The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 01-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Out There, Savin' Lives

Default Dodge Cummins Propane Install & Information

Propane Install and Information

I installed a propane system on my truck several years ago. I did this to improve MPG’s. I bought this propane system from Ebay and found my tank, a 12 gallon D.O.T. approved tank, on Craigslist. I had to source some parts locally, these were easy to find. The parts needed were a 12 foot propane hose, a 5 foot propane hose, a 90* elbow with 2 brass propane connections, and an extra propane lock-off soleniod, also from Ebay.

Propane tank painted to match the truck color, under the crossover box. Also, you can see the second lock-off solenoid and how it is strapped to the tank.

See how the crossover box is lifted about 5 inches above the bed rails, this is to fit the propane tank.

My truck is a long bed so I needed the 2 different hoses. The propane tank is mounted in the bed between the frame rails, attached to the bed with 3/8ths inch grade 8 bolts and also to the crossover box with 5/16ths grade 8 bolts. I drilled a hole in the bed floor near the front and used the 90*elbow and brass couplers to go through the bed, this was to protect the hoses.
I placed the second propane shut-off valve at the tank, I did this for safety in case I get into a rollover accident and the tank becomes separated from the truck. I bolted the shut-off to the tank because the brass piping is small and may break if much stress is applied. I ran the wiring from the Hobbs switch power to the solenoid. By doing this, I am able to shut the tank solenoid and the entire system off from inside the cab.

I ran the 12 foot hose through the frame rail to the front near the airbox. I made a bracket from a piece of 3 in c-channel, and mounted the regulator behind the airbox. I then drilled a hole behind the air filter to insert the injection tube, pre-turbo. I also ran a coolant line through the ports of the regulator, this is in order to flash any liquid propane to gas before it gets to the airbox, possibly destroying the engine with huge amount of overpressure.

In this picture, you can see the airbox with the propane tube installed. The propane regulator is mounted behind the airbox.

Regulator mounted behind the airbox.

Here you can see the coolant line going through the regulator.

Here you can see how I ran the coolant through the regulator and back to the engine. I did not cut any original hoses to do this install.

I used a boost bolt as well, to mount the Hobbs switch to the intake. This way, I did not have to drill anywhere on the engine. I ran all the wiring into the cab using the same passageways as I ran the gauge wiring. I used 14 gauge wiring for the system.

The front boost bolt has the Hobbs Switch, with a 1" coupler and 1" union. This is also where the rear shut-off solenoid gets its power from. On mine, I have the turn on set at about 2 psi.

When setting my system up initially, I set the injection system about halfway, as per the instruction and went from there. After a few weeks, I decided to drop the pressure in the Hobbs switch from 4 psi to turn on to 2 psi to turn on the propane system. I haven’t really messed with the system since. No major adjustments, no real fine tuning, nothing. I just fill up the propane tank when it is near empty.

Before I put this system on my Cummins, I would get anywhere between 16-19 MPG. Now with this system, I am getting anywhere between 22-24 MPG, empty and 18-20 towing 10k. My system is set up to get roughly 3 tanks of diesel to 1 tank of propane. My truck is mainly stock, with the exception of using the SMARTY on level 1, most of the time, however, when I am towing heavy, I use the stock software. Since I have installed the propane system, I am not pressing on the accelerator as hard, therefore, not using as much diesel.

More to come…..
O.O., 01.5, Dodge, 2500, High Output (H.O.) Cummins Turbo Diesel (245/505), Quad Cab Long Bed (QCLB), 4x4, Sport, Original Bosch VP 44 Injection Pump, 6 Speed/NV5600 Transmission, 3.55 Gears, 105k, currently stock engine, Fram Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: Fuel Pressure (FP), Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Oil Temperature, SMARTY@1, Airtex lift pump 19 psi @ idle, 14 psi @ WOT, Propane Injection, 2 Stroke Oil, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Fooler = Better MPG, Bed Lined, Chrome Nerf Bars, more to come!!

Toys:
'79 CJ5, 258ci, 3" lift, 33x12.50x15, Stock Engine and 3 Speed Tranny
'05 Suzuki, GSX1300R, Hayabusa, All Stock, #3('00 blown engine, '00 stolen, & '05)
The complete live & learn and pass it on by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 AM

Thanks, stodg!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Out There, Savin' Lives

Links to other propane questions and installs.

My Propane System Install

Propane Questions

Others will be added.

Hope this helps.
O.O., 01.5, Dodge, 2500, High Output (H.O.) Cummins Turbo Diesel (245/505), Quad Cab Long Bed (QCLB), 4x4, Sport, Original Bosch VP 44 Injection Pump, 6 Speed/NV5600 Transmission, 3.55 Gears, 105k, currently stock engine, Fram Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: Fuel Pressure (FP), Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Oil Temperature, SMARTY@1, Airtex lift pump 19 psi @ idle, 14 psi @ WOT, Propane Injection, 2 Stroke Oil, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Fooler = Better MPG, Bed Lined, Chrome Nerf Bars, more to come!!

Toys:
'05 Suzuki, GSX1300R, Hayabusa, All Stock, #3('00 blown engine, '00 stolen, & '05)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Administrator

So, your system delivers a constant amount of propane or is it a variable supply?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:11 AM
Out There, Savin' Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
So, your system delivers a constant amount of propane or is it a variable supply?
Mine gives a variable amount of propane. The regulator is a negative pressure regulator, it gives more propane as vacuum is increased.

Toys:
Old 01-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Administrator

At first I was thinking your regulator was a constant volume reg, but I guess not. So I take it that the draw from the turbo is giving you your variable vacuum? My regulator works off of boost to vary the amount of propane.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Out There, Savin' Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
At first I was thinking your regulator was a constant volume reg, but I guess not. So I take it that the draw from the turbo is giving you your variable vacuum? My regulator works off of boost to vary the amount of propane.
Yes, the vacuum produced by the turbo determines how much propane is injected.

Toys:
Old 01-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Administrator

OK. I was wondering how yours worked.