The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Quick Help Needed > Quick Help Needed

Welcome to the forum!
When you register you will have access to our "Downloads" section and our "Lounge" forums!

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quick Help Needed Quick Help Needed

Old 12-18-2012, 10:44 PM
monkeywithcarkeys

Default Im in trouble, I stripped the band adjusting screw 47rh

So sorry to bother all, but I need some advise quick. I have a 1994 dodge 2500, 47rh tranny when I was adjusting my reverse band (inside the pan), I was using a 12 sided socket and stripped the hex head, I bought the right socket, and no go, it was too stripped. I might be able to hammer on a 6mm socket to undo the screw but can I remove the screw and replace it or will something worse happen if I take it all the way out. if not can I leave the socket on the screw head permenantly? any body know what to do? Am I screwed? please, please
Old 12-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Out There, Savin' Lives

I am not sure. Are you able to get the bolt out? if so, then you can probably replace the bolt with another one.

Others will chime in.
O.O., 01.5, Dodge, 2500, High Output (H.O.) Cummins Turbo Diesel (245/505), Quad Cab Long Bed (QCLB), 4x4, Sport, Original Bosch VP 44 Injection Pump, 6 Speed/NV5600 Transmission, 3.55 Gears, 105k, currently stock engine, Fram Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: Fuel Pressure (FP), Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Oil Temperature, SMARTY@1, Airtex lift pump 19 psi @ idle, 14 psi @ WOT, Propane Injection, 2 Stroke Oil, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Fooler = Better MPG, Bed Lined, Chrome Nerf Bars, more to come!!

Toys:
'79 CJ5, 258ci, 3" lift, 33x12.50x15, Stock Engine and 3 Speed Tranny
'05 Suzuki, GSX1300R, Hayabusa, All Stock, #3('00 blown engine, '00 stolen, & '05)
The complete live & learn and pass it on by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:34 AM
monkeywithcarkeys

thanks for the fast reply stodg73, can I take the adjustment screw all the way out without messing anything up?..i hammered a 6mm on, i thought it was close to the 72footpounds that it needed before backing off , I didnt want to strip it any worse so I just backed it off 2...socket is still on, its on there good...buttoned it back up and now NO second gear...before I adjusted it, it was really loose. the little arm was waggling and had a 1/3 inch of play, does that sound loose to anybody?
Old 12-19-2012, 01:46 AM
monkeywithcarkeys

I got the truck home, so its not an emergency any more, how do I move this thread to the correct forum?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:54 AM
monkeywithcarkeys

holy crap your !!!,it says 72 inch pounds not 72 foot pounds....tomorrow morning I will pull the pan and fix that...do you think I killed the tranny?
thanks so much for posting, I have to pay closer attention to detail
Old 12-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Out There, Savin' Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny7 View Post
holy crap your !!!,it says 72 inch pounds not 72 foot pounds....tomorrow morning I will pull the pan and fix that...do you think I killed the tranny?
That would be 6 ft-lbs, then turn 2 turns. Not sure if you killed the transmission, only way to see is to drive it.

No problems, trying to help.
O.O., 01.5, Dodge, 2500, High Output (H.O.) Cummins Turbo Diesel (245/505), Quad Cab Long Bed (QCLB), 4x4, Sport, Original Bosch VP 44 Injection Pump, 6 Speed/NV5600 Transmission, 3.55 Gears, 105k, currently stock engine, Fram Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: Fuel Pressure (FP), Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Oil Temperature, SMARTY@1, Airtex lift pump 19 psi @ idle, 14 psi @ WOT, Propane Injection, 2 Stroke Oil, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Fooler = Better MPG, Bed Lined, Chrome Nerf Bars, more to come!!

Toys:
'79 CJ5, 258ci, 3" lift, 33x12.50x15, Stock Engine and 3 Speed Tranny
'05 Suzuki, GSX1300R, Hayabusa, All Stock, #3('00 blown engine, '00 stolen, & '05)
The complete live & learn and pass it on by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny7 View Post
That could be VERY problematic! Let us know what you find out. I am really wondering about it too.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:55 AM
monkeywithcarkeys

I want to thank everyone who responded, I posted this problem on several boards but you folks had the most helpful imput. I pulled the pan off today and redid the hole operation according to the genos garage paper. Yesterday I hammered a 6mm socket over the stripped adjustment screw and its holding..it also wont come off, so i hope it will be ok. I put everything back together and second gear is back!!! I did not give it a good test drive (just around the parking lot) but tomorrow Ill give it a decent drive. I could only get lucas atf I hope it works out. I also added a drain plug in the pan (should have done that a long time ago)...I cant believe nobody has ever done the "72 ft/lbs- 72 in/lbs before....I will post tomorrow with how it all turned out but I just want youall to know that this board rules for helping idiots like me get back on the road
Old 12-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Thank you for the kind words! You are the one that did all the work. Anyhow, I am glad to read that you got things fixed again!