if the injectors are leaking down the fuel pressure in the rail. If I don't plug it in it will crank until the batteries go dead! Any more thoughts until I can get home where I have the tools to work on it. My wife says just keep plugging it in and to he%% with fixing it, I don't think that is an option.

Winger99, Did you ever figure out what your exact issue was?

Cheers,
Robert
Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Good Evening everyone,

First let me introduce myself. I own Maxtorq Diesel In Denver Co and a Admin guy on DieselRam.com. I been working with the Cummins power plant since it was introduced in 1988 in the Dodge. I solely work on the Dodge with Cummins. I am a ASE Certified Master Tech L1 and T2 certified and Cummins Certified. I have over 30 years in the business.

Enough of the drivel as most just breeze over that as they walk in my shop anyway.

The the Original Poster I would like to convey a few things, I'm a black and white guy and tell it like it is. So MNTOM if I get outta line let me know.

First I read the entire thread here and everyone's responses.

Second I re read just your posts to filter out any BS.

Third ................ready for this?

YOU NEED INJECTORS Sir, aside from the other codes you have one or more injectors with high return flow rates. Your very first post says it all. Normally when you have to hit a truck with heptane you have atleast three injectors that have high return flow. If your still in denial pull the injectors send them to me and I'll wave the test fee which is 40 per injector. I will give you a flow sheet with any items bad high lighted and send them back to you.

Your more than welcome to call me as well to discuss your issue. You can also research us on the net under Maxtorq Diesel or search us on Facebook. I'm never on it but the wife is.

Maxtorq Diesel Performance
13200 West 43rd Drive, #106
Golden, CO 80403
(303) 278-8038

Maxtorq,
If the injectors do have a high return flow, thus the root cause of hard cold starts..... Would damage to the engine occur if he were to continue to run those injectors?
What do you feel is the issue with Winger99's issue?
Thanks much!

Robert
Old 02-10-2014, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossola View Post
Maxtorq,
If the injectors do have a high return flow, thus the root cause of hard cold starts..... Would damage to the engine occur if he were to continue to run those injectors?
What do you feel is the issue with Winger99's issue?
Thanks much!

Robert
From what I have learned there is a chance of some engine damage with high return rates at starting due to the fact it could be dribbling fuel when cranking and through out the running of the engine. Without pulling and testing the injector(s) it would be real difficult (IMHO) to pin point the exact cause. It could be any of these causes:
Worn injector ball seat
1. Leaking cross feed tubes (Cummins)
2. Blown internal high-pressure seal
3. Incorrect nozzle needle clearance
4. Cracked nozzle body
5. Cracked injector body

Tom