The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Quick Help Needed > Quick Help Needed

Welcome to the forum!
When you register you will have access to our "Downloads" section and our "Lounge" forums!

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quick Help Needed Quick Help Needed

Old 02-17-2013, 08:39 PM

Default New problem....Truck wont start

well guys im seriously running out of patience. I go out to start my truck and it starts right up. I head to my inlaws However, after a minute or two my fuel pressure gauge starts going wacky. When I pull in the driveway it starts acting like it wants to die, fluctuating between 15psi and 2psi. It was pretty cold today (in the teens) for some reason when its real cold outside it has had a tendancy to drop around 10 or so but never like this. Then it stalls. Since my gauge cluster still doesnt work I figured MAYBE my luck finally ran out along with the fuel in my tank so I got 5 gallons of fuel just in case.

If I remember correctly my Airdog 150 kicks on when i turn the key on and am waiting for the "wait to start" light to go out but I cant remember for sure. Right now it will only kick on when I bump the starter. it will hold 12-15psi while the pump is running then bleeds down to zero within a couple seconds as if there were a hole in the fuel line (there isnt, I checked) I pulled the line off the VP (brand new) and bumped the starter, plenty of fuel.

After the Air dog runs and it's up to pressure shouldn't the Airdog kick back on if the pressure goes down? It just cranks and cranks.

Im lost....At this point I just want to get everything fixed and sell it
'98 1/2 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 24 valve, 6" stacks, AirDog I 150, Glowshift gauges (fuel press, EGT and boost, Trans temp gauge as well as Transgo shift kit to be installed soon. Other then that Im a stocker!!!.....FOR SALE
'04 Honda TRX450R fully pro built race quad (MX & TT set up) too much to list
Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Out There, Savin' Lives

If you just turn on the truck, the AirDog will not turn on and run, it should spin up and then quit after about 1-2 seconds. When you bump the starter, the pump should run for about 25 seconds.

When you are trying to start the engine, there should be 0-1 psi of fuel pressure, as the VP 44 does not like any pressure on startup. When you bump the started and let the pump run, it will build pressure, but it bleeds off very quickly.
The Airdog turning off after bumping the starter is normal, it will stay running when the truck is running, due to the ECM/PCM giving constant power to the Airdog.

Do you still have summer fuel in the tank? This could be gelling the fuel.

Have you checked for codes? Or is your OBD II port still not working?

Since your gauges are not working, have you checked all the fuses inside and under the hood?
O.O., 01.5, Dodge, 2500, High Output (H.O.) Cummins Turbo Diesel (245/505), Quad Cab Long Bed (QCLB), 4x4, Sport, Original Bosch VP 44 Injection Pump, 6 Speed/NV5600 Transmission, 3.55 Gears, 105k, currently stock engine, Fram Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: Fuel Pressure (FP), Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Oil Temperature, SMARTY@1, Airtex lift pump 19 psi @ idle, 14 psi @ WOT, Propane Injection, 2 Stroke Oil, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Fooler = Better MPG, Bed Lined, Chrome Nerf Bars, more to come!!

Toys:
'79 CJ5, 258ci, 3" lift, 33x12.50x15, Stock Engine and 3 Speed Tranny
'05 Suzuki, GSX1300R, Hayabusa, All Stock, #3('00 blown engine, '00 stolen, & '05)
The complete live & learn and pass it on by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Out There, Savin' Lives

If you just turn on the truck, the AirDog will not turn on and run, it should spin up and then quit after about 1-2 seconds. When you bump the starter, the pump should run for about 25 seconds.

When you are trying to start the engine, there should be 0-1 psi of fuel pressure, as the VP 44 does not like any pressure on startup. When you bump the started and let the pump run, it will build pressure, but it bleeds off very quickly.
The Airdog turning off after bumping the starter is normal, it will stay running when the truck is running, due to the ECM/PCM giving constant power to the Airdog.

Do you still have summer fuel in the tank? This could be gelling the fuel.

Have you checked for codes? Or is your OBD II port still not working?

Since your gauges are not working, have you checked all the fuses inside and under the hood?
O.O., 01.5, Dodge, 2500, High Output (H.O.) Cummins Turbo Diesel (245/505), Quad Cab Long Bed (QCLB), 4x4, Sport, Original Bosch VP 44 Injection Pump, 6 Speed/NV5600 Transmission, 3.55 Gears, 105k, currently stock engine, Fram Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: Fuel Pressure (FP), Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Oil Temperature, SMARTY@1, Airtex lift pump 19 psi @ idle, 14 psi @ WOT, Propane Injection, 2 Stroke Oil, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Fooler = Better MPG, Bed Lined, Chrome Nerf Bars, more to come!!

Toys:
'05 Suzuki, GSX1300R, Hayabusa, All Stock, #3('00 blown engine, '00 stolen, & '05)
Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 PM

I wonder if maybe I DID run out of fuel and I need to get it primed I guess. 2 years without gauges and I havent run out of fuel yet. Its bound to happen at some point I guess...I dont have old fuel I know that. Ive actually gone through quite a bit of fuel in the last week or 2. I didnt find any blown fuses OBDII still not working
'98 1/2 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 24 valve, 6" stacks, AirDog I 150, Glowshift gauges (fuel press, EGT and boost, Trans temp gauge as well as Transgo shift kit to be installed soon. Other then that Im a stocker!!!.....FOR SALE
Old 02-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Out There, Savin' Lives

You might hae to use a relay to turn on the Airdog and have the trigger going through the ECM/PCM. This removes some strain on the wiring from the comtrol module.

Toys:
Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 PM

so at the risk of sounding like a dumba$$, how do I do that?
Old 02-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pri_i_oh View Post
so at the risk of sounding like a dumba$$, how do I do that?
Trust me, you are not a dumba$$ for asking a question like that. You can pick up a relay quite cheap at any auto parts store and you can also get a plug with wires for it too. Connect the power wire for the air dog and run it to terminal 86, ground terminal 85, battery power (fused) to terminal 30 and to your air dog from terminal 87.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 AM

Now what will this do for me? The airdog has a relay in the harness already. Im i just by passing that?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Out There, Savin' Lives

When wiring the Airdog, look at the size of the wires and size yours accordingly. If they look like 14 g, use 14 g. The bigger the wire, the more amperage it will carry, and the cooler the wire will stay. You can use the wiring connector off the old pump to turn on the relay.

Toys:
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 AM

Im just confused as to what this will do for me.